PDA

View Full Version : Getting 2013 RT

Showie
05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Decided I was getting to old for riding 2 up with my 2008 Piaggio. Gets 55 mpg so will keep it for running around town. Picking up new Viper Red RT :f_spider: 2morrow for longer trips 2 up. Any advice for a noob?

ARtraveler
05-07-2013, 06:03 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde. :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
05-07-2013, 06:10 PM
:welcome: just remember that the Spyder doesn't handle like a two wheeler at all.

SPYDER Mike
05-07-2013, 06:12 PM
:congrats: & :welcome: we need some more :spyder2:'s in this area!!!

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Congratulations! :yes::yes::ohyea::ohyea: Just keep a light grip on the bars, and groove to the feeling! :2thumbs:

mclaw44
05-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Congrats and Welcome! to our addiction:yes::yes::yes:

MtlBen
05-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Congrats !

There is a good "Do's and don't" thread in the general Spyder discussion section. Search a bit and you will find it.

Plan some time to go through these forums: you will discover an amazing source of information.

My computer screen has been my best friend through the first months of ownership.

...Ben...

SPYD1
05-07-2013, 07:33 PM
You will love it!

UKBLUE1
05-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Welcome and congratulations, the Spyder will be your ryde of choice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Chupaca
05-07-2013, 11:29 PM
:congrats: on the new ryde...advise..you came to the right place. You just ask and you will get all the advise you can handle. Some good some lopsided sometimes you will have to take an average but never bad..!! :lecturef_smilie:

DoggyDaddy
05-08-2013, 01:18 AM
I recently traded my V-Star 950 for a 2012 RT Limited and love it. I also have a Piaggio MP3 that my wife primarily rides and it is a blast to ride but very different from the Spyder. My advise is to read as many posts on this forum as possible. There is a ton of great info here for newbies and experienced owners alike. It took me about 200 miles to get used to the differences between riding a regular motorcycle and the Spyder. If you have ever ridden a snowmobile or watercraft the transition will be much easier (as it was for me). The biggest difference is the way you steer and handle corners. You cannot countersteer on a Can-Am as you would on a two-wheeler. You will find yourself actually steering through turns although shifting your body weight is still beneficial. Once you get the hang of cornering you will find the Spyder to be a great machine for commuting or touring.

Also, watch your speed over speed bumps or dips in the road. It is very easy to scrape the front skid plate if you don't slow down enough. When you are on the freeway in windy conditions you will likely experience more movement from the wind due to the large profile catching the wind. Same thing when you pass a semi or other large vehicle. I actually found riding two-up to be better in these conditions as the added weight seem to help stabilize the Spyder.

Finally, the Can-Am likes to run at high RPM's....not the norm for a v-twin. I found that upshifting at 5,000 rpm is ideal and try to keep the revs between 4,500 and 5,500 rpm. I don't shift into 5th gear until I hit 65 mph. At 70 mph the engine is running at about 5,100 rpm which is the sweet spot for the motor. Don't worry about the revs if you want to cruise at 75 to 78 mph, you can cruise all day at that speed....unless the cops are not particularly friendly!

Oh, one last thing, your fuel economy will never be great. Expect 26 to 28 mpg until you get the engine broken in and into the low 30's afterwards. Remember, this is a heavy machine, not a 550 lb Piaggio.

CyncySpyder
05-08-2013, 04:44 AM
:firstplace:Welcome to the Best Damn Forum on the WWW for Anything & Everything Spyder Related :firstplace:

(http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners)As referenced by others, here's the link to the Noob thread
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

:bowdown:full of Great Info for new Spyder Owners :thumbup:

:shocked:Oh, and if no one has clued you in just yet :lecturef_smilie:

:clap:The purchase price of your Brand New Spyder :p
:gaah:Is really just the DOWN PAYMENT on all the future Farkles your gonna be get'n to truly make the machine your own :gaah:

:2thumbs:But it's SO WORTH IT :2thumbs:
:yes: Enjoy the Ryde :yes:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64719&d=1363621102 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2698&attachmentid=64718)

GloryRyders
05-08-2013, 05:56 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on getting a :spyder:. You have found the best place for info! :2thumbs:

PMay
05-08-2013, 06:51 AM
Welcome to spyderslovers.com from another newbie to a newbie lol... This is an awesome place. Anything you need to know can be found here! Not to mention the great people..

hope you enjoy it as much as I do:yes:

Bob Denman
05-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Oh! :lecturef_smilie: Stay away from "That Denman Guy" :shocked: ... He's bound to lead you smack dab into TRUBBLE! :roflblack:

Spydee8
05-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Welcome to the family!!

NancysToy
05-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Great combination! Nancy considered a Piaggio MP3, and I rode one. They seem like great in-town vehicles. At that time there was only a 250, though, and she needed a highway flyer. Along came the Spyder and she found something even better. You are gonna love the RT...and Viper Red is my favorite!

bruiser
05-09-2013, 09:39 AM
first two mods you'll need. Spyderpops bump skid (possum pusher) and Bajaron sway bar. JMHO.

bullant12
05-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Great combination! Nancy considered a Piaggio MP3, and I rode one. They seem like great in-town vehicles. At that time there was only a 250, though, and she needed a highway flyer. Along came the Spyder and she found something even better. You are gonna love the RT...and Viper Red is my favorite!

:welcome: and :agree: on Viper Red... it's the fastest color!;):roflblack:

MouthPiece
05-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Not anymore!!! ;)

Chris

bullant12
05-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Not anymore!!! ;)

Chris

I didn't know shortbusses went that fast!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack: And with a matching trailer!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack:

Showie
05-09-2013, 01:30 PM
first two mods you'll need. Spyderpops bump skid (possum pusher) and Bajaron sway bar. JMHO.
I kno what the anti-sway is but have not heard of possum pusher ;-)

Showie
05-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Every1 knows that :shocked:

MouthPiece
05-09-2013, 01:50 PM
I didn't know shortbusses went that fast!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack: And with a matching trailer!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack:

OUCH!!!!!!!

Chris

bullant12
05-09-2013, 04:31 PM
OUCH!!!!!!!

Chris

:chill:Don't hurt... we'll wait for you!;)

Bob Denman
05-10-2013, 01:58 PM
I kno what the anti-sway is but have not heard of possum pusher ;-)
SpyderPops sells a "Bumpskid" that bolts on under the front of the bike to protect it better than the original skidplate does...
The "Possum Pusher" term, is a nickname lovingly given to it by the folks in here. :D