PDA

View Full Version : Goldwing to Spyder

shooter
05-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Was wondering if anyone went from a Goldwing to the Spyder. Any regrets? I'm kind of stuck on which way to go since my wife got her RS and I like riding it. Thinking about trading my 2010 GL1800 for the RT model.

ARtraveler
05-11-2013, 03:13 PM
You might give this thread a read.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?50706-Goldwing-to-Spyder&highlight=Goldwing+spyder

shooter
05-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks. I need to do a few searches first.

Grandpa Spyder
05-11-2013, 03:25 PM
I did it after owning 5 Goldwings. I only wish my spyder was Goldwing powered. Other then that I am very satisfied with my RTS. I now have 10,000 miles on it and am waiting for Ron's Sway bar to put on. it is quite a different ride as you already know. the hardest thing for me to get used to was changing gears over 4000 RPMs. Check out my Mods on the link in my signature.

rcturner
05-11-2013, 03:45 PM
I have had many heavy touring bikes including three Goldwings, one Harley Ultra Classic and two Voyager XII. The spyder RT I have now is easily the most comfortable for my wife and me. It is fun to ride and attracts much attention everyplace we go. No regrets.

REDSPY
05-11-2013, 04:04 PM
My Goldwing has been sadly sitting in the garage for the past 2 years since we got our RT. I'm thinking its time to put the Goldwing on the market. It did take about 600 good road miles to get the feel for the RT and after my first week long 3000 mile trip, it was clear the comfort and stability of the RT was the winner. Especially in the rain.

coastrider
05-11-2013, 04:16 PM
After thirteen years on Gold Wings I too made the big move last spring. I have no regrets other than missing that 1800 flat six and a little trepidation over the Spider's relative complexity and reliability. I did all my own work on the Wings, but it seems the owner is more dependent on the dealer and the BUDS computer when it comes to the Spyder.

shrubs
05-11-2013, 05:22 PM
I went from a Wing to the Spyder last fall. I absolutely Love my Spyder and I don't regret my decision ins the least.

spyderfever
05-11-2013, 06:16 PM
I had a 96 GL1500 for 5yrs. with over 80,000 miles on it and both the wife and I loved it. That is until I laid it over a couple of times with her on back. We weren't moving though, it just got off balance and was too heavy to hold up. It had a high center of gravity and with the additional weight of my wife, it tipped very easily. Sorry, Babe! We're both 55 and don't like the bruises from hitting the ground. She was quickly getting to the point of not wanting to ride with me anymore. Test drove a Spyder last June and she had a huge smile on her face and said "I want one of these". The rest is history. Traded my GW for a 2012 RT-S and already have 8,000 miles on it. Took several hundred miles to get used to the Spyder, but we both love it and she gets excited everytime we jump on it for a ride.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Was wondering if anyone went from a Goldwing to the Spyder. Any regrets? I'm kind of stuck on which way to go since my wife got her RS and I like riding it. Thinking about trading my 2010 GL1800 for the RT model.

Let's start a contest......My guess is 10,001, :gaah:....Mike...............On second thought that could be LOW :agree:

shooter
05-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks all, it's been a big help.

spyderpoop
05-11-2013, 10:50 PM
just realize the Goldwing is KING of the Bike world and its reliability is surpass to any other bike especially the spyder it not even close to its reliability I had a wing for years and the only reason I got a spyder was for my wife accessibility to get on it easier and hope your a lucky one and get a spyder that dependable but I like my spyder but regret it dearly for the trade as this bike is not as reliable as the wing so you cant go on far trip without in the back of your mind will I get back with out any merchanical problems so that wears on you every ride but good luck I told you how I feel and many as you can read here has had issues with customer service also not like anything Honda would have you deal with but good luck

Motorcycledave
05-11-2013, 11:11 PM
That is a big change to make...I have had 5 GoldWings and above all my wife
loved riding on them, but after being run down by a DRUNK DRIVER and having to get
new knees, my wife said time for a change... the Spyder was what we felt was the
way to go.
Now she will ride with me again but She HATES the seating position and the road pegs
on the GS/RS models so I have installed Rivco floorboards front and rear changed the seat
installed a Madstad windshield and about to take off the 2 brothers exhaust because of noise.
I hope that will do it and make her happy, You all know Happy Wife, Happy Life.
just remember it is not and never will be a GoldWing.
Ride Safe and enjoy
Dave

Chupaca
05-12-2013, 02:02 AM
Just do it...the many that have have spoken..I did and never looked back, no regrets and loving the roadster world..!! :ohyea:

shooter
05-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Now it's time to sell my 2010 GL1800.

x-winger
05-12-2013, 04:16 PM

I rode Goldwings for 29 years but about 18 months ago I developed a health problem that told me I shouldn't be riding on 2 wheels. I initially considered giving up riding all together. However, my wife was also riding a 2 wheeler and didn't want to stop riding. After serious thought we decided to purchase a Spyder RTS and ride double. That didn't work out! I really enjoyed riding the Spyder solo but found the seating position to be uncomfortable. To further complicate matters, my wife didn't like just being a passenger but she absolutely loved piloting the Spyder.

To make a long story short, I test rode (several times) a Harley Tri Glide and found the seating position to be much more comfortable for me than the Spyder. It was also more comfortable than the GL1800 that I had just sold. Final outcome.... the Spyder became my wife's ride and I purchased a Tri Glide. We are both happy and comfortable now.

The Tri Glide is a nice machine but quite different from a Gold Wing.

If the Spyder had been comfortable for me, I would probably have gone with the purchase of a second Spyder in lieu of buying the Harley. The Spyder is an awesome machine and a blast to ride, but has a riding position that isn't comfortable for everyone. Prior to selling your Wing, I recommend that you try to arrange a long ( at least 200 miles) test ride on the RT to be sure that you are comfortable on it.

Good luck with your decision.

Ed

Bob Ledford
05-12-2013, 06:26 PM

I started in GW riding in 1982 on a 1983 1200 Interstate quit riding 1996 with a 1988 1500 with about 125,000 miles of saddle time. Primarily for medical reasons loss of strength in LH.

Got a 2011 RTL in August 2011 have not done any long haul stuff yet but gobs of short hauls. To put it short I LOVE IT. But you have retrain yourself by forgetting almost everything you learned while piloting the GW. I am 72!