PDA

View Full Version : Visited Can Am Talk site

barb36jack31
05-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Visited the website. I'm sure the info is good and all that, but I like our format here much better. Good design job, Lamont. Nice big print for my 77 year old eyeballs! I really feel at home here.

Jack H.

Derwin
05-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Funny you should say that. I went and visited that sight a few times myself. I even left a message. But it has been over 3 months, and nobody even bothered responding! That sight seems alien to me. Where this sight that Lamont has set up seems like "home", and like we're a part of a Spyder family. At least people respond here!

Derwin

pphantom538
05-23-2008, 04:03 PM
:agree: Use both forums but prefer this one. More members there but less nonsense here. Both have great people and useful info.

Danimal
05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Funny.... I use both.... and prefer that one...... reading white on black is a bit annoying..... and Can-amtalk has much more activity on it... like new posts every 30 minutes or so.

They are both good.... just different. There are many of us that are on both... and some that seem to have left the other one for various reasons. There is plenty of good info on both.... so I have no choice but to use both.

There are some very detailed instructions on both sites.... some things you can only read here... and some you can only read there.

I tend to like more lively online conversations..... with responses happening rather quick.... seems out here people only post once a day or so... where on CAT there are new posts every hour.

Both sites supporting a good cause !

Nice work on both parts.

boogllasti!

NancysToy
05-23-2008, 08:30 PM
:agree: Use both forums but prefer this one. More members there but less nonsense here. Both have great people and useful info.

:agree: :agree: I finally stopped going to Can-am Talk. Some of the folks there got quite nasty. Can't stand when they start cussing each other out, and calling names. This forum is A-1! Keep up the good work. :congrats:
-Scotty

Roaddog2
05-23-2008, 10:34 PM
:agree: :agree: I finally stopped going to Can-am Talk. Some of the folks there got quite nasty. Can't stand when they start cussing each other out, and calling names. This forum is A-1! Keep up the good work. :congrats:
-Scotty
:agree:Good work Lamont :bigthumbsup:

Danimal
05-24-2008, 03:46 AM
There was only one incident where someone was a bit out of line.... there isn't a bunch of cussing or arguements that are out of hand or anything like that.

bjt
05-24-2008, 06:01 AM
...Can-am Talk. Some of the folks there got quite nasty. Can't stand when they start cussing each other out, and calling names. This forum is A-1! Keep up the good work. :congrats:
-Scotty

:agree:

There was only one incident where someone was a bit out of line.... there isn't a bunch of cussing or arguements that are out of hand or anything like that.

There may have been only one bad incident but I think the overall tone over there tends to be more combative in certain posts than what appears over here. Some of the members seem to be a little more snippy over there or more brash. For example, posts of someone's mods on this site tend to receive congratulations or kudos and if someone doesn't like them, the response may be, "I wouldn't do it on my Spyder but if you like it, great". On SpyderTalk, the same post also receives congrats and kudos and the "I wouldn't ..." responses, maybe more so because of the larger membership there. But they also receive the "Thats stupid (ugly, etc.)" that doesn't seem to show up here. In my opinion, those posters don't care about hurting someone else or stirring up an argument. Sometimes it seems they thrive on it. Those types of things don't tend to happen over here.

Also, being I like this forum so much, I would really like to see the membership and the posts increase a hundredfold. The downside to that is that I would have to spend a greater part of my day checking the posts to stay current on what everyone's doing. Here, I know I can show up after missing a few days, read through every new submission and be caught up on what every SpyderLover has done. On SpyderTalk, missing a few days probably means I would have to read through numerous pages of posts in the various topics with the likelihood that I would not have enough time so I would just blow some or all of those posts off. So, in this case, I prefer a little smaller membership and post count.

COSpyder
05-24-2008, 09:43 AM
There have actually been several attacks on the other site, about windshields, brakes, mods, paint, traffic laws, etc. As long as you agree with a handful of folks who are very sure they know everything, you will be okay there. Just make sure you add a smiley face after your are mean and nasty because that makes it all better! It seems to have calmed down, but the little spats and personal attacks still happen. With that said, there are some good folks there and great information. I like this site for the same reason that BJT does. I don't visit the sites too often so it is nice to see what I missed instead of wading through a bunch of posts. Plus, we have some great Lamonster mods on our Valkyrie and we are huge Lamonster fans!

Way2Fast
05-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I made a post here yesterday and it seems to have vanished. IMO the other forum is more interested in the all mighty dollar than they are in giving factual evaluations of various products....if you pay to advertize there you will get good imput on whatever you are selling, regardless of how it performs. Here the info is factual and not hyped up by $$......

Richard

Danimal
05-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Well - to each his own. The 'attitudes' and 'snipping' over there basically comes from one member who thinks nothing of telling people right out 'that is ugly' , or that 'sucks'.

It's just not fair to judge an entire forum by one member. Heck---- he might find his way over here and start saying the same things. I recently told that poster that a 'game' he likes to play (splatting road-kill on the road by trying to hit them with your rear tire and spinning the rear tire so as to tear the animal to shreds) was sick, twisted and stupid. In a situation like that.... I'm gonna call em like I see em.

A big problem with these forums is people try to read - or misread a persons TONE when they write something. Thinking a group is being mean just because they don't post a bunch of 'good mod', and 'right on' smiley faces is silly.

As far as that one being about the $$$$. Well - one could say the same thing about this one..... which seems to cater to 2 or 3 aftermarket suppliers that post their mods and 'upgrades' all the time.

"if you pay to advertize there you will get good imput on whatever you are selling, regardless of how it performs. Here the info is factual and not hyped up by $$......"

I 100% disagree. IMO there are more items over here that are touted as being the latest and greatest without any data to really back up those claims.

The statement about things getting 'good input, regardless of performance' doesn't coinside with the opinion that people are more 'snippy' and judgemental over there. If something doesn't cut the muster over there.... it's called out pretty quickly.

I've seen many out here come to the defense of a few aftermarket manufactureres that are selling questionable (IMO) modifications.

While I like both places... and they both serve a purpose... I feel there is more accurate technical data available at CAT... perhaps just due to the high volume of posts, perhaps because some are more 'direct' instead of just trying to be nice and give everyone that 'warm fuzzy' feeling.

If I see something I think is a bad idea, in particular when it may be unsafe or of questionable 'value', I will state my opinion very directly on it.... which is a comment about the product and not an attack on the person or company.

I very much enjoy both sites and wish both of them well, but I also sometimes think it would be nice to just merge the two and make life easier by having all the posts in one place.

bjt
05-24-2008, 01:53 PM

I very much enjoy both sites and wish both of them well, but I also sometimes think it would be nice to just merge the two and make life easier by having all the posts in one place.

Ufff!!! Then I would never be able to get through all the posts. :joke:

Derwin
05-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Well - to each his own. The 'attitudes' and 'snipping' over there basically comes from one member who thinks nothing of telling people right out 'that is ugly' , or that 'sucks'.

I agree, to each his own. Many are big fans of Lamonster, and some like the back-and-forth that goes on over at the other forum. If a person enjoys civility, and that "warm and fuzzy" feeling, than I guess SpyderLovers.com is the place they will visit most. I am new to all of this, but Lamont gained my respect from the very beginning with his personal attention to my questions. This forum gained my support also by the kind and considerate way people have received me. For some this may not be their thing. But if people came on and told something I love was "ugly" or said other things that were disparaging, you can be sure I would never participate again in that forum. Some people have thick skins, and like the arrows going back and forth. I'm glad that the people here don't act that way. But, anyway, that's why it's great to have various forums for people to participate in.

Derwin

Danimal
05-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Well... I think the whole idea of CAT being 'meaner' or 'full of cussing' has been WAY blown out of proportion. There are fantastic people on BOTH sites.... just like there may be jerks on both sites.

So if someone shows up here and starts calling things ugly (which has already happened) are you going to take your ball and go to another playground?

No - stay and strive to make it a better place.

Lamonster's technical advice and abilities are