PDA

View Full Version : Are we crazy??

Duckmaster
05-09-2013, 11:00 AM
My wife and I are absolutely intrigued with the Spyder RT and are considering purchasing a new Limited model. We are both in our mid 50s with virtually no riding experience. I owned a 100 cc scooter several years ago that I buzzed around town on. She rode a bike thirty years ago, but not since. I took and passed a motorcycle safety course when I had my scooter. This course is now mandatory to receive your motorcycle endorsement in Oregon where we live. My wife is scheduled to take it this July.
Our dream is to hit the road on the Spyder and tour America while avoiding the Interstate highway system as much as is possible. Is this whole idea crazy?? How much time on the Spyder will it take for us not to be a hazard to ourselves and others. I would appreciate any thoughts you experienced riders might have, and please don't hold back. Our thoughts are to spend the next several years getting comfortable on the Spyder by taking incrementally longer trips. Then, when we hit retirement (age 62), hit the road. Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

bullant12
05-09-2013, 11:07 AM
My wife and I are absolutely intrigued with the Spyder RT and are considering purchasing a new Limited model. We are both in our mid 50s with virtually no riding experience. I owned a 100 cc scooter several years ago that I buzzed around town on. She rode a bike thirty years ago, but not since. I took and passed a motorcycle safety course when I had my scooter. This course is now mandatory to receive your motorcycle endorsement in Oregon where we live. My wife is scheduled to take it this July.
Our dream is to hit the road on the Spyder and tour America while avoiding the Interstate highway system as much as is possible. Is this whole idea crazy?? How much time on the Spyder will it take for us not to be a hazard to ourselves and others. I would appreciate any thoughts you experienced riders might have, and please don't hold back. Our thoughts are to spend the next several years getting comfortable on the Spyder by taking incrementally longer trips. Then, when we hit retirement (age 62), hit the road. Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

:welcome: If you read the threads on this website, there are pleanty of rYders that describes your lifestyle. As a newbie motorcycle rider, I had no experience prior to the :spyder2:. Now I have close to 15,000 miles experience, my wife got her own :spyder2: and started an all girls Spyder group. You will need to get used to the machine when you first buy it, don't be running out to the open highway, instead practice curving and braking on an open parking lot/field. Once you start getting comfy and learning to handle it, you will be ready to go on the interstate (you will learn that the only reason motorcyclists use the interstate is because we have no other choice at the time), but the best time in it is going on back roads and taking your time to get to your destination.

As I said, read the threads on this website and you will learn pleanty! You will also get other helpful people on this forum answer your question. So good luck and :congrats:

spyderman526
05-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Well you couldn't have picked a better machine to start a new adventure on I say go for it and enjoy the ride . You will find yourself very much at home on the spyder in a short time

warp10
05-09-2013, 11:11 AM
There are several members that are much older than you that travel around the country. See Murphybrown posts. Since you have not been riding 2 wheel bikes for a while, or a lot, the learning curve should be less. you should have the spyder down in 500-1000 miles. If you are both going to drive then I would suggest the RT SE5, the semi-automatic one.

Captain Fin
05-09-2013, 11:15 AM
My wife and I are very happy with the RTS. I am 67 and my wife 58 and we are semi retired. Go for it!

Chupaca
05-09-2013, 11:15 AM
To the whole getting a roadster and traveling the byways..not the crazy part, don't know you both..!!:roflblack:
About 300 miles or so and your comfort zone will start to cement. You have come upon the best place for all your question so ask away. We have people of all ages traveling just miles to thousands of miles. Once you both take your first ryde you will see what a wonderful fun machine this is. If you haven't yet, test ryde them..good luck and hope to hear back soon..!! :thumbup:

muonwhiz
05-09-2013, 11:22 AM
You are not crazy! Don't let age be any deterrent. There are many ryders out there even older than 50's, so get on that bike and enjoy trips! If you would have been at spyderfest you would have seen all the many machines and ryders- come in all shapes, sizes and descriptions and many women ryding their own machines. All of those people from many backgrounds united by the love of the spyders. You will fit right in! Keep us informed about your purchase and experiences!

ARtraveler
05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
:welcome: You not only have the right ideas, but you came to the right place for all information related to the :spyder2:.

:agree: with all of the above. Since you have not been on motorcycles etc. for awhile--you should find the learning curve to be in the 500-1000 mile range. I have been a two spyder family since 2009 and we have put well over 75,000 miles on the pair of :ani29:'s.

You have three choices:

RS--A sport bike like machine. Small windshield and croutch position for riding.

ST--An in between sport/touring like machine. A slightly more upright position and taller windshield plus saddle bags (depending on model).

