PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery?!

KyleKruko44
05-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2011 RSS. After trying to start my Spyder for the first time this season I had to jump it the first couple of times. I went to start it to move it out of the way after mowing my lawn and I turned the key and had zero lights whatsoever and it wouldnt even jump. Should I just have to charge my battery and be good to go or does this sound like something else? I thought I also read to charge it at the post and not at the studs under the seat. Is this true? thanks for the help

KyleKruko44
05-06-2013, 08:09 PM
The only thing not stock is a my two bros pipes with juice box.

SPYD1
05-06-2013, 08:28 PM
I charge thru the battery. A battery will last 2-3 years. I recommend a battery tender or equivalent to improve the life of your battery.

NancysToy
05-06-2013, 09:25 PM
You can charge it under the seat (with alligator clips). Just don't hook up accessories oor a charging pigtail there. Those should be attached at the battery.

arntufun
05-07-2013, 09:50 AM
I charge thru the battery. A battery will last 2-3 years. I recommend a battery tender or equivalent to improve the life of your battery.

Tell this to my original battery made in 2007 (6 years old) and it's still going strong today......... Just started using a battery tender in Dec of 2011. This OEM battery is the best motorcycle battery I have ever owned. nojoke

SPYD1
05-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Tell this to my original battery made in 2007 (6 years old) and it's still going strong today......... Just started using a battery tender in Dec of 2011. This OEM battery is the best motorcycle battery I have ever owned. nojoke

It's because your bike is yellow...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

carm044
05-07-2013, 10:38 AM
I use a battery tender when the :spyder2: is sitting or is not going to rode for a couple of weeks. I have a 2012 RS no battery issues thus far.

Chupaca
05-07-2013, 10:40 AM
that you can no longer jump start it. I would take the batter out charge it and load test it if you can or take it to a car/bike shop and test it. If bad replace it. Still wonder why power will not get to the system through the jumper, unless jumper is dead too..!! :dontknow:

KyleKruko44
05-07-2013, 11:36 AM
When I hooked the jumpers up I had power. It just wasn't enough to turn it over.

jerpinoy
05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Just get a new battery and its less painful than dealing it all the time. good luck.:yes::yes:make sure you clean the battery post and properly tighten.

Spyder Monkey
05-07-2013, 01:34 PM
A really bad battery can be a load on the electrical system instead of a source of energy. It may simply be the jumping source does not have enough juice to overcome the load of the battery and turn the starter.

David

coz
05-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Tell this to my original battery made in 2007 (6 years old) and it's still going strong today......... Just started using a battery tender in Dec of 2011. This OEM battery is the best motorcycle battery I have ever owned. nojoke Good Luck Randy! do you have towing?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack ::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rofl black::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::joke:

DrewNJ
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
We do every 2-3 years on a battery as well, and use a tender on it in the off season.
Not saying the battery can't last longer, just the downside to a dead battery offsets the cost of the battery quite a bit. Dead batteries suck! :yikes:

IMHO-Pick up a new battery and a tender. Install the tender dongle to the battery during installation.

KyleKruko44
05-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys. how much will the new battery cost me and any suggestions of what to buy?

boborgera
05-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info guys. how much will the new battery cost me and any suggestions of what to buy?

Whichever battery you decide to get, Make sure you Fully charge it before you install it, No matter what the battery sales person says...

DrewNJ
05-07-2013, 06:05 PM
And no lead acid batteries since the battery lays on it's side. I'm a fan of AGM batteries and have always had good luck with Deka. The stocker should be a Yuasa which is also a good battery.
Costs are going to be in that $100-$150 range and it's pretty straight forward to install.