PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP! ST-S IS SICK!!

JKMSPYDER
05-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Installed belt tensioner on ST-S Friday night. Raised rear wheel off ground and started Spyder. Put it in first gear and gave it a little throttle to check how the tensioner was working. WRONG! Display went orange and I read VSS, ABS, EBD faults, and even Limp Mode! It wouldn't have surprised me if the word "Idiot" had flashed on the screen. Lowered wheel, took out key and walked away for about an hour. Went back out and tried again. Same codes. Bike will start and runs well, just getting the codes. Called dealer Saturday morning. He suggested riding the Spyder for 10 or 15 miles and the codes may go away. I don't feel comfortable doing that just in case I get stuck somewhere and the Spyder won't go. Only alternative is to trailer to dealer if I can't get the codes to go away. So far, I have had 2,300 trouble-free miles. Darn!! :banghead: :yikes: Any ideas would be appreciated.

Green RSS
05-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Riding it is the best idea. If you are worried about getting stuck somewhere, stay close to your home. Make a short loop repeatedly if needed. You know why the codes popped up, there should not be anything physically wrong with the bike. Best of luck.

mjw930
05-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Just ride it, the codes will become history codes once the systems have good data. For now all they know is they sensed the rear moving without the front and until that data is replaced those codes stay current.

NancysToy
05-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Just ride it, the codes will become history codes once the systems have good data. For now all they know is they sensed the rear moving without the front and until that data is replaced those codes stay current.

:agree:

SpyderAnn01
05-05-2013, 10:38 AM
It wouldn't have surprised me if the word "Idiot" had flashed on the screen. .

Sorry to hear of your troubles but I did get a good laugh out of this. :roflblack::roflblack:

Blue Star
05-05-2013, 11:18 AM

:agree: the computer on these machines can be a pain sometimes. I had a limp home and another code (don't remember what it was) when I got gas one time. After pulling over to the side, took key out, waited ten extremely loooong minutes, I rode it home with no trouble. My mechanic checked the history, and told me it got hot, and I was okay after the shut down/ re-start, as the fan came on. When you do the ride try to make the ride as normal as you can by going up to the speed limit and down. Do not want to ride around for 10 miles going 5 MPH :gaah:

chipshotin
05-05-2013, 12:28 PM
One of the reason I chose a Spyder was because im Not mechanically inclined..i know a left handed nail from a right one:clap:but as far as my trike i leave adjustments to the dealer..rather pay now than pay later:ohyea:

Chupaca
05-05-2013, 01:34 PM
you have upset the gods....:roflblack: Now you must make a sacrifice to calm them down..20 laps around the lake... Good luck..!! :thumbup:

Edsts
05-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Did the codes go away and how bout that belt tensioner does it really work !

JKMSPYDER
05-05-2013, 07:58 PM
I haven't been able to ride since codes appeared. It has been raining here for days. Will try tomorrow if it's not raining.

capt.jim
05-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I would ride it for a bit, the codes should disappear after the computer figures out the wheels are all turning the same speed. I could run my GS in 3rd gear jacked up without throwing codes, the ST not so.

StanProff
05-05-2013, 10:29 PM
I would ride it for a bit, the codes should disappear after the computer figures out the wheels are all turning the same speed. I could run my GS in 3rd gear jacked up without throwing codes, the ST not so.

before I knew better I ran My RT S ,with the rear wheel off the ground, while adjusting the belt alignment. It worked fine, running in 2nd gear, didn't get any codes I was one of the lucky ones. Anyway, it should have thrown a bunch of codes but didn't. I have since adjusted it simply by having the wheel off the ground and turning it by hand, taking only 1/4 turns at a time and rechecking. Tighten the axel nut and go for a short ride then stop and look at it. sometimes it takes a few adjustments to get it right. It may change a little when the nut is tightened.

pro10is
05-06-2013, 09:40 AM
The sensor on the rear wheel is telling the ECU the bike is in motion but both front sensors are showing no motion. You're confusing the poor thing.

JKMSPYDER
05-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Finally was able to ride the Spyder this afternoon after work and avoid the rain showers. All the codes disappeared before I got out of my driveway. Rode about 5 miles and went thru 1st thru 4th gear to check everything out. My thanks to GreenRSS, mjw930, Blue Star, NancysToy, and Chupaca. You guys were right. I just had to ride it to get the codes to clear up. And SpyderAnn, your comment made me smile!! This forum is great for helping out fellow Spyder riders!! This probably won't be the last time I do something stupid again, but lesson well learned!! By the way, I haven't ridden enough to see if the belt tensioner has made a difference, but everyone says it will.