RT--the full blown touring version. All the ameneties, storage, and comforts of a touring machine. This is my current ride, and akspyderlady and myself each have our own.

It sounds like your in the market for an RT--but you should test drive the models your interested in just to make sure.

Please let us know what you decide. :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
05-09-2013, 11:38 AM
First off, I think it would be a dream life to tour the country on my Spyder RT. I say - go for it. :thumbup: I think your plan of buying a Spyder now and learning all the ways to enjoy it before the long tour is a good idea.

The rules of the road you learn in the MSF are the same for the Spyder. You're a motorcycle ryder among cagers and you should exercise all the caution any motorcycle ryder does.

Read the "dos & don'ts" thread here on SpyderLovers for more about ryding a Spyder.

When you're ready to start doing more than day-trips, consider a trailer. Since you'll be ryding 2-up, you will probably want more cargo area than even the RT can provide.

Finally, if you get near me in Kansas, let me know and I'll go ryding with you! :dg2:

ARCTIC
05-09-2013, 11:46 AM
I started a poll on this forum and was surprised to discover that 339 out of the 423 that responded are 46 years old and above (80%) !!!! And 37% are between the ages of 56-65 yrs old

Illinois Boy
05-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Brick short of a load...

Half a bubble off...

Inch short of a foot...

Of course we don't think you are NUTS!!! :roflblack:

You asking the loony-bin's opinion! :roflblack:

ElZorroRides
05-09-2013, 12:14 PM
You're not crazy at all. This is the perfect ride for you to do that with but BEWARE! Once you get one, it might not be too long before you're out shopping for a second one....lol.

maryh29
05-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Brick short of a load...

Half a bubble off...

Inch short of a foot...

Of course we don't think you are NUTS!!! :roflblack:

You asking the loony-bin's opinion! :roflblack:

awesome!!!!

Bob Denman
05-09-2013, 12:28 PM
There is a learning curve when it comes to feeling comfortable on the Spyders... Take your time, and learn at your own pace! :thumbup:
Oh! :welcome: :2thumbs:

Cruzr Joe
05-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Ducks can't ride Spyders

But any human can and will. Go for it, you will love it

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SpyderWolf
05-09-2013, 12:40 PM
:welcome: That actually sounds like an awesome plan to me. I would love to be able to do that, but still have too many years of work left ahead of me.

GuitarPlayer
05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
I just got my motorcycle endorsement 3 weeks ago and have now put 750 miles on my 2013 RT Ltd having never ridden a motorcycle before. I'm finally starting to feel pretty comfortable on the Spyder. I highly recommend taking the MSF course. Everything you learn about 2 wheels will apply to riding the Spyder.

I took it in today for it's 600 mile service to a dealer that lives 50 miles from my house riding in the rain. I felt very safe and secure riding in the rain.

I'd say go for it, you'll really enjoy it.

Tony

Agent K
05-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Go for it and enjoy the ride, it's a blast!:yes:

Duckmaster
05-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Well, you've all pretty much settled it for me. We may be crazy. But, we'd probably be crazier not to give this a whirl. Hopefully we'll see you on the road. Go Ducks!

donec
05-09-2013, 01:29 PM
:welcome:Your not crazy enjoy the ride, it's a blast!nojoke

asp125
05-09-2013, 01:44 PM
The Spyder part is not crazy. As for the wanderlust part ........ livin' the dream! (But don't forget to post about it for those of us not there yet)

Bob Denman
05-09-2013, 02:35 PM
:welcome: That actually sounds like an awesome plan to me. I would love to be able to do that, but still have too many years of work left ahead of me.
These jobs of ours sure do get in the way; don't they? :gaah:

SpyderWolf
05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
These jobs of ours sure do get in the way; don't they? :gaah:

Have to get the money for mods from somewhere! :D

My job will also be keeping me from attending the owners event this year because my co-worker already asked for that week off for vacation. :gaah: :banghead:

Bob Denman
05-09-2013, 02:47 PM
My Missus... (and co-worker :yikes:) pulled the slats out from under me for the middle of June. :shocked: :gaah::cus::gaah:

bruiser
05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Purchased a 2010 RTS in 2010 so the wife could ride with me since see wouldn't ride on my 2 wheeler. In 2012 I had to purchase another RTS. The wife had never driven a motorcycle in her life. Within a year of me becoming her instructor she had her license and I couldn't keep her off the Spyder.

SpyderWolf
05-09-2013, 02:53 PM
My Missus... (and co-worker :yikes:) pulled the slats out from under me for the middle of June. :shocked: :gaah::cus::gaah:

Misery loves company, so we can be miserable together. :cheers:

EllijaySpyder
05-09-2013, 02:58 PM
I will be 67 in June and my wife is 56. We juat bought a RT-Limited last wewk. We never had bikes befor. This was my wifes idea as she wants to cruise around the US. I have 200 miles on the bike. The first 150 I did in parking lot and back roads here in the mountains in North Grorgia.. I put 50 miles on it today on inerstate 575. I did 65 and felt very comfortable on the bike.

You are definitely not crazy, just like all the rest of us who want to enjoy life.

As we know he who dies with the most toys WINS.

Melody & Jerry Meinhardt

2013 RT Limited pearl white
RT-622 Trailer
Travel Cover
Bluetooth AM/FM Dongel
Sena Headsets

SpyderWolf
05-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Purchased a 2010 RTS in 2010 so the wife could ride with me since see wouldn't ride on my 2 wheeler. In 2012 I had to purchase another RTS. The wife had never driven a motorcycle in her life. Within a year of me becoming her instructor she had her license and I couldn't keep her off the Spyder.

I bought my Spyder in September 2009. 2 weeks later my wife asked me if she could try riding it. 1 month after that she had her own Spyder. Just a small warning that Spyders can be very addictive. :D

Bob Ledford
05-09-2013, 03:07 PM
All I can say is go for the gusto. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I would recommend thr RTL thereby eliminating having to purchase some nice to have items, plus the more upright seating for the two of you.

If You only get one big shot at it and luck won't let complete it you can still be one up on most every one else. Because we thought about it but never did anything about it. I am 72 and envy you for having the gumption for trying it.

Add yourself in a trailer otherwise you will be planning your runs from laundry mat to laundry mat

bzbaeren
05-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Getting back to your original question, no your not crazy.
So when are you picking up the new ryde?:D

SpyderAnn01
05-09-2013, 04:30 PM
I hadn't ridden 2 wheels in 20 years when I started riding Spyders in June of 2010 since then I have ridden 62,000 miles from one end of the country to the other. I'm on my second RTS which I bought during Spyderfest almost 2 weeks ago and it has over 1,600 miles on it.

Not having ridden two wheels will actually be in your favor as you won't have to unlearn anything. I think your plan is wonderful and wish you many happy miles.

Bob Denman
05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Misery loves company, so we can be miserable together. :cheers:

:cheers:
:2thumbs:

jerpinoy
05-09-2013, 04:53 PM
:welcome::congrats::agree: to all above and the only thing I can add is have fun ride safe and God Bless:yes::yes:

spydaman60
05-09-2013, 05:03 PM
are we crazy?:dontknow: maybe. are we having fun? :yes::clap::yes::clap: definitely!

muleman1
05-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Definitely not crazy.

However, someone with more experience than myself needs to weigh in here on the necessary mods to go cross country. We don't want to give them the impression that they should undertake this journey with a stock RT right off the showroom floor.
:lecturef_smilie:

murphybrown
05-09-2013, 05:29 PM
I started at 70. And no limits...go at the pace you are comfortable with then push the comfort zone some and just repeat...next thing you know there will be no stopping you. :yes:

Flight Risk
05-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Definitely NOY crazy!!!

check out what "Murphy Brown" is doing !!!!!

these bikes are life changing!!!!

LadyDi'sSpyder
05-09-2013, 06:36 PM

We happened into an RT last year, I had never been on a motorcycle and never plan to be. When I saw the Spyder, I was drawn to it immediately. My initial reason was safety, as an RN had seen too many bad outcomes from folks on motorcycles. The Spyder is infinitely more visible, much larger and much more stable to ride. I took the required class in Florida which I highly recommend because it taught me how to ride safely. My husband has a Harley and I'm sure he thought I would ride a few times and then he would inherit the spyder.....well I've put 4k miles on it, ride it almost every day and love it. I'm 59 and still doing home health care, my patients love to see me ride up on my "bat mobile". I never thought I would take to it as much as I have. Think you will love it.:yes:

Oldmanzues
05-09-2013, 09:04 PM
I believe waiting "until" is the crazy part. If you want to do something and you can do it, Do it. "Until" sometimes never comes, to many examples over the years. Oldmanzues

JCSMOKE
05-09-2013, 10:12 PM
So are you convinced? These folks can't all be crazy, well not much anyway.
Let's run down the list
1 easy to ride
2 age is not an obstacle
3 plenty of folks to help where needed
4 be prepared to spend double retail price
5 stable as can be
6 fun like you haven't known in a while

there is your six pack. Drink up and go get one or perhaps 2.

or in other words take the blue pill