PDA

View Full Version : help in the “convincing” my wife

mclaw44
05-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Ok my Spyder lover friends, I need your help. I need help in the “convincing” my wife I NEED a 2013 RT SE5 Limited. My current ride is a 2009 SM5 with lots of mods. Her side of the story “you have so much vested in your Spyder”. So Please Help, give me your witty words you guys / gals are so good at coming up with and let’s see if this works and I can bring home a new Spdyer to my garage. :shemademe_smilie:

SPYD1
05-07-2013, 11:59 AM
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Just go buy it and surprise her!

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Does she ride with you?
Put her up in the Navigator's perch of an RT, and the bike ought to sell itself! :thumbup:

asp125
05-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Depends. It's one thing to trade up, quite another to drop coin on a second one. You could just leave maps and route plans on the coffee table, from Ohio to say .... Sturgis or Yellowstone, you know.. somewhere a long long way away that needs luggage space and a comfy pillion seat? ;)

boborgera
05-07-2013, 12:32 PM
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Just go buy it and surprise her!

That doesn't work too well, With Woman"" Unless like in my case, every time a new bike or ATV shows up unexpectedly in my barn, A large check shows up in her hands made out to a furniture store..:bowdown:

bullant12
05-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Ok my Spyder lover friends, I need your help. I need help in the “convincing” my wife I NEED a 2013 RT SE5 Limited. My current ride is a 2009 SM5 with lots of mods. Her side of the story “you have so much vested in your Spyder”. So Please Help, give me your witty words you guys / gals are so good at coming up with and let’s see if this works and I can bring home a new Spdyer to my garage. :shemademe_smilie:

Best thing in my advantage was that I kept insisting. In your case, just convince her it is an upgrade on her comfort!nojoke

Been there... done that!:yikes::lecturef_smilie: Sometimes the saying "in the doghouse" goes literaly...

That doesn't work too well, With Woman"" Unless like in my case, every time a new bike or ATV shows up unexpectedly in my barn, A large check shows up in her hands made out to a furniture store..:bowdown:

Or the credit cards showing clothing stores or motorcycle parts (in my case, motorcycle gear AND mods on her RS-S)!:yikes:

mclaw44
05-07-2013, 12:38 PM
She does ride once and awhile.....mmmmmm complains there just isn't enougth room for the two us. GREAT POINT! thats a good one!

Does she ride with you?
Put her up in the Navigator's perch of an RT, and the bike ought to sell itself! :thumbup:

Doc45
Just tell her the old one is broke. It will cost to much to replace the kanuton valve and wabbolator shaft :hun:. And that it also keep leaking blinker fluid :yikes:.

Worked for me :clap:.

SpyderRx
Just tell her you would lose too much money if you try to take it back!

Kratos
05-07-2013, 12:40 PM
You want to do more long traveling (with her). And to spend more time with her and want her to be more included in your hobby than she already is. And the RT is the best way for you both to build your relationship "comfortably."

mclaw44
05-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Yep RS cost me double when you count the ring on her finger "upgrade" and I ask all the time if she will park it next to the spyder ;)

arntufun
05-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Where I live the Man is in charge !!!!!! :popcorn:

jerpinoy
05-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Tell her do your best to fix old :spyder2: and keep praising your friends who own a 2013 RT. Be humble and less dictator. What about a very nice expensive diner and a diamond for her this coming mothers day? You can bring your idea of new :spyder2: by then. Good luck and let us know what work out?

scooterexpress
05-07-2013, 12:48 PM
also point out that the rt is safer then the one you have now,you got to put her on it sitting in the back with backrest armrest cup holder music..this is when my wife said lets go sign the papers i'm sold.

asp125
05-07-2013, 12:51 PM
does your wife lurk on this forum? :yikes:

Jeriatric
05-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Another fella with a similar problem - choices!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CddnsHSlMw

Kidding, of course.

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 12:57 PM
You want to do more long traveling (with her). And to spend more time with her and want her to be more included in your hobby than she already is. And the RT is the best way for you both to build your relationship "comfortably."

:shocked: Oh man!! You are good... :bowdown::thumbup::bowdown::firstplace:

PrairieSpyder
05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
As a woman, I can offer 2 thoughts:

1. Let her get really involved in the farkling. :ohyea:

2. Jewelry goes really well with Spyders. :dg2:

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Patti, Where were you 32 years' ago? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_11.gif

PrairieSpyder
05-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Patti, Where were you 32 years' ago? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_11.gif

Aaaawwww, Bob. . .:opps:

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 01:38 PM
:D ;)

ARtraveler
05-07-2013, 01:41 PM
What's her favorite color? A pretty :spyder2: and color coordinated ryding attire.........everyone likes new duds. :thumbup:

Seriously, a purchase that big should be discussed and agreed upon--it could cause problems otherwise.

JCSMOKE
05-07-2013, 01:44 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbl ack::roflblack:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbl ack::roflblack:

Take another hit and pass that joint this way!

Oklahoma Spyder
05-07-2013, 02:11 PM
I convinced my wife that I needed to upgrade from the 2011 rt to the 2013 rt limited. way better ride. safer. way more comfortable and auto trans this time, so she can drive if something heaven forbid happens to me. she loves to ryde on the back seat. one ride on a nice day and she will be hooked. You getting that bike will enable you to tell her it is already loaded. no need for more mods.........

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Take another hit and pass that joint this way!

:agree: it's got to be a pretty primo blend... :thumbup:

harrypottar
05-07-2013, 02:28 PM

:roflblack::roflblack:, the fact that your wife still as you believing that you're still in charge is a testament that you're not. Only once you realize that you're not in charge can you only start to control the out of charge situation.

Harry

muonwhiz
05-07-2013, 03:07 PM

Show her how to ryde he spyder. It is a great machine for ladies, since it does not matter if the legs are not long. Soon she will beat you down there to get an RT and maybe more than one!

Kratos
05-07-2013, 03:10 PM
:shocked: Oh man!! You are good... :bowdown::thumbup::bowdown::firstplace:

If only you could hear it in my voice, lol. Man, I'm a pro at this....been sweettalking my wife for years...:2thumbs:

RT Driver
05-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Just let her drive! The semi-automatic with the brake on the floor will have her going in no time. Have her friend the "Girls on Spyders (GOS)" page on Facebook. She'll make lots of new friends to show her new jewelry off to.:D

muonwhiz
05-07-2013, 03:46 PM
I convinced my wife that I needed to upgrade from the 2011 rt to the 2013 rt limited. way better ride. safer. way more comfortable and auto trans this time, so she can drive if something heaven forbid happens to me. she loves to ryde on the back seat. one ride on a nice day and she will be hooked. You getting that bike will enable you to tell her it is already loaded. no need for more mods.........

No more need for mods! There's always a need for more mods! Don't make a gross misrepresentation like that! :) But after getting the new bike, wait a month or so before sneaking on the first mods. But great suggestion on getting her involved in driving the bike and also getting motorcycle license too! Take her to spyderfest or other spyder events where she can see lots of women riding their own bikes and also enjoying navigating.

r1100rider
05-07-2013, 04:16 PM
This is an easy one just get her riding her own spyder and then she will be hooked then whatever you want for riding will be ok

cgistudio
05-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Good luck with this one dude :roflblack:

Chupaca
05-07-2013, 04:21 PM
With all those who said let her sit on it..take her on a test ryde it is your best selling point. Could also say "look it already has everything, no need for farkeling" tee hee....:roflblack: She might believe you....!!

RMC055
05-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Tell her she can have the current Spyder.

Bob Ledford
05-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Just bite the bullet, stomp you feet and wail loudly screaming I will commit suicide if I can not have a new Spyder RTL. If she hands you a loaded gun go to the next step. Tell her it will mess up the living room rug. If that does not change her mind. Well we tried!

you could buy her a new Cadillac SRX in red metallic

LJspydee
05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
A demo ryde was convincing enough for us to get an RT. We were half way thru a 10 mile demo and was TOLD we should buy YT! And we dyd!

Illinois Boy
05-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Tell her you want to spend money on something (anything... make it up) that cost 3-times what a new Spyder will cost. And make sure it is something she absolutely would not agree to.

Then... when you downsize your idea to a Spyder... the bite might not seem too bad in comparison and she'll agree to it -- just to get you to forget whatever it was you said you wanted before.:D

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 05:05 PM
If only you could hear it in my voice, lol. Man, I'm a pro at this....been sweettalking my wife for years...:2thumbs:

You are a GOD! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif :bowdown:

LadyDi'sSpyder
05-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Just tell her the old one is broke. It will cost to much to replace the kanuton valve and wabbolator shaft :hun:. And that it also keep leaking blinker fluid :yikes:.

Worked for me :clap:.

Your wife bought that? Wish my husband was that gullible :hun:

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm sure that you can convince him of pretty near anything that you really need to... ;)

Bob Ledford
05-07-2013, 05:25 PM
:roflblack::roflblack:, the fact that your wife still as you believing that you're still in charge is a testament that you're not. Only once you realize that you're not in charge can you only start to control the out of charge situation.

Harry

Harry

I hope you realize that by making that statement that you just set your self up for a whole bunch of good natured ribbing! At our house we both think we are in charge. But we have a different set of rules. She has her money and I have mine. She buys what she wants and she pays for it. Likewise I do the same. It has worked well for us. The big household items we confer on before pooling assets to buy. I think if more people did it this way there would be a whole lot more happy marriages in this world.

You can be in charge if you want I don't want to be....

Lady D
05-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Safety, safety, saftey so you can be around to spend precious time with her on and off the :spyder2:. Get a catalog and just ask for her thoughts on colors, and point out that the RT has sooooo much more on it and what does SHE think about it. Let her know you value her thoughts...nice dinner.....then get flowers from Wally World for her for no reason and just smile.....let her know you are interested and how about just looking at some...note just looking then have her sit on one and hopefully there is a rebate sign up so... SALE$$$$ save money....say WOW look at that and trade in.... just a ladies thoughts. Also what a great Fathers day gift it would be, and you would skip getting a birthday and Christmas gift as well.....

Daisyjoe
05-07-2013, 05:41 PM

:clap: Oh, you are really good :bowdown: I read this and I wanted to run out and buy an RT.

JCSMOKE
05-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Harry

I hope you realize that by making that statement that you just set your self up for a whole bunch of good natured ribbing! At our house we both think we are in charge. But we have a different set of rules. She has her money and I have mine. She buys what she wants and she pays for it. Likewise I do the same. It has worked well for us. The big household items we confer on before pooling assets to buy. I think if more people did it this way there would be a whole lot more happy marriages in this world.

:agree: Works for me

harrypottar
05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Harry

We have similar arrangement, I have my money to spend on what I want, she has her money and my money to spend on what's she wants. The big household items we confer and I buy what's she decides... Not much difference.

But to make it very clear, I wear the pants in our house, I just have to ask her where they are.

harry

lmstex
05-07-2013, 07:04 PM
You can double your pleasure with two up..

Kratos
05-07-2013, 07:17 PM
:clap: Oh, you are really good :bowdown: I read this and I wanted to run out and buy an RT.

:b2b:

bamaspyder1
05-07-2013, 07:18 PM
oh don't know about that, I still haven't told my wife what I've been up to :yikes: 2013 ST-S coming in 5 weeks....

bamaspyder1
05-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Just bite the bullet, stomp you feet and wail loudly screaming I will commit suicide if I can not have a new Spyder RTL. If she hands you a loaded gun go to the next step. Tell her it will mess up the living room rug. If that does not change her mind. Well we tried!

you could buy her a new Cadillac SRX in red metallic
Hey my Ultra Classic cost me a Caddy CTS :roflblack:

rabtech
05-07-2013, 07:40 PM

I live by this. And its worked for 20 years with my wonderful wife.:)

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!

GadgetGuy442
05-07-2013, 08:48 PM

I sorta went along this line of thought when I surprised Sandy for Mother's Day in 2010..... With the comm system, we spend lots of quality time pondering life's mysteries and enjoying our time together... I'm a very lucky guy to have her in my life, and she reminds me of that frequently!!

Bill

Kratos
05-07-2013, 09:29 PM
I sorta went along this line of thought when I surprised Sandy for Mother's Day in 2010..... With the comm system, we spend lots of quality time pondering life's mysteries and enjoying our time together... I'm a very lucky guy to have her in my life, and she reminds me of that frequently!!

Bill

It works! :thumbup:

Holly
05-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Seems we both need some help convincing ! I need help convincing Arntufun that our 08' SM5 is NOT an RT Limited !!!:helpsmilie:

mclaw44
05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Here’s an update folks. After she read this post and laughed the entire time. She said HMMM not sure if I should hit you or laugh harder (she did both ) :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.

Then she said "you do what you want t, you work hard for your money and if that’s what you want to do then go but do they make a Spyder for entire family (5)" I'm not sure if that is a guilt trip play but.......... later I over hear her talking to swimming pool company on getting a quote for an in ground swimming pool. So it sounds like I just may get an RTL but it going to cost me a pool. I'm thinking it is worth it...... after all she works hard too everyone WINS. She also added that she thinks a Spyder for 5 would look like a banana. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:Ha ha yes my current RT is yellow

Bob Ledford
05-08-2013, 12:11 PM
We have similar arrangement, I have my money to spend on what I want, she has her money and my money to spend on what's she wants. The big household items we confer and I buy what's she decides... Not much difference.

But to make it very clear, I wear the pants in our house, I just have to ask her where they are.

harry
Now I can believe that:agree: an hope you don't get starched drawers next laundry day

Bob Denman
05-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Seems we both need some help convincing ! I need help convincing Arntufun that our 08' SM5 is NOT an RT Limited !!!:helpsmilie:
Threaten to buy your own; and have the bill sent to him! :shocked: :roflblack:

(Glad to see that you've stopped by again! :thumbup:)

Littlebadwolf
05-08-2013, 01:36 PM
I took the easy way out...we bought one for Cindi...A happy 2 Spyder family...:)

Bob Denman
05-08-2013, 01:45 PM
:2thumbs:
...And TWICE the farkling possibilities! :yes::ohyea::yes:

arntufun
05-08-2013, 04:13 PM

It's easy to see that this post proves who is in charge of your house. :congrats: arntufun....... :roflblack:
:roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Don't worry Randy; She'll just use the proceeds from your Life Insurance to get her Limited... :yikes: :joke: