PDA

View Full Version : New Spyder Owner - Glenwood Springs, CO

DinoJoy
05-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi all, just purchased a 2011 RT-S SM5 last week and am absolutely in love with the ride. The bike hit 6,000 miles when I picked it up from the original owner, he pretty much used it on one trip and a few local rides and his wife didn't feel comfortable on it, so his loss is my gain! I put the BEST warranty on it for an additional 3 years since the factory only has two months left, figured better safe than sorry with all the technology on there. I live out in the mountains in Colorado so I figured for the safety of riding through the mountians with the weird weather this is the way to go. Looks like all the mountain riders on here are getting this new sway bar out, so I need to look into that add-on.

Any recommendations as far as settings on shocks or air bag? I am only 5'6" at 160 and my wife at 5'6" and 110.

I got lucky and ran into a new Spyder owner in my city the week I picked it up, which is great since I live in a small city of about 9,000 people and figured I would be the only one around.

See ya'll on the open road!

Dino

jerpinoy
05-06-2013, 05:11 PM
:welcome::welcome: and:congrats: Get the feel and ride more then you'll figure out if you need anything for your:spyder2:.

Bob Denman
05-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Hi Dino!
Welcome to our clubhouse; the party never ends! :yes::ohyea::yes::ohyea::yes:
Here's to lots of miles and smiles for you guys! :cheers: :welcome:

asp125
05-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Welcome. The Colorado riders have a meetup group. http://www.meetup.com/Colorado-Spyder-Ryders/

SPYD1
05-06-2013, 05:39 PM
:welcome::congrats:

stallion143
05-06-2013, 08:23 PM
:congrats: Welcome to the wonderful world of three-wheelin'! :yes:

I've put over 1,100 mile on mine in 4 weeks...LOVE the rYde!

BTW...Nice color!

cyclelover63
05-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Welcome :ohyea:and don't be afraid to do mods!!!!!

ARtraveler
05-06-2013, 09:49 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde. :thumbup:

A1A
05-06-2013, 10:42 PM
:welcome::congrats:

SpyderAnn01
05-06-2013, 11:48 PM
:welcome: enjoy your new ride.

Chupaca
05-07-2013, 12:00 AM
:congrats: on the new ryde..welcome to the wonderful world of roadsters (reverse trikes)(spyders) fun machines. Enjoy the ryde and then decide what to change if anything..!! :thumbup:

GloryRyders
05-07-2013, 05:47 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new :spyder:........Ryde Safe!

Cuban Spyder
05-07-2013, 06:38 AM
:welcome::congrats:on the new ryde!

DinoJoy
05-07-2013, 10:08 AM
I was up in AK for almost 9 years and my wife won't live that far from family anymore.. I sure do miss riding those highways, I had my FatBoy then though. The Spyder would be a much better ryde for up that way, hold more cold weather gear!

:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde. :thumbup:

cgistudio
05-07-2013, 10:19 AM
:2thumbs::congrats::welcome:

DinoJoy
05-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Just ordered the Anti Sway through BajaRon, can't wait to try them out. Seems everyone loves them that has them on.

DinoJoy
05-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Joined the group, thanks! Hope to meet some other CO ryders around.

Welcome. The Colorado riders have a meetup group. http://www.meetup.com/Colorado-Spyder-Ryders/

PrairieSpyder
05-07-2013, 11:14 AM
:welcome:

CyncySpyder
05-07-2013, 11:22 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64719&d=1363621102 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2698&attachmentid=64718)
You'll love the BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar, it makes a HUGE Improvement over the OEM one. As far as your questions, the factory setting for the shocks come at 3 and there's a range from 1 - 5. With your weight, it would seem the mid setting should be fine, tho don't be afraid to change settings to find what works best for you. Also, the original owner may have changed it from the factory setting to better suit them. Just make sure to raise the front suspension off the ground to relieve any pressure before trying to change the setting, or you'll be likely to break the adjustment ring :rolleyes:

Also highly recommend looking into the Utopia BackRest or similar, as they provide much support on longer rydes and you'll likely find as many, worth every penny :thumbup:

I noticed in the pic you posted, I believe the original owner put on a set of the KewlMetal Fin Guards that are used as highway pegs. We have them as well, and they work just fine, but one word of caution. The plastic fins they are mounted to have no lower support at all, and are only head on by two bolts thru a thin plastic tab on top of the fins structure. Hopefully they have the reinforcement bar installed as well (its just a small aluminum brace) but it does add more stability to the structure. Just be mindfull, they are to be used for LIGHT DUTY USE ONLY ;) If you were to try to put much more than the weight of your limp leg and boot on it, it could easily break off. I actually hit a pot-hole with my left front tire while ryding in the rain one day, and it was so deep, that the tire went low enough into it that it literally sheared the entire fin right off at the plastic tab mount. Glad I didn't have my boot up there or I could have lost control. I'm not trying to scare you or say they are a bad product, used as designed, they work great ;) Just don't push against them or try standing on them or your be buying a new fin, which in all honesty isn't as expensive as I would have thought.

Also, here's a GREAT Thread I highly recommend New Owners read over, as it has alot of really good and useful information. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

:yes:Welcome to the party & most of all - ENJOY the RYDE :yes:

oldblindjohn
05-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Joined the group, thanks! Hope to meet some other CO ryders around.

Welcome. Oldblindjohn and Capt. Margaret live in Glenwood Springs also. We have a blue RT.

Deanna777
05-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Welcome to the website. :welcome::congrats:Deanna777:ohyea:

DinoJoy
05-11-2013, 10:32 AM
I have not seen you around, but I have met Joe on his Orange RS, great guy. Hope to catch up with y'all on the road!

Welcome. Oldblindjohn and Capt. Margaret live in Glenwood Springs also. We have a blue RT.