PDA

View Full Version : ST heat on left side

azjerry
05-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Our ST-S seems to get pretty hot on the left side, just in front of the seat about where the left knee is. It doesn't bother me, I guess my legs stick out a little farther but when my wife rides it, it is really noticeable to her. the left side is very much hotter than the right side. Is this common, anybody else have an issue with it or is it just us?

BikerDoc
05-07-2013, 09:17 PM
I test rode an STS for a couple of hours and felt like I had to keep my leg away from the tupperware in order to avoid
getting burned. Dealer said nothing wrong with bike, just a hot spot on it. Apparently most riders ride with their legs away from the bike so it doesn't come up often

Big Arm
05-07-2013, 09:17 PM
High Temp exhaust wrap will cure that problem. Wrap as much of the pipe as possible.

azjerry
05-07-2013, 09:28 PM
I've downloaded the service manual but not looked at it yet so I know nothing about the configuration of this machine. Is the exhaust that high up on the left side?

flamingobabe
05-07-2013, 09:44 PM
There is heat on the left side near knee and seat.......I would think that shorter people will be affected more....I feel it...the exhaust is not that high....but there is no place for the heat to escape

azjerry
05-07-2013, 09:46 PM
thanks all for the replies.

capt.jim
05-07-2013, 10:03 PM
I wrapped my exhaust and also applied Thermo Tec adhesive backed aluminum heat shield to the inside of the panels which helped even more than the wrap did. I'm also thinking of removing the black plastic block-off strip between the side panels, the 2013 RS's don't have it on there. The left knee used to get really hot, I barely feel it at all now.67813

Rock'nSTLtd
05-07-2013, 10:52 PM
I to have noticed the heat on my left leg. So far I have just been on short rides and have tolerated it; however we will see how it is on a longer trip. May have to try the Thermo Tec.

Chupaca
05-07-2013, 11:02 PM
the forward cylinder exhaust pipe runs across that side. The rear cylinder drops down. Most of the heat will be felt when in traffic/stop and go. Summer is bad, so wrapping the pipe as well as heat shield will help..I just keep on moving fast...:roflblack:

Zenagirl
05-09-2013, 03:23 PM
I wrapped my exhaust and also applied Thermo Tec adhesive backed aluminum heat shield to the inside of the panels which helped even more than the wrap did. I'm also thinking of removing the black plastic block-off strip between the side panels, the 2013 RS's don't have it on there. The left knee used to get really hot, I barely feel it at all now.67813

Will applying this to the inside of the panel not make it too hot for the bike? I have a problem with the heat as well, and I like to sit with my knees next to the bike, not away from the bike, and have already been wondering how I will survive on hot days as it gets quite hot there. Sounds like a great solution you came up with, but I don't want to cause my bike to overheat. Do I need to be concerned about that happening? Thanks!

capt.jim
05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
I did the same exact setup on my GS and never overheated, and I do notice the ST has a much more powerful fan, it really puts out the air compared to the GS. I may remove the block off strip of black plastic to let more heat out also, and removing the splash panels underneath will also give the heat a place to escape and make your oil changes much easier.

Zenagirl
05-11-2013, 01:21 AM
I did the same exact setup on my GS and never overheated, and I do notice the ST has a much more powerful fan, it really puts out the air compared to the GS. I may remove the block off strip of black plastic to let more heat out also, and removing the splash panels underneath will also give the heat a place to escape and make your oil changes much easier.

Wonderful! I am going to give it try! Thanks so much for the suggestion. :clap::clap::clap:

azjerry
05-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Please enlighten me. where is the black plastic block off strip?

capt.jim
05-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Please enlighten me. where is the black plastic block off strip?
The black plastic strip is between the oil reservoir side cover and the mid side panel on the ST, if you look on the other side there isn't one. The RS's have neither one, not sure why they would put one on just the ST, but that may explain the heat issue unless RS owners are noticing the heat also. It is easy enough to remove and see if it makes a difference before you wrap the exhaust or add the heat barrier. You may get a little heat coming up through there while sitting still but the panel may not get as hot while riding. The front exhaust runs just a couple of inches under that panel and strip, wrapping even 12 inches of that pipe may help also.

azjerry
05-12-2013, 03:31 PM
The black plastic strip is between the oil reservoir side cover and the mid side panel on the ST, if you look on the other side there isn't one. The RS's have neither one, not sure why they would put one on just the ST, but that may explain the heat issue unless RS owners are noticing the heat also. It is easy enough to remove and see if it makes a difference before you wrap the exhaust or add the heat barrier. You may get a little heat coming up through there while sitting still but the panel may not get as hot while riding. The front exhaust runs just a couple of inches under that panel and strip, wrapping even 12 inches of that pipe may help also.

OK thanks.

HuckFin
05-12-2013, 08:16 PM
I have a 2013 RS-S and have noticed heat on left side when stopped or going slow on a hot day, 80 deg or so, but not bad. Someone posted about a week ago that they put the 2013 ST plastic strip on their RS and it REDUCED heat on their left leg.

capt.jim
05-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Stopped or going slow for an extended period on an 80 degree day you will feel heat coming from anywhere there is an opening, but at 70 mph my ST would get so warm where my left knee hugs the panel I would find myself holding my knee out 4-5" away.

azjerry
05-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Yesterday I wrapped the exhaust pipe and the wife took it for a ride. No noticeable difference in heat, the left side is very hot to the touch. I guess we'll try something else.

JKMSPYDER
05-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Capt. Jim mentioned removing the splash panels under the ST to help with the heat issue. Also in another thread, Lamont mentioned removing the splash panel on an RT when making your first oil change and leaving it off. I just wonder if leaving the splash panels off of my ST is a good idea if I am cruising on a wet road or run over road debris. Has anyone removed their ST splash panels? If so, any ill effects under different road conditions?

Spydr in KS
05-18-2013, 02:12 PM
My left side splash panel fell off after an oil change (long story). After having a new one installed I think there is less heat...:dontknow:

flamingobabe
05-18-2013, 03:26 PM
we cut a hole in mine...change oil easier and lets hot air out

WaltH
05-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Two-wheel motorcycle riders are conditioned to hug the tank with their knees. Obviously, this is not necessary on a Spyder. If you have a SE5 with the huge floorboards, you only have to move your foot to the center of the floorboard to avoid the hot air flow. Maybe this is another reason to get a SE5.

capt.jim
05-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Capt. Jim mentioned removing the splash panels under the ST to help with the heat issue. Also in another thread, Lamont mentioned removing the splash panel on an RT when making your first oil change and leaving it off. I just wonder if leaving the splash panels off of my ST is a good idea if I am cruising on a wet road or run over road debris. Has anyone removed their ST splash panels? If so, any ill effects under different road conditions?I have removed my splash panels on my ST and also my GS 35,000 miles ago, along with the rear fenders and upper and lower belt guards on both, haven't had a problem with anything, knock on wood.

azjerry
05-19-2013, 07:30 PM
The splash panels are the black plastic pieces below the floor boards, right? Why did you remove all that, do you just like the appearance better or some other reason?

Can-Am Poogs
05-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Good to see they moved it from the right foot.

capt.jim
05-19-2013, 09:40 PM
The splash panels are the black plastic pieces below the floor boards, right? Why did you remove all that, do you just like the appearance better or some other reason?

The splash panels for ease of oil changes and cooling, the rest only for aesthetics.

greybeard
05-31-2013, 10:38 PM
the regional rep almost called me a liar about the left side heat. He noticed that the slots below
the tank on the ST are closed off,said that the hot air could be crossing over from right side
will try a cam can on the right blower before anything else. mine gets almost unbearable

Edsts
06-03-2013, 08:56 AM
The heat is on , very surprise the plastic does not melt , forget riding with shorts tried that this weekend and I had to keep my left leg from touching the side wall , when making a sharp turn I usually squeeze my legs to the side walls , once again for as much as this machine cost . I just very disappointed that it was built in this manner. Also can't believe their R&D dept did not notice the heat !

JKMSPYDER
06-03-2013, 01:33 PM
I took care of my heat problem on my ST-S for about $60. I bought some exhaust wrap and adhesive heat tape from my local auto store. I wrapped the exhaust on the left side with the wrap, then applied heat tape to the inside of the upper left panel and the black plastic strip by the oil tank. It has reduced my heat problem considerably!

azjerry
06-06-2013, 02:35 PM
The exhaust wrap didn't help me any at all but I never heard of heat tape. I'll look for that.

pro10is
06-26-2013, 06:30 AM
High Temp exhaust wrap will cure that problem. Wrap as much of the pipe as possible.
Don't waste your time and money with exhaust wrap, it's worthless for this particular problem. The original purpose of exhaust wrap was to attempt to increase the exhaust gas temperature in an effort to decrease its density. This is called exhaust scavenging and it is an attempt to gain a little more power using the same diameter tubing. Exhaust wrap was not meant to realistically reduce the external temperatures of pipes enough to resolve the problem of external heat dissipation.

As I was going through the difficult task of wrapping my exhaust I said to myself: you idiot, you know the laws of thermodynamics, no way this is going to work. And it didn't, not even a little. There is just far too little insulation available with exhaust wrap even when overlapped correctly to possibly contain the constant extreme high temperatures generated by the exhaust. It helps for about the first ten minutes after which the heat just bleeds right through. It may lower the surface temp a little but what real difference does it make if instead of 990 degrees it's 905 degrees? If anyone tells you it works just dare them to grab their wrapped exhaust pipe after the engine has been running for a while. It would take the kind of ultra high tech ceramic heat insulation used on the Space Shuttle to effectively contain the temperatures constantly generated by the exhaust, certainly not a mere eighth inch or so of woven fiberglass or even the "pulverized lava rock" nonsense used in the so-called premium wrap I tried.

The only thing that may help a bit is insulating the tupperware with thick foil covered foam high temp heat insulation wherever the exhaust pipe is nearby. BRP already includes some of this type of insulation, so try adding more. It'll still get hot after a while though so don't expect night and day results.

Ga Blue Knight
06-26-2013, 06:41 AM

The splash panels are the flat plastic pieces on the bottom of the bike that are Parallel to the road surface. The thought is to allow a large opening on the very bottom of the bike. This should allow heat to be pull down and out of the engine compartment as you move by what's called a Venturi effect. For it to work fully you need some air intake on top or sides.

oldgoat
06-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Don't waste your time and money with exhaust wrap, it's worthless for this particular problem. The original purpose of exhaust wrap was to attempt to increase the exhaust gas temperature in an effort to decrease its density. This is called exhaust scavenging and it is an attempt to gain a little more power using the same diameter tubing. Exhaust wrap was not meant to realistically reduce the external temperatures of pipes enough to resolve the problem of external heat dissipation.

As I was going through the difficult task of wrapping my exhaust I said to myself: you idiot, you know the laws of thermodynamics, no way this is going to work. And it didn't, not even a little. There is just far too little insulation available with exhaust wrap even when overlapped correctly to possibly contain the constant extreme high temperatures generated by the exhaust. It helps for about the first ten minutes after which the heat just bleeds right through. It may lower the surface temp a little but what real difference does it make if instead of 990 degrees it's 905 degrees? If anyone tells you it works just dare them to grab their wrapped exhaust pipe after the engine has been running for a while. It would take the kind of ultra high tech ceramic heat insulation used on the Space Shuttle to effectively contain the temperatures constantly generated by the exhaust, certainly not a mere eighth inch or so of woven fiberglass or even the "pulverized lava rock" nonsense used in the so-called premium wrap I tried.

The only thing that may help a bit is insulating the tupperware with thick foil covered foam high temp heat insulation wherever the exhaust pipe is nearby. BRP already includes some of this type of insulation, so try adding more. It'll still get hot after a while though so don't expect night and day results.

Excellent. A fellow scientist who applies his brain.

spyderrider12
07-03-2013, 08:06 AM
So I should just use the Thermo-tec heat shield and not bother wrapping the exhaust pipes? Also, does anyone have a picture of the splash guards? Couldn't understand what part was being talked about.

thrinsag
07-04-2013, 04:37 PM
I just got my ST-S and feel an awful lot of heat on the left side. Also read in the ST tech section where a brake fluid reservoir melted (thread just posted on 6-30-13). Wouldn't making some of these moddifications void my warranty??

Highwayman2013
07-05-2013, 04:50 PM
The splash panels are on the bottom, under the engine.

Zenagirl
07-14-2013, 07:55 PM

I asked the tech to apply another layer of insulation to the inside of the left panel because my thigh was getting burned through my jeans. He said there wasn't room for another layer. I also told him other owners of the STs were also having extreme heat problems on the left side. Told him it actually burns our legs, I have pink marks on my legs from the heat. Very very uncomfortable! He asked if BRP came up with a solution. I mentioned folks are wrapping pipes, adding extra insulation, and even cutting holes in panels or removing them. He's going to do some research. Hope he comes up with something!

MikeinGA
07-15-2013, 04:00 PM
There is heat on the left side near knee and seat.......I would think that shorter people will be affected more....I feel it...the exhaust is not that high....but there is no place for the heat to escape

I have the same problem with my 2011 RS-S. I taped my headers with Titanium header tape, it helped but it still hot on a long ride. I'm going to a install heat reflective barrier on the inside of my panels and use an air wing push into the area. That should do it for my RS-S. The big heat problem with the ST's is right under the seat and gas tank is the catalytic converter that creates a lot of heat. One way to remove that much heat is to ducted outside air directly over top of a heat shield that reflects the heat away from of the gas tank and rider. THE POBLEM with both RS's & ST's is you need a fan/fans to move this air when sitting still, like in traffic or stop lights. That's IMHO.

Mike

billrob71
07-18-2013, 10:02 PM
I have the same problem with mine on my 13 RSS, I know this is debate is going back and forth but I did wrap mine with header wrap for right now. I wrapped it about 4 times around the pipe which is alot more then the package says is needed but used what I had remaining. Had a 40 foot length of wrap and used it all on that pipe from the first bend to the bend at the drive belt. There is no heat felt coming up on the left side anymore. It's been in the mid to upper 90's right now and hit over a 100 today, road the bike, and it hit 5 bars on the temp gauge and put my hand inch away from the pipe before there was heat enough to feel, and the heat on my leg is very minimal.

JacqueTanis
07-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Air Wing Push?

I have the same problem with my 2011 RS-S. I taped my headers with Titanium header tape, it helped but it still hot on a long ride. I'm going to a install heat reflective barrier on the inside of my panels and use an air wing push into the area. That should do it for my RS-S. The big heat problem with the ST's is right under the seat and gas tank is the catalytic converter that creates a lot of heat. One way to remove that much heat is to ducted outside air directly over top of a heat shield that reflects the heat away from of the gas tank and rider. THE POBLEM with both RS's & ST's is you need a fan/fans to move this air when sitting still, like in traffic or stop lights. That's IMHO.

Mike

tajohn
07-19-2013, 06:37 PM
billrob71 This is the first positive heat reduction post.....Keep us posted on future rides.:yes: