PDA

View Full Version : My first ride on my own Spyder... drenched by rain, but smiling...

Sopher
05-23-2008, 10:31 PM
I got out of work early and I had the option to take her for my first ride to get a inspection sticker. First ride EVER, off the MSF riding course. Mind you I'm a newbie. Got my license in October 07. Since the dealer is some 36 miles north, and a local motocycle shop is just 4 miles away I had 1 hour to get there. I took the spyder to the quiet side street next to my house and rode it up and down a few times to get my MSF riding skills back.
So I took the Spyder by the ranes and drove toward the local shop. 2 miles later, it started to rain! My first ride. My pants got soaked. I stopped under a tree until it let up. I proceeded more during the light rain.

No worries, no slipping, just FUN! :2excited:I really didn't let it bother me. :a18: Hands were wet and cold, my lap was drenched.
So what! I got to the shop, the guys their were impressed and all over it!
I left to go home; more rain. The hot engine was actually confortable with the cold rain.
I figured it was better to learn how she handles in the rain and how I respond.

Not to be corny... but on the way home when the sun came out, a large rainbow appeared. This will make for a rememberable first ride. :bigthumbsup:

Roaddog2
05-23-2008, 10:38 PM
I got out of work early and I had the option to take her for my first ride to get a inspection sticker. First ride EVER, off the MSF riding course. Mind you I'm a newbie. Got my license in October 07. Since the dealer is some 36 miles north, and a local motocycle shop is just 4 miles away I had 1 hour to get there. I took the spyder to the quiet side street next to my house and rode it up and down a few times to get my MSF riding skills back.
So I took the Spyder by the ranes and drove toward the local shop. 2 miles later, it started to rain! My first ride. My pants got soaked. I stopped under a tree until it let up. I proceeded more during the light rain.

No worries, no slipping, just FUN! :2excited:I really didn't let it bother me. :a18: Hands were wet and cold, my lap was drenched.
So what! I got to the shop, the guys their were impressed and all over it!
I left to go home; more rain. The hot engine was actually confortable with the cold rain.
I figured it was better to learn how she handles in the rain and how I respond.

Not to be corny... but on the way home when the sun came out, a large rainbow appeared. This will make for a rememberable first ride. :bigthumbsup:
:congrats:Get use to it more rain pops up than being nice all day esp on long rides :spyder:But rain does :edit:

matusky
05-24-2008, 01:04 AM
:agree:

I never paid so much attention to the weather....... never had a bike before this but it's great! :congrats:

NancysToy
05-24-2008, 05:56 AM
:congrats: BTW, a rainsuit fits in the trunk nicely.
-Scotty

bjt
05-24-2008, 06:20 AM
:congrats: BTW, a rainsuit fits in the trunk nicely.
-Scotty

That is what dltang uses. My solution to the rain riding was to buy a waterproof riding jacket that I wear all the time and I just got my new waterproof riding pants yesterday. I will probably start wearing them all the time too. Then I'll be the good little boy scout: Always be prepared. ;D

Sopher
05-25-2008, 11:03 PM

That is what dltang uses. My solution to the rain riding was to buy a waterproof riding jacket that I wear all the time and I just got my new waterproof riding pants yesterday. I will probably start wearing them all the time too. Then I'll be the good little boy scout: Always be prepared. ;D

What brand/model of riding pants did you get?

My jacket is FirstGear. Heavy but works. What are your recommendations?

dltang
05-26-2008, 05:38 AM

I have the Tourmaster, Defender rainsuit and I love it. I am getting ready to slip it on now and ride out to a horseshow that I am announcing. Here is a link to a thread about the rain gear. http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5269 Enjoy and buy something you like that works.

bjt
05-26-2008, 10:37 AM

In my sig line is almost all of the spyder related stuff that I have bought and use. Towards the bottom is the riding gear I use, the Tourmaster Transition II jacket and Caliber pants.

I love that jacket. I have told dltang often that I think it is the best Spyder accessory I have bought. I am taller than average and have long arms. The thing fits perfectly, even down to my wrists. It has plenty of adjusting snaps and straps to customize the fit for tightness. If I go on an exercise and diet kick, I can tighten up the straps to fit comfortably and snugly. If I go on an eating binge and put on a pot belly, I can loosen the straps and still be comfortable. ;D It is windproof and waterproof and I have ridden in the rain with it. I am very happy with the waterproofness (is that a word?) of the jacket. My shirt didn't get wet at all. It has a removable insulated liner that helps keep my body warm when riding in 35 degree weather, maybe lower but that is the coldest I've ridden in so far. It has a lot of venting in the sleeves, chest, shoulders and back which kept me comfortable while riding in 80 degree weather, the warmest that I've ridden in so far. And it has body armor in the elbows, shoulders and back so if I do fall off, well I don't really want to think about that. :yikes:

I just got the pants last week so I haven't had the opportunity to use them as much. The Tourmaster Caliber pants are made out of the same material as the Transition II jacket so I am confident of its waterproofness (there's that word again). I did wear it on a cooler (low 40's) morning and the windproof material and the insulated liner kept my legs warm. The insulated liner is removable for warmer weather riding but the pants don't have the vents that the jacket does so I'm not sure how it will feel to wear them in warmer weather. Also, it has waterproof zippers on the outside of the legs, both pants and liner, that go up to about mid thigh. They really make it easier to put the pants on than the other pair of riding pants I tried, Tourmaster Venture Air pants. I can slide them on over my shoes if need be.