PDA

View Full Version : New Member Introduction.

shunkmanitu
05-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Wanted to keep my Pacific Coast but even after about a $7000 trike conversion I would still have an eleven year old bike. It will be August when the Spyder gets here. There is a waiting list for all of them but understand they are just getting the RED ones into production. From what I have heard our dealer is one of the top sellers, guess it is just that we have a large bunch of OLD bike riders around here.

I could again ride the PC after a long lay-off but didn't trust my legs to hold it two-up. I would be hard on a great marriage to dump the Lady in a parking lot some morning! Thought about the new SE5 but the added cost and even worse, a longer wait for it, kept me with the standard shift. If I ever loose a foot to the Diabetes I will try to get the VA to spring for an aftermarket power shifter and hand brake conversion.

A fellow from Australia who produces custom cruise controls for motorcycles had one of his contacts pick up my PC for the price I wanted (a bargain) and is getting it refurbished so he can ride it while visiting his distributors here in the States. I understand he is developing a control for the Spyder and may have it before he makes his summer trip over here. If any one is interested I can send a link to his site.

Iktome Luta will be a stylish and fun way to get to my tri-weekly dialysis treatments. I will need to develop a secure rifle case to fit the rear rack so I can use the Spyder for trips to the Sunday Morning Military Arms Shoot at the gun club. Does anyone make a front plate holder so I can display my VietNam Warrior Feather Tag?

A few years ago I used to have trouble packing $50 worth of groceries from the Commissary on the Pacific Coast but found that my reduced eating due to my CKD diet and today's prices should make the Can-Am good for about a $125 shopping trip! It has been years since I last took a MSF Rider Course (required for the Navy Base Pass) and no longer have my card I was worried about getting the Trike on base. Common sense has prevailed, though a Motorcycle Endorsement is required on the FL DL, the Pass Office treats it like a car for "driving" on base!

Look for me on the roads around the FL Panhandle and Baja Alabama.

Shunkmanitu, Ikce Wicasa, EWC USN (ret)
100% Disabled Agent Orange VietNam Vet.

Lamonster
05-25-2008, 07:16 PM
:welcome: :spyder: :doorag:

SPYMAN
05-25-2008, 08:36 PM
:welcome: :congrats:

SPYMAN

bjt
05-25-2008, 09:18 PM
A few years ago I used to have trouble packing $50 worth of groceries from the Commissary on the Pacific Coast but found that my reduced eating due to my CKD diet and today's prices should make the Can-Am good for about a $125 shopping trip!

Shunkmanitu, Ikce Wicasa, EWC USN (ret)
100% Disabled Agent Orange VietNam Vet.

:welcome:

Today I got $75 worth of groceries and it filled the trunk, rear seat bag and both saddlebags. Of course I buy the cheap stuff so, if you bought all name brand, you could easily stick $125 worth of groceries in the Spyder.

shunkmanitu
05-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Of course I buy the cheap stuff so, if you bought all name brand, you could easily stick $125 worth of groceries in the Spyder.

Thanks for the "welcome", also to SpyMan and LAMonster.

Saw the post on the Corbin hard bags, haven't even taken delivery on the Trike yet and already dreaming of additions! While single, the various bikes were my only transportation but ten years ago Sunkawakanwi brought a car back into my life. Shopping for just me and Pixel (cat) a bike was fine but even the PC could not handle a week of food, etc, for the three of us.

I used to shop cheap, lots of coupons, but now the CKD (dialysis) diet restrictions make me very choosy. It means reading labels to reduce sodium, potassium, & phosphors, lots of fresh stuff, not many prepared items, along with MAJOR price increases have combine to changed things.

Looks like the Spyder is close to the PC in storage, once got 13 2L soda bottles in the trunk during a sale. Since we have gone to digital cameras I won't have to pack nearly as many "extras" just to take wildlife and scenic shots. I was only half joking in my intro about the case for the SKS Carbine. Would make for a very pleasent Sunday outing to take the Spyder up the the Escambia Delta! Seems that something from the BRP Snowmobile line might be made to work.

As you can tell I am READY to get out of the four wheel cage and now there may be a longer wait for the Iktomi Luta (Red Spyder).

Time for some beauty sleep.

Shunkmanitu, Ikce Wicasa, EWC, USN (ret)
100% Combat Disabled VietNam Vet.

jnt
05-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Boujou!

Welcome, and congrats on your order! Your original post mentioned cruise control - I put one on W's, very similar to Lamonster's setup. Oh - there is someone making electric shifters that work on Spyders, when the need arises.

Meanwhile, thanks for your willingness to be a warrior. And, again, WELCOME!

Smylinacha
05-26-2008, 06:57 PM

dryheat
05-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm sure you will enjoy the new ride when it comes in. By the way... when it does, you will have to change your profile picture to one with a big grin!
:congrats: