PDA

View Full Version : Improving MPG

ironbuttdean
05-05-2013, 06:27 PM
2012 RT-S with 2100 miles on it since purchase six weeks ago. MPG started at 24. Todays' fill up yielded 31.4 MPG, mostly riding double at about 65-70 MPH.

Only mods have been BajaRon swaybar and a bump skid. Custom Dynamics parts arrived yesterday so the farkling can begin in earnest.

Getting happier with the mileage, not that that is enough to make me unhappy overall.

SPYD1
05-05-2013, 07:44 PM
That's pretty good.

Bob Denman
05-05-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm starting to play with the aero package a little with mine to see if I can find any improvements... :thumbup:

cjackg
05-05-2013, 08:25 PM
I am on my 2nd RT and 26-28 is the avg mpg on both. I have never seen 31 except for a short run exception...

but then, I never bought a Spyder looking for fuel mileage. When asked the question (often) about mileage. I usually tell them "when you're ryding a rocket who cares about mileage!" :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
05-05-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm at 1500 miles on my 2013 RT and today I got 30.4 :yes: which I think is pretty good for a Spyder.

Bob Denman
05-05-2013, 08:45 PM
;) It is! :thumbup: :clap:

JCSMOKE
05-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Bump skid added milage

Chupaca
05-05-2013, 09:41 PM
bumpskid helped our milage and helped keep her running cooler. Full coverage under frunk cut wind turbulence and the wings deflect air to the radiators. Great mod...thanks spyderpops..!! :2thumbs:

ironbuttdean
05-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Bump skid added milage

I think it helped, but not the full increase. Probably having a passenger reduces drag off the trunk too.

ironbuttdean
05-05-2013, 09:43 PM
bumpskid helped our milage and helped keep her running cooler. Full coverage under frunk cut wind turbulence and the wings deflect air to the radiators. Great mod...thanks spyderpops..!! :2thumbs:

I noticed cooler temps on the analog guage today also.

JCSMOKE
05-06-2013, 05:04 AM
I think it helped, but not the full increase. Probably having a passenger reduces drag off the trunk too.
Well you didn't mention 2 up riding! The other head acts like a spoiler pushing the back end down, this changes the angle of attack for the bump skid. So where earlier I said the bump skid helped, I was correct, but I acknowledge that credit also goes to noggin number 2 equally. That is my story and I will stick to its tenuous threads for as long as possible.

This is post 704 for me, a number I am fond of and would actually call my favorite.

missouriboy
05-06-2013, 06:17 AM
We ryde 2-up almost exclusively on our stock 2012 RT SE5 and have averaged 30.4 for 3900 miles. But we're happy with only 50-60 mph because of wind-lash on neck muscles at higher speeds. The constant winds down here are almost never below 15 and usually 20 or more. But the roads are all flat and straight here in the Valley.

jthornton
05-06-2013, 07:28 AM
I am on my 2nd RT and 26-28 is the avg mpg on both. I have never seen 31 except for a short run exception...

but then, I never bought a Spyder looking for fuel mileage. When asked the question (often) about mileage. I usually tell them "when you're riding a rocket who cares about mileage!" :thumbup:

I have an 1800cc 6 cylinder rocket that gets 40-45 MPG... with a running average of 41.4 MPG. It does make you wonder why a 1000cc 2 cylinder gets such poor mileage compared to other trikes which seem to be in the 35 MPG range. I guess the frontal area is more on the Spyder compared to trikes...

JT

NancysToy
05-06-2013, 07:33 AM
I have an 1800cc 6 cylinder rocket that gets 40-45 MPG... with a running average of 41.4 MPG. It does make you wonder why a 1000cc 2 cylinder gets such poor mileage compared to other trikes which seem to be in the 35 MPG range. I guess the frontal area is more on the Spyder compared to trikes...

JT
It is strictly a matter of aerodynamics. The Spyder not only has more frontal area, it is wide in the front VS the rear for other trikes, and it has exposed suspension, making it aerodynamically very "dirty". Drag is the biggest consumer of power, increasing as an exponential function of the speed. A big frontal area and poor aerodynamics will eat you alive in gas mileage. That being said, I'll take the Spyder as it is. It wouldn't be as neat if it was a skinny, enclosed teardrop shape.

jthornton
05-06-2013, 07:43 AM
It is strictly a matter of aerodynamics. The Spyder not only has more frontal area, it is wide in the front VS the rear for other trikes, and it has exposed suspension, making it aerodynamically very "dirty". Drag is the biggest consumer of power, increasing as an exponential function of the speed. A big frontal area and poor aerodynamics will eat you alive in gas mileage. That being said, I'll take the Spyder as it is. It wouldn't be as neat if it was a skinny, enclosed teardrop shape.

Yea, it would look like a backwards Harley trike then... yuck!

I did notice the wheel base of the RT is much wider than my buddy's Harley trike and now that I think of it it is a nice triangle shape body. I wonder if something could be done with the suspension to make it more aerodynamic? Also I wonder if the NACA vent you see in some windshields will help even though they only follow the cutout shape and don't have the rest of the NACA vent design.

JT

missouriboy
05-06-2013, 07:46 AM
...Drag is the biggest consumer of power, increasing as an exponential function of the speed...Yup. "As speed doubles, wind resistance quadruples." :lecturef_smilie:

bluestratos
05-06-2013, 09:48 AM
I have ranged up 32.4 as my best, that was driving nice and easy, slow starts and stops. The Spyder may have a bit more frontal area but that the gearing has to be the real issue. There are many cars on the road that get far better mileage with 4 wheels, much heavier and larger engines and while they are a bit more streamlined they are also geared for economy. We are geared for snappy acceleration and to avoid hurting the clutch due to the high stall speed. While I did not buy the Spyder just for gas milage it is very disappointing when you first drive it and learn that the salesman that said about 40mpg was slightly more than optimistic. I bought mine for touring (RT SE5) and enjoy it when it is not broken down (that is another story) but I always keep a spare gallon of gas just to be safe.

ARtraveler
05-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Most seem to be getting in that magic 30 mpg range. I have had 34 as my best to date--but all four :spyder2:'s I have owned have averaged out (after break-in and about 4000 miles or so) at right around 30-31.

Bob Denman
05-06-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm going to gather up some courage, and cut those air deflectors off of my A-arm covers. :shocked:
Oh! 32.5mpg the last fillup! :thumbup:

StanProff
05-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I am wondering about a Nascar type frontal air dam. Not at the nose but set back towards the A arms (this way if a speed bump is there it would rise with the wheels. Just a thought. My Nissan Altima has a little air dam like this set back from the front under there. By the way, it is a 2013 model and gets the advertised epa mileage of 36, 38 highway at 65 mph. I think it is amazing that a car this size can get that kind of mileage with good performace. I travel a lot for my work and the car now has over 14,000 miles on it. I save about 100.00 a month on my gas bill over my last car, it got 28-30 mph.
Anyway, does anyone think an air dam would help or hurt. I'm going to tinker with it. I like the Spyder but man, if a couple of mpg could be found with a simple add of plastic I'd jump at it.:yikes:

gnirtsnod
05-06-2013, 03:20 PM
2012 RT-S with 2100 miles on it since purchase six weeks ago. MPG started at 24. Todays' fill up yielded 31.4 MPG, mostly riding double at about 65-70 MPH.

Only mods have been BajaRon swaybar and a bump skid. Custom Dynamics parts arrived yesterday so the farkling can begin in earnest.

Getting happier with the mileage, not that that is enough to make me unhappy overall.

Happy is what riding a Spyder is all about. Breaking 30 mpg riding two-up at those speeds gives me something to look forward to. My 2012 RT-S has about 2,300 miles on it and I just broke the 28 mpg mark and looking forward to increasing that to at least 30, but the way I ride the darn thing, the outlook is bleak. I put the bump/skid plate on it yesterday. Will see what that does for the mileage.

EDIT: I forgot to ask. Does anyone want to buy a tricked-out Harley FLHTCU? Maybe I can get a second Spyder!

gnirtsnod
05-06-2013, 03:29 PM
...While I did not buy the Spyder just for gas milage it is very disappointing when you first drive it and learn that the salesman that said about 40mpg was slightly more than optimistic. I bought mine for touring (RT SE5) and enjoy it when it is not broken down (that is another story) but I always keep a spare gallon of gas just to be safe.

I often get asked, "What kind of gas mileage do you get on that 'thing'?" My answer is always something like, "Relative to the fun I'm having, I'd say it's great mileage."

Also, my Roto-Pax, one-gallon container fits nicely into my frunk. A spare gallon is a good thing when out on trips, especially when I go to Canada, again.

Bob Denman
05-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Stan, I've got to admit that I'm having trouble visualizing what sort of airdam you're talking about. :opps:
Any pics that you could show us? :dontknow:

jerpinoy
05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Please let us know if those air dam will increase our mpg, and if 2 up will do I might just strapped a dummy.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: .

Bob Denman
05-06-2013, 05:37 PM
I can't begin to tell you what would happen to me if I callled my Missus that! :yikes: :roflblack: