PDA

View Full Version : Fuel sending unit or fuel pump or ...

Spyderjuice
05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I have a problem with the gas gauge on my GS 2008 spyder. When I fill up with fuel the gauge then drops to zero showing no fuel - the fuel light even comes on. After I ride 30 or so miles it then shows full and shortly thereafter it drops to half full. Next fill-up same thing, drops to zero. I have talked to four dealers and have all sorts of ideas, but no one has ever seen this problem. It could be the cluster, it could be computer, it could be fuel sending unit. One dealer told me I didn't have a fuel sending unit, but a fuel pump on the '08 models. His best estimate was $900-1000 to fix and would have to keep the unit for awhile to diagnose. The tank has to be removed for the fuel sending unit or pump. I have written an email to BRP service, but no reply from them after a week wait. Thought it was time to come to the experts here for advice and recommendations. My warranty was up this past March 20. Thanks, Stan

NancysToy
05-09-2013, 12:09 PM
The fuel pump/sending unit is combined on the Spyder. Expensive fix. I'd guess that was the problem, but there is no good way to test it. Swapping in another cluster temporarily would tell them which was the culprit.

Chupaca
05-09-2013, 12:18 PM
:agree: If you or them can swap the instrument cluster out and check readings and they are the same then its the other end. Although a reach, check wiring around tank area from the sending/pump unit...good luck..:thumbup:

MikeinGA
05-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Try some SeaFoam 2 oz.. per gal. for 2 fill ups, my mower does that after getting it out of winter storage and I use Stable in the gas over the winter.

MikeinGA
05-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Here's how to check the fuel gauge sending unit with an ohm meter.
The Spyder should be off and the battery disconnected. The picture shows the negative ohm meter probe on the screw frame ground, not on the negative terminal of the battery.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68159&d=1368601431

Great job. Or you can get a clean stick and fill up the tank and mark the stick for full and the bottom of stick is empty.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Spyderjuice
05-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Instead of using a stick I think I'll just keep up with the mileage. I may fix this by trading... I do appreciate all the suggestions and help. I knew you guys would come through. Stan

Spyderjuice
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Update...Thanks again to those who replied. Roger I was impressed with your drawing and the time you took to do that - thanks. I tried the seafoam suggested by Mike and that seems to have worked. The gauge seems to be working after one tank with seafoam added to the gas. I'm working on the second tank and so far so good. The spyder seems to be running better as well. I never heard of the product except on this forum and I'm impressed with it so far. The can says you can add it to your oil - anybody tried that? Stan

MikeinGA
05-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Update...Thanks again to those who replied. Roger I was impressed with your drawing and the time you took to do that - thanks. I tried the seafoam suggested by Mike and that seems to have worked. The gauge seems to be working after one tank with seafoam added to the gas. I'm working on the second tank and so far so good. The spyder seems to be running better as well. I never heard of the product except on this forum and I'm impressed with it so far. The can says you can add it to your oil - anybody tried that? StanGood to hear that helped.