PDA

View Full Version : 2009 GS SE5 will not start

donec
05-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I have had this very intermittent problem and have yet to find the cause. I bought the Spyder used with some mods on it and so I don't know what they could have done.

I make sure the kill switch is off I press the brake, turn on the key the dash lights light and all indications are go. I press start and the sound I hear is almost like dragging a cardboard box across the floor for about one second. Head lights never come on and nothing else happens. I have kept the battery on a Black and Decker battery tender. I took the battery to Batteries Plus and they said it was good but I had them charge it over night anyway. Put the battery in my Spyder and no change. Once in the past I got mad and just stomped the brake and tried again and it started. Not this time.

In the past I had the dealer come to pick it up for them to look at it and of course when I tried to demonstrate the problem it started right away as it should.:opps::banghead::mad::hun::dontknow:

While trouble shooting with the battery out being charged I place a multimeter across the positive lead to the negative lead to check for possible shorts. Found the Spyder has a reading of 3vdc. I figure there is a capacitor somewhere that is slow to drain as after about an hour the reading dropped to 1.5vdc. :dontknow:

I don't get around too well anymore, but I have a long history with being a mechanic (auto and tank) and working in electronics and troubleshooting (radar, fire control systems and computers) combined over 32 years professionally. But I know almost nothing about the Spyder other than how to remove panels and as yet only have the owners manual. Waiting on a service manual CD.

Anyone have any suggestions?

sabunim5
05-05-2013, 03:50 PM
You did not mention pressing the mode switch as part of the starting sequence. Mine won't start unless I do that, but I do not have an SE. Good Luck :thumbup:

SPYD1
05-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Yes you have to with a SE.

coz
05-05-2013, 06:49 PM
sounds like you need a battery. they seem to quit in bunches around here:roflblack:

SPYD1
05-05-2013, 07:45 PM
It is that time of year...

donec
05-05-2013, 07:50 PM
:opps::mad::banghead::roflblack:
I feel real stupid. It is not the spyder that is intermittant but rather me and my memory:banghead:
I remembered the Mode Button but for some reason my mind said you push the mode button after it is started before it would move:gaah:.

Anyway Thanks a million Sabunim5 for reminding this old fart about how to do something he has done by memory many many times.:bowdown:

Now I am working almos as well as my Spyder. :yes::yes::clap::clap::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

ARtraveler
05-06-2013, 01:40 PM
It's great when the easy fix is the answer to the problem. :thumbup:

jerpinoy
05-06-2013, 01:51 PM
This is reason that I kept saying I love you guys because we share the same experiences and proud to be one of us.:yes::yes: Have fun riding ride safe and God Bless us all.

Motorcycledave
05-06-2013, 03:14 PM
NOT funny hahahah...
I have owned about 35 + motorcycles and in all that time I have never seen on any forum
so many problems "electrical, or computer" type on any other motorcycles as the Spyders
they have many bugs. If you go on the GoldWing, St Owners, BMW, and such you never see
this stuff I wonder why?????
Dave