PDA

View Full Version : Spyder RS-S exhaust and front wheel aligment

Spyder Wiking
05-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi, my first post. (Sorry if my English isn't perfect)
I live in Sweden and just gotten my second Spyder rss, my first one was a 2011 equipped with a Hindle exhaust.
The new one is a 2013 rss.

After reading about the road holding upgrades i am really disappointed since the new one has got obviously worse road holding then the old one, this is most obvious on poor roads where the ground pressure differs on one of the front wheels. Can a brand new machine need front wheel alignment?
My reseller does not look to eager to pay for a alignment...
Anyway, i wonder if you have got experience of the old AND new front suspension, am I the only one with this problem?

My second question is about the exhaust system.
On the early model the catalyst is mounted in the muffler, but on the new model it looks like the catalyst is mounted before the muffler.
Anyone that knows if i am right?
Anyway, i think the sound is really low, the 2011 model with Hindle exhaust has e really nice bark, but the new stock exhaust doesn't sound at all. (OK it sounds like a small car, but still)
Since i live in Sweden, i need to order in advance, and they didn't write anything about the new exhaust in the promotional texts, i feel a bit fooled, and quite a lot disappointed since there isnt a third party muffler present on the European market yet.
The akropovic muffler is "street legal" and to expensive (i think), feels like a buy i would regret if i did buy it and i doesnt "bark" as i would like to.

If you have a tip pointing to a muffler with better bark, but not to loud, that have been tested in dyno, without juicebox, i would appreciate that.

Chupaca
05-10-2013, 10:58 AM
with your dealer about the updates needed for some of the 2013 models. There was an alignment as well as a ball joint replacement. See if yours needed any. Not sure on the cat converter I think it was always in the elbow joint, and new pipes will be out soon I'm sure.. Welcome to spyderlovers..soon you will get further responses...:thumbup:

NancysToy
05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Your 2013 might need an alignment. As was said, some had issues wiuth that, as well as the suspension ball joints. When the 2013 is right, handling should rival or exceed that of the earlier model. I'd give your dealer a visit.

The 2013 Spyders have adopted the the exhaust configuration used on the RT...across the board. The cat is separate now.

Bob Denman
05-10-2013, 12:27 PM
:welcome: Lamonster posted a video that showed what could be done with the Akrapovic exhaust to give it a little bit more "Bark!" :thumbup:

Spyder Wiking
05-10-2013, 01:53 PM
:welcome: Lamonster posted a video that showed what could be done with the Akrapovic exhaust to give it a little bit more "Bark!" :thumbup:

Yea, i saw that movie, but i didnt think the sound was improved as much as i (or the owner) thought.
That is why i think i would be disappointed.
In Sweden the Acropovic costs about 1900$ ...

Spyder Wiking
05-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Your 2013 might need an alignment. As was said, some had issues wiuth that, as well as the suspension ball joints. When the 2013 is right, handling should rival or exceed that of the earlier model. I'd give your dealer a visit.

The 2013 Spyders have adopted the the exhaust configuration used on the RT...across the board. The cat is separate now.

I will link me reseller to this thread, maybe he can check if there are some alterations needed to my bike.

Spyder Wiking
05-10-2013, 02:16 PM
A little bit about me.
I will be 48 years this year.
Have been working as a systems engineer in Europes largest paper mill for 23 years (Smurfit Kappa Kraftliner Piteå).
Since the year 2006-2007 i have had my own business full time. (started beside my ordinary job in the year 2003)
I own and administrate www.atvforum.se (http://www.atvforum.se), a forum about ATV:s and QUAD:s in Sweden, much like this forum, but about ATV:s.
The forum has got about 500 000-900 000 post/month, witch is large in sweden.
I also own and administrate www.poolforum.se (http://www.poolforum.se) (about swimmingpools and SPA:s), www.varmepumpsforum.com (http://www.varmepumpsforum.com) (about heat pumps and energy savings) and i have a web store selling energy saving products, www.energibutiken.se (http://www.energibutiken.se)
In the web store i also sell a product i have developed, Logger 2020, a datalogger used to monitor heat pumps, solar plants and so on, www.logger2020.se (http://www.logger2020.se) (can be translated by google).

My interest in ATV has diminished since i did get my first Spyder, but i still drive my Can Am Outlander 800 XT-P, especially in winter, when i use it primarily mowing snow, i live in northern Sweden where we have about 70 cm snow each eyar.
I drive my Spyder about 6000 km/year, mostly using it instead of the car, but i quite often drive just for fun.

This means i am a experienced forum user, but i still have to adjust to the culture in this forum, i hope you have patience with me. :pray:
And i hope you don't see this presentation as a commercial, i just want to give a bit of background for you to have in mind when communicating with me.

And once again, i am sorry if my English is not good, Google translate cant fix it all. ;)

And one more info.

I like to write long posts.... 67917

Spyder Wiking
05-10-2013, 03:32 PM
I tried to measure toe-out, and if i am right it was 2 mm toe-in, i think this can be the problem regarding the road holding, but at the same time, my feeling is that the Spyder turns left when the left wheel gets a higher ground pressure?
This is pointing at a to large toe-out...
I think a professional alignment is required, but i am not sure it will resolve the problem.

MikeinGA
05-10-2013, 07:24 PM
:welcome:It's a great place to meet people from around the world. Scotty (aka NancysToy) is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Spyder and other motorcycles. He is more or less our go to guy on this forum.

Flanker
05-11-2013, 10:48 PM
The Two Brothers Racing single muffler slip on (titanium) definitely "barks". There is no doubt why they labeled it for "off road/competition" only. I put in a P1X power tip, and it toned the exhaust down; to what I consider acceptable for street usage. Fit, finish, and workmanship are first rate. Not sure what your noise regs are in Sweden...................good luck. BTW: Your English is much better than my Swedish! :joke:

Spyder Wiking
05-12-2013, 11:37 PM
My friend that where going to buy the 2011 spyder from me this weekend did instead buy the new one.
Hi quite liked the silence with the new exhaust, and does not drive as active/fast as i do, the road holding didn't seem to be an issue for him.
Hi has been thinking about a new one anyway, and since i lowered the price with about 800$ hi made quite a good deal i think. (in total 2300$ below list price, list price in Sweden being about 23000$)
A front wheel alignment costs less then 100$, so if hi wants, he can always try to make that.

I will have my "old" Spyder this season, and i will not buy a new one without trying it out first.
Or at lest see others with mufflers that bark, and see/read about other owners that think the road holding is better, or at least as good as the older version had.
I didnt like the drive by wire throttle either. :dontknow:

I guess Two Bros muffler can be a good option, but with freight costs, customs and VAT, the price will be quite a lot higher than the Hindle exhaust i thought i would be able to fit to the machine.
At least the 800$ i did lower the price, and since there was more i didnt really like with the new model, i decided to keep my old one.
I am satisfied, and i hope my friend that bought the new one will be satisfied as well.