PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RT/SE Vibration

Doc45
05-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Ok, here's the story. Coming home this afternoon started getting a vibration. Riding two up, windshield all the way up, tire pressure was checked before we left 18 psi front, 19psi rear. At about 73 mph started getting a high frequency vibration. Could feel it through the seat and floor boards. I could ride out of it by running up past 75 mph. It happened several times so I would either slow down or speed up and the vibration would quit.
I just passed 600 miles so I'm calling first thing in the morning for my first service and will bring this up with the dealer and see what he has to say. From what I have read here, sounds like the belt need an adjustment. At least that is what it felt like out on the highway. Made my butt buzz. I'll let you know what happens in a few days.:spyder:

NancysToy
05-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Check to see that you didn't pick up a stone or some tar in a sprocket, or that you don't have a damage belt. Beyond that check wheels for trueness and tires for a nail or screw or stone. Belt tension shouldn't change suddenly.

DR Buck
05-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Ok, here's the story. Coming home this afternoon started getting a vibration. Riding two up, windshield all the way up, tire pressure was checked before we left 18 psi front, 19psi rear. days.:spyder:

Isn't 19 psi in the rear way to low?

Doc45
05-06-2013, 08:15 AM
You are right, 19 psi is way too low, I had stupid fingers, meant to type 29 psi. :duh:. As far as coming on suddenly, this is actually the first time I had the Spyder up to those speeds since I bought it. Most of my riding has been around and in town. Like I said, going in for 600 service real soon so we'll see what the dealer has to say.

spydernatic
05-06-2013, 03:06 PM
You are right, 19 psi is way too low, I had stupid fingers, meant to type 29 psi. :duh:. As far as coming on suddenly, this is actually the first time I had the Spyder up to those speeds since I bought it. Most of my riding has been around and in town. Like I said, going in for 600 service real soon so we'll see what the dealer has to say.

I have a 2012 RT and have the same problem on my first highway trip I was worried about the vibration and would not go into 5th gear as I felt the vibration was worse at the 70 to 75 mph took it back to the dealer and asked them to check. I have 5200 miles on my RT and I live with the problem "We all have it " talked to many riders at Spyderfest and we all agree Can -Am Spyders all vibrate between those speeds something you will learn to live with, I accelerate or slow down to get rid of my vibration and sometimes on a long uphill you just can't so its there get used to it. By the way its the belt and if you look on this site you will see many discussions about this subject and some fixes are available. Be carefull as some fixes will void your warranty if its not BRP approved.

Bob Denman
05-06-2013, 05:45 PM
:agree: Isn't that about the speeds where the belt can start to resonate if it's a bit loose? :dontknow:

ChicoFowler
05-06-2013, 07:30 PM
I had the same problem coming back from Spyder Fest. It would come and go with speeds anywhere from 65 to 78. Some times going up hill, some times on the flat. I talked to my dealer and he said it is the belt, but not to worry.....once the belt is really broken in, they can make adjustments, but for the most part, it's a fact of life. There are gadets, but no guarantees. I was impressed how the Spyder handled on the way down.... 7 1/2 hours. The last 1 1/2 hours heavy rain and 15/20 mph winds. Never slipped or skided and I had complete control while crusing at 65 mph.