PDA

View Full Version : Are HiFlow oil and transmission filters any good?

master1309
05-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Need to change my oil on 2011 RSS SE5 and was wondering if these filters are good/bad. Dealer says they could cause the transmission to slip? I am trying to save some cost on an oil change. Dealer wants $189 +tax. I can do it for $55 myself, using HiFlow and Royal Purple oil. Any thoughts or experiences?:yikes:

SpyderWolf
05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Need to change my oil on 2011 RSS SE5 and was wondering if these filters are good/bad. Dealer says they could cause the transmission to slip? I am trying to save some cost on an oil change. Dealer wants $189 +tax. I can do it for $55 myself, using HiFlow and Royal Purple oil. Any thoughts or experiences?:yikes:

I have never had an issue using HiFlow filters and know quite a few people that swear by Royal Purple oil as well. If I am not mistaken, Dudley only uses Royal Purple and he and his wife rode their first Spyder across the US with it. I am not sure if BajaRon is still selling filters but it wouldn't hurt to check with him as well. If you can do it for $55 that is very good as the Valvoline full synthetic motorcycle oil I use costs me $50 alone.

BajaRon
05-09-2013, 07:05 PM
I have never had an issue using HiFlow filters and know quite a few people that swear by Royal Purple oil as well. If I am not mistaken, Dudley only uses Royal Purple and he and his wife rode their first Spyder across the US with it. I am not sure if BajaRon is still selling filters but it wouldn't hurt to check with him as well. If you can do it for $55 that is very good as the Valvoline full synthetic motorcycle oil I use costs me $50 alone.

I am still selling HiFlo filters which meet/exceed BRP specs. I've sold a few thousand of these and have never had a problem reported. The transmission flow issues were only with the original BRP transmission filters (to my knowledge).

My filter kits include O-Rings and copper washers as well. You can see pricing for filters and other products I carry by clicking on my Banner Ad on the Home Page here at Spyderlovers

http://www.spyderlovers.com/sponsors/bajaron.jpg

NancysToy
05-09-2013, 07:16 PM
The Hi-Flo filters are excellent, and I use them myself. Just remember that they do not meet BRP specs in regards to the extended oil change intervals. If you use them, to protect your warranty you should stick to 3,000 mile changes. Since your dealer already has unfounded reservations about them, that could be a concern.

hackett43
05-09-2013, 09:09 PM

If your spyder is still under warranty i would let the Dealer do the service. Yes it's pricey, But the service is documented and done by BRP authorized dealer. I wouldn't take any chances if its still under warranty. IMO.

ulflyer
05-10-2013, 05:33 AM
I used Hi Flo until the new extended Xmsn cap came out and the filter was then too short. Has Hi Flo come out with a longer one for the Xmsn now?

SpyderWolf
05-10-2013, 06:43 AM
I used Hi Flo until the new extended Xmsn cap came out and the filter was then too short. Has Hi Flo come out with a longer one for the Xmsn now?

I have the same question for Ron as with the last oil change on my SE5 I switched it over to the new extended HCM filter as well.