PDA

View Full Version : New ST Limited Stalling

Rock'nSTLtd
05-06-2013, 07:56 PM
I have had my ST Limited for 11 days and it has stalled 3 times while sitting in 1st gear. :yikes: It has started back up with no issue, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had an issue and if I should be concerned. Unfortunately my dealer can't get me in for three weeks, :banghead: so the first service is being done by another shop so we can go to Cody for the May long weekend. Any information, advise etc. is much appreciated. :cheers: Thanks Lori

Sny
05-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Mine stalled a dozen times in the first hundred miles as well. It's not unusual while it's learning and breaking in.

I would expect it to clear up by the time your first service is due tho. Mention it during your service and they should be able to find something. I doubt it's anything major.

flamingobabe
05-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Mine has never stalled....I put 700 miles on it the 1st 2 days and had my 600 mile service then road it home 750 miles...now have 3500 and it has never stalled...is it SE or MS

Lamonster
05-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Mine has stalled several times too and I asked the tech about it and he said that the new motors were "tight" and it should get better as you put more miles on it. I must say mine seems to be cured at 3000 miles. :dontknow:

MMMII
05-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Mine did it 3 times in the first 100 miles. I'm 2,700 or so miles in and it's never done it again.
<knock wood>

daveinva
05-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Mine has stalled several times too and I asked the tech about it and he said that the new motors were "tight" and it should get better as you put more miles on it. I must say mine seems to be cured at 3000 miles. :dontknow:

Is that advice limited to the ST?

I ask because my *2010 RS* did the same thing the first few months I had it, stalled twice inexplicably. Hasn't happened in 10,000 miles since.

Rock'nSTLtd
05-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Mine has never stalled....I put 700 miles on it the 1st 2 days and had my 600 mile service then road it home 750 miles...now have 3500 and it has never stalled...is it SE or MS

Hi, It is an SE. It sounds like you may have gotten lucky:D

krazykat
05-07-2013, 04:52 PM
New 2013 RT LTD stalled 3 times during first 500 miles and hasn't stalled again in the following 1500 miles.....getting better all the time (except gas mileage)........;)

Rock'nSTLtd
05-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. Glad to hear that it should go away because otherwise it seems to be running fine so I will keep an eye on it and mention it to the tech when I take it in. :dg2:

Chupaca
05-07-2013, 05:01 PM
folks got you covered. Just a few hicups that will go away with time...enjoy..!! :2thumbs:

spyder-dude
05-07-2013, 07:02 PM
My 2013 STS also did it a few times before I had 1000 miles on it. Now that I have 3500 miles on it seems to be fine now :)

Dragonfly
05-10-2013, 09:39 PM
And here I thought I was the only one with that problem. My RT Limited has just over 500 miles on it and stalled halve a dozen times, nearly got run over yesterday. Checked with my dealer and they hooked it up to the computer but no issues found even though it stalled on him also. In the interem keeping the RPM at approx 1800 - 2000 when stopped at a light. UPDATE Now have 832 miles and for the last 150 miles have not had anymore problems.

mjw930
05-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Whether its normal is debatable. Ours was throwing codes and BRP had the dealer do a complete system reload, much more than a simple push over the diag connector and it seemed to clear most of it up.

An engine doesn't stall because its tight, that's complete and utter BS. It stalls because the throttle body or IAC isn't responding correctly, there's a leak in the intake or the computer isn't commanding the injectors or IAC correctly. It's a flaw, period! Why it clears up over time is a mystery.

Our dealer claims this started happening a lot in 2012 when they changed the lining in the fuel tank and said most of the stalling issues go away over time. I have a hard time buying this and think it's a combination of factors but I don't have the tools needed to correctly diagnose the system so I'm left with the sometimes silly reasons coming from dealers and BRP. I have noticed its worse when there is less than 1/4 tank of gas so I think it's a fuel pressure issue, possibly due to a vacuum or fuel pickup issue. Again, why it gets better over time makes no sense.

Hovdestar
05-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Well, I really appreciate this thread, as my 2012 RT-S has stalled three times now (at 40 mph, then at a stop light, and the last time while at the gas pumps on the way to the dealer, 120 miles away), and it acted like it was going to stall while getting onto I-84, but it pulled out of the stall. It's good to know as much as I can about the Spyder, so these posts have been great information for me to have. Although I DID sort of start thinking about that Honda F6B.............<M>

Zenagirl
05-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Mine has never stalled, but it only has a little over 600 miles on it. I'm just hoping if it hasn't yet, that it won't.

Farmbanker
05-15-2013, 05:44 PM
My 2012 RTS SE5 stalled once shortly after a fuel fillup....may have been the fuel, 1,000 miles later it hasn't occurred again.

Sent from Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk

ARtraveler
05-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Interesting information. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Sny
05-17-2013, 12:13 AM
An engine doesn't stall because its tight, that's complete and utter BS. It stalls because the throttle body or IAC isn't responding correctly, there's a leak in the intake or the computer isn't commanding the injectors or IAC correctly. It's a flaw, period! Why it clears up over time is a mystery.
While the throttle plate not responding correctly or various other problems could cause stalling, most of the time stalling when stopped/idle are fueling issues.

Your ECU learns how much fuel is needed at a given mass of air in order to run at the designed Air/Fuel ratio. It then modifies the injector pulse width by up to + or - 10% to compensate for both mechanical differences and environmental differences.

Every motor and environment is going to be a bit different and require differing amounts of fuel to keep the engine idling smoothly. You can be quite certain that your environment is different from the one the motor was born in. And that your motor will break in differently than someone else's.

The older GS manual said it can take up to 100 miles before it has collected enough data to learn how much it needs to tweak the injector pulses to achieve it's designed A/F ratio at idle.

Until then, it very well could stall or idle rough, or let out funny colored smoke. No mystery.

All three of my Spyders have done this when new. It's annoying, but it's a lot less irritating (or to some people, infuriating) once you understand what's happening and that it's temporary.

If it bugs you, take it to a decent dealer and ask.

rabtech
05-17-2013, 05:39 AM
I can also report that my new ST-Limited has stalled 4 times in the first 65 miles. 2 times when pulling up to a stop sign and 2 times while idling in the carport. Starts right back up with no issues.

Jharpo
05-24-2013, 02:45 PM
My new ST has never stalled but it misses like crazy if you take off slowly or drive really slowly like around a busy parking lot. Dealer could find no problem. I have almost 800 miles on it now. Hope it outgrows this problem. Until then, I'll just have to ryde FAST!

BikerDoc
05-24-2013, 03:20 PM
the general theme here seem to be when you have a minor problem - ryde the bike more and more before dashing back to the dealer... it may smiply be a break in issue and the dealer can't fix that.. I have seen this problem come and go with two new STs locally...

mjw930
05-31-2013, 07:37 PM
While the throttle plate not responding correctly or various other problems could cause stalling, most of the time stalling when stopped/idle are fueling issues.

Your ECU learns how much fuel is needed at a given mass of air in order to run at the designed Air/Fuel ratio. It then modifies the injector pulse width by up to + or - 10% to compensate for both mechanical differences and environmental differences.

Every motor and environment is going to be a bit different and require differing amounts of fuel to keep the engine idling smoothly. You can be quite certain that your environment is different from the one the motor was born in. And that your motor will break in differently than someone else's.

The older GS manual said it can take up to 100 miles before it has collected enough data to learn how much it needs to tweak the injector pulses to achieve it's designed A/F ratio at idle.

Until then, it very well could stall or idle rough, or let out funny colored smoke. No mystery.

All three of my Spyders have done this when new. It's annoying, but it's a lot less irritating (or to some people, infuriating) once you understand what's happening and that it's temporary.

If it bugs you, take it to a decent dealer and ask.

Pretty much everything you've said is accurate however there is no excuse for a modern closed loop fuel injected motor to stall under normal operation. It stalls because something in the system is out of spec or the base map isn't fully developed. The fact it clears over time would seem to indicate they have overweighted the block learn tables in the idle RPM ranges but without the proper diagnostic equipment I can't help them diagnose the root cause. Another variable that has seemed to exasperate the problem is the drive by wire throttle. I can tell you from experience the addition of DBW makes for some interesting programming challenges. Interesting that the older cable based throttle bikes didn't have the issue.

FYI, I'm and engineer by trade and have a lot of experience programming automotive, marine and motorcycle EFI systems. Also, ask yourself if Harley, BMW, Ducati, Yamaha and MV Agusta's have stalling issues? They are all closed loop DBW EFI systems and none of them have stalling issues at idle or on tip in. Only BRP seems to have issues getting things dialed it. Luckily, the problem seems to clear over time which is why it's not become a major issue for them.

oh, and we love our ST-S so this is not a slam on the bike, just an observation by an educated consumer.

Sny
06-05-2013, 11:50 PM
It stalls because something in the system is out of spec or the base map isn't fully developed. The fact it clears over time would seem to indicate they have overweighted the block learn tables in the idle RPM ranges
Absolutely correct. Those first few miles things ARE out of spec. An engine goes through a lot of changes in those first couple dozen miles as things literally "break in".

Engines from Harley don't have this problem because every engine is run on a test stand under load for 25 miles before they install it in a bike. Most manufacturers also have a pre-break-in run on their engines. BRP (more specifically Rotax) does not. They have instructed dealers to, get this, RIDE THEM 25 miles before giving them to a customer.

Who's going to want a bike with 25 miles on it? So, of course, none of the dealers do this. And there's a lot of teething issues as the engines go through the worst part of their break-in period. Those first 25 miles.

I'm not saying this is normal for all engines. But it is quite normal for blueprinted racing motors, which is why when we put them together we have to run them on the dyno for an hour before they see the track. And from what I've heard from a couple dealers, it's normal for Spyders.

Jharpo
06-20-2013, 12:49 AM
My new ST has never stalled but it misses like crazy if you take off slowly or drive really slowly like around a busy parking lot. Dealer could find no problem. I have almost 800 miles on it now. Hope it outgrows this problem. Until then, I'll just have to ryde FAST!

Mine did stall once while leaving a fuel stop but it runs really rough at very slow speeds, both forward and reverse. It feels like its going to stall any second when backing out of the garage. Dealer said there were no problems at 600 mile check up. I have 1200 miles now and it's still doing it.

Sny
06-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Mine did stall once while leaving a fuel stop but it runs really rough at very slow speeds, both forward and reverse. It feels like its going to stall any second when backing out of the garage. Dealer said there were no problems at 600 mile check up. I have 1200 miles now and it's still doing it.
I'm guessing you have an SE5?

It's pretty normal for odd hesitations, shuddering and lurching at very low speeds during the first 2-3k miles. The transmissions take a while to smooth out and some never do.

Again, I wish it weren't so... but it is normal and common for these machines. Doesn't hurt anything unless it's extreme.

SpyderMouse22
06-20-2013, 12:09 PM
I find these posts interesting. Last year I bought a 2012 RSS new. I had no starting or stalling issues ever. 2020 miles i put on that bike. This year I bought an ST Limited. No stalling issues and i have 697 miles on it. However if the bike is cold it will stall sometimes on the start. It never happens after the bike is warm. So in my opinion I think some of this computer has to learn and stuff may not be as big of issue but more so it the type of fuel you use. The owners manuel will tell you that you can run 89 oct. in the Spyder. I was told to run 91 and i do. I think the type of fuel you run is a factor. I just thought i would throw this out there.

mcaccamise
06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
This appears to be more of a problem with the SE5 rather than the SM5 mine a 2012 RSS SM5 has never stalled and having the cable throttle helps.
TBW seems to be an issue also especially on the 2013 modles as ive heard of them being verry touchy i hope these new spyders make their new owners verry happy so they will love to ryde.
Mike

Jharpo
06-20-2013, 02:49 PM
I find these posts interesting. Last year I bought a 2012 RSS new. I had no starting or stalling issues ever. 2020 miles i put on that bike. This year I bought an ST Limited. No stalling issues and i have 697 miles on it. However if the bike is cold it will stall sometimes on the start. It never happens after the bike is warm. So in my opinion I think some of this computer has to learn and stuff may not be as big of issue but more so it the type of fuel you use. The owners manuel will tell you that you can run 89 oct. in the Spyder. I was told to run 91 and i do. I think the type of fuel you run is a factor. I just thought i would throw this out there.

Fuel grade isn't the problem. My ST Limited has never had anything but Premium Grade of major brand (Mobil, Shell, Exxon) which in Florida is 92 octane. Wish it was that simple.

SpyderMouse22
06-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Fuel grade isn't the problem. My ST Limited has never had anything but Premium Grade of major brand (Mobil, Shell, Exxon) which in Florida is 92 octane. Wish it was that simple.

Well i guess i got lucky with my 2 Spyders then or my computer learened what it needed to know real fast. I think any machine stalling out in first gear is a real problem and I hope to read more on this issue. Just because i dont have it now doesnt mean I wont have it tomorrow. I use Sunoco 91

AutumnCat
06-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Interesting I came across this thread tonight.

I finally had a chance to take out my new ST-L for a short ride. I brought it home from the dealer over a week ago - parked it in the garage due to weather and other issues.

Today - I neared the end of our street and slowed down a bit before stopping. I think I was in 2nd gear when I noticed it had "died. Stalled!
I was hesitant to take it on my errand - but, it started back up fine. So, off I went.

I'm hoping it is not an issue and is only because it's new and had been sitting. No idea what type gas the dealer put in - haven't run that out yet.

Never had this happen on my '09 SE5.

54spyder
06-21-2013, 10:21 AM
We took delivery of our 2013 Spyder ST last week and have had multiple stalls at stop signs in our neighborhood and in our driveway. I am glad that we were in a controlled environment and not out in town or else I might have panicked. We have over 100 miles on the Spyder and we have not had a stall for some time. Glad I found this forum & thread as I feel much better now if it happens again.

Spyder Tony
07-18-2013, 10:38 PM

I had the EXACT same problem. During the 600mile service i asked the tech to check into it and i was told there was air in the system. they bled the system and no more missing at low idle. A poster mentioned on the post i did on this problem that it is a known issue and a bulletin had been issued. I cannot recall who posted the info, but perhaps another member does.

rabtech
07-19-2013, 09:56 AM
:confused: how could you have air in fuel system? Maybe in brake line but not in constant flowing fuel system. Or am I missing something that is on a spyder that I have never heard of before.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!

Mets79ST2013
07-19-2013, 10:16 AM
I have had my ST Limited for 11 days and it has stalled 3 times while sitting in 1st gear. :yikes: It has started back up with no issue, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had an issue and if I should be concerned. Unfortunately my dealer can't get me in for three weeks, :banghead: so the first service is being done by another shop so we can go to Cody for the May long weekend. Any information, advise etc. is much appreciated. :cheers: Thanks Lori

I have my ST for two month now it did the same the first 200 miles, now at 3255 miles is doing great and is not stalling anymore, but if I leave it outside the garage when is hot oh boy the CHECK ENGINE goes off immediately, but hang in there the stalling will go away.

Magdave
07-19-2013, 10:19 AM

+1

retired1
07-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Just a thought! With all of the heat problems on the '13s, could there possibly be a "vapor lock" problem? Back in the day, I don't remember what vehicle it was, we clipped a wooden clothes pin on the gas line between the fuel pump and carburetor. That solved the "vapor lock" problem. It may sound like "Voodoo" or an "old wifes tale", but it worked!:thumbup:

rabtech
07-19-2013, 10:59 AM
mine would stall in a air conditioned garage when it was new. i could back it out and start it and it would die while idling . it hasn't died since it turned a few hundred miles...:clap:

Spyder Tony
07-22-2013, 12:33 PM
:confused: how could you have air in fuel system? Maybe in brake line but not in constant flowing fuel system. Or am I missing something that is on a spyder that I have never heard of before.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!

You will have to pose that question to the mechanics at Elk Grove Powersports. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the statement, but I can definitely attest to the outcome. The mechanic did not specify the "fuel system" but rather said "the system". Once I had test driven the bike and was more than pleased, I did not question further as I had the results I sought.

Unfortunately, I am still in the formative stages of my Can Am mechanical knowledge as my bike (first one owned) is brand new & under warranty, thus I have not had occasion to crack open the tupperware myself to do any maintenance/modding. At this point, the only one to have seen under my Nikki's "skirt" is Forrest at Elk Grove Autosports. I am sure this will change as time goes on :ohyea:

JacqueTanis
07-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Mine stalled once but then I realized I hit the Kill Switch - :opps: Duh!

Flamewinger
09-24-2013, 10:08 AM
My new ST L stalled quite often, almost every time I went somewhere it cut out and I had to quickly start it up again. When I took it into the dealer for the 600 mile service I told him about it and they must've done something because it's no longer stalling. So if you have any questions call Elk Grove Powersports in Elk Grove California.

Benggolf
10-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Took delivery of our 2013 STS yesterday and on the way home (50+ kms from dealership), the engine stumbled a couple of times as I was slowing down.

It didn't stall as I was able to blip the throttle a bit in time to prevent it from stalling out. Hope this will correct itself as the bike learns as we go along. Other than that the bike worked perfectly. :clap:

Even during the rush hour traffic, the engine temp never overheated (max indication was 3/5 mark) and no excessive heat on the sides of the bike.

Also the dealer was able to complete the recall just prior to delivery. Had to wait for it for a couple more hours, but it was certainly worth the wait to insure no "meltdowns". :thumbup:

Tony99
10-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Mine has stalled from day one and it now has 11,000 miles. It stalls on days when i have ridden a few miles and the temp. gauge is over half way. It finally did it with the dealer when i took it in for a oil change. They didn't have a clue. I have learned when at stop lights to just keep the rpm's up to 1400 and it will not stall. I believe it is a problem with the fuel mixture at higher temp. and the computer is giving the wrong signal

SpyderAnn01
10-04-2013, 03:02 PM
It seems that some of the 2013 ST and RT have had stalling problems that could be associated with a break in period. But for some the problems is much larger than break in. Mine for one had a bad purge valve and it wouldn't idle properly and would stall.

Magdave
10-04-2013, 03:14 PM
New 2013 RT LTD stalled 3 times during first 500 miles and hasn't stalled again in the following 1500 miles.....getting better all the time (except gas mileage)........;)

:agree: on the gas mileage too 25 is the best I get and most of the roads around here are 45mph or better.:dontknow:

dancote
10-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Here's one more data point.

2013 RT SE5 which just turned over 300 miles this morning. I use premium fuel exclusively and always fill up at our local Costco.

The bike has stalled 5 times now. 4 times when starting out cold and still in first gear. Today it stalled in Reverse with a fully warm engine.

I've had several motorcycles with fuel injection and none of them ever stalled.

Regards,

Dan

flamingobabe
10-04-2013, 07:42 PM

notice in early May with 3500 miles I was not having problems.....and then I took off by myself to go to Owners Event then north to Pete powersports wrap and home about 3700 miles.....this is when all the problems started...but to keep with original post...my bike has never stalled until 10,000 miles....it's not that it stalls but rather after riding a couple hundred miles the rpms will race from 1000 to 2000...it feels like it's going to stall or surge forward....took a video of the dash and plan to send it to BRP

Osros
10-12-2013, 10:39 PM
I have 10500 on my STS, I stalled more often when the bike was newer in the 4000 mile range and more often when I would start and go on my way without a warm up.

I started to let the engine and temp get up some before I go now and have not had a stall in a long time. It is hard to nail down the cause.

I did notice when very low on fuel idle rpms would dip below 1200 at times and feel like it wants to stall, fill up on gas and the rpms returns to 1300-1400 and all seems well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Questions
10-13-2013, 04:37 AM
My New 2013 LTD stalls at least once a day but it was stalling at least twice a day before so I guess it's getting better :) It's just the new wearing off is what I'm told, they say it gets better with age just like me !

rabtech
10-13-2013, 07:23 AM
I live at 1100 feet above sea level. I noticed mine stalling only ocasionally when it was warming up. Nothing i couldnt live with. I carried mine to panama city beach and it died a lot when ideling around. Probably somewhere around 10 times a day. I am back home now and I just rode it all day yesterday (around 300 miles) and it never stalled. Kinda sounds like its not making the correct air/fuel adjustments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

randyandsandy74
10-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Our 2012 rt limited se5 was stalling at stop lights and signs because somehow the front spark plug came lose, so I purchashed a set of plugs and plug wires from BahaRon and the problem cleared right up. Ron was very very helpful with our problem.

randyandsandy74
10-31-2014, 06:35 PM
Our 2012 rt limited se5 was stalling at stop lights and signs because somehow the front spark plug came lose, so I purchashed a set of plugs and plug wires from BahaRon and the problem cleared right up. Ron was very very helpful with our problem. We also have over 20000 miles on her.

KTLaw
12-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Got my spyder a few months ago and I had the same issue which the dealer never found any reason. In fact, it stalled on the way home from the dealer I finally noticed that it happens as I slow down while approaching a stop light. I noticed if I don't keep my foot on the break, but, instead lightly tap the breaks as I approach the light, it does not stall. Thankfully, I learned this trick from this site.

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 08:13 AM
The 998 bikes have shown this trait... :shocked:
After a couple of hundred miles or so; they seem to "clear their throats", and stop doing it. :thumbup:

pol4950
12-22-2014, 05:40 PM
I got my st-s in Michighan "never stalled" but after coming to Fla. Stalls all the time! after getting in stop and go traffic. It has about 6000 miles on it. I have been to 2 dealers,> got no answers.As I have read in this thread .> I keep throttle up to keep from stalling, hoping if changing to a differnt spark plug will help? I always run best fuel and never let it get low. So if anyone has switched plugs? let me know > what kind? and if you also did the cables?

I also have an 2011 RT and has never stalled

thank you

BJ

DrewNJ
12-22-2014, 08:26 PM

cmungen
03-12-2015, 06:36 PM
my 2013 stl now has 2500 mi, in first 350miles it stalled 3 times and then cured itself!

keep the faith

CUSTOM STS
04-03-2015, 06:43 AM
I have an STS and it stalled several times until I put a custom muffler on it. The engines were built tight and with the cat and stock muffler on, its just too much pressure held at low rpm causing the engine to shut off. Havent shut off since.

Magdave
04-03-2015, 08:40 AM
I have an STS and it stalled several times until I put a custom muffler on it. The engines were built tight and with the cat and stock muffler on, its just too much pressure held at low rpm causing the engine to shut off. Havent shut off since.

Sorry not true these engines(998) are some of the loosest on the market from the factory. They do go through a break in period during the first 500 mi. that may result in it stalling a few times. No one has been able to truly determine why but it happens. Mine did several times and after that it has never done it again. Mine is a SE5 not sure if that has something to do with it either. As I said it has been random.

Brightness
04-16-2015, 05:48 PM
I'm guessing you have an SE5?

It's pretty normal for odd hesitations, shuddering and lurching at very low speeds during the first 2-3k miles. The transmissions take a while to smooth out and some never do.

Again, I wish it weren't so... but it is normal and common for these machines. Doesn't hurt anything unless it's extreme.

I have a 2013 ST. It will stall when hot if the revs get too low. If I keep it running at above 1300 RPM it seems to be OK.

sarecco
07-06-2016, 05:26 PM
I have a 2014 sts I bought used with 650 miles. It now has 750 Mikes and has stalled 5 times. 30 seconds after stopping sometimes it stalls bit will start back up. Quite dangerous!! Hope it works itself out.

ingramwc
07-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Is it possible that the idle speed is set too low??? My Spyder ('13 STS SE5) has never stalled, mine idles at 1300 RPM. I hope you all resolve the problem!:thumbup:

GearHd
07-07-2016, 03:39 PM
I have a 2014 sts I bought used with 650 miles. It now has 750 Mikes and has stalled 5 times. 30 seconds after stopping sometimes it stalls bit will start back up. Quite dangerous!! Hope it works itself out.
Ours did that when it was brand new. It was a one year left over so it sat around a while. The dealer replaced the battery and its been fine ever since.

MercerLake
07-20-2016, 06:42 PM

I bought a 2015 ST last week and the dealer handed me a copy of a notice from BRP that stalling at idle and stopped may occur during the break-in period. Should restart?:yikes: Well being fore warned I got a mile from the dealer at a stop light, yep it coughed and died. Hit the starter and it restarted just fine!:yes::yes: I thank the dealer for sharing what info they had and being warned i stayed in the right lane while getting out of town. Hasn't stalled again, great machine rides very smooth compared to my old 2008 GS. Happy Rider!:yes::yes:

MercerLake
08-08-2016, 01:55 PM

Mine stalled once in the first 1.5 miles city stop and go traffic. Dealer had cautioned me that it might stall at idle and stopped during break-in. It did just the one time and a couple of other instances it felt like it was going to stall at Stop light, so slipped into Neutral and feathered the throttle a little for a few seconds. Fore warned is fore armed thanks to a sharing dealer, he showed me a TSB or notice from BRP and I was grateful for that. The fuel mapping is pretty lean so with a tight engine occasional stalling is to be expected. just ride it and it will cure itself!:D

Gilda
08-21-2016, 06:48 PM
I have a 2015 ST L SE5. Always use premium fuel.
It has 2500 kms on it. Stalled the first time today in first gear.
(I filled up before going home and had 30 kms on that tank)
Thought I pushed the kill switch as it just died. No.
Pulled over, couldn't get it out of 1st gear.
I had power as the screen was showing and radio worked.
Just wouldn't start. I rocked it trying to get it to go into gear. Didn't work.
After 5 - 10 minutes I managed to get it into N and start it.
Drove a few blocks. Shut off. Started again and went home a block.
This is the first time it died like that. Now I'm afraid it will do it on the highway.
Temp today was about 26 C. So not overly hot.

AZ Y Factor
08-22-2016, 07:37 AM
I have a 2015 ST L SE5. Always use premium fuel.
It has 2500 kms on it. Stalled the first time today in first gear.
(I filled up before going home and had 30 kms on that tank)
Thought I pushed the kill switch as it just died. No.
Pulled over, couldn't get it out of 1st gear.
I had power as the screen was showing and radio worked.
Just wouldn't start. I rocked it trying to get it to go into gear. Didn't work.
After 5 - 10 minutes I managed to get it into N and start it.
Drove a few blocks. Shut off. Started again and went home a block.
This is the first time it died like that. Now I'm afraid it will do it on the highway.
Temp today was about 26 C. So not overly hot.

You can start it in 1st gear if your foot is on the brake. Check your battery connections. They will work loose if a star washer isn't on them. When all else fails pull the key out and wait 10 - 15 minutes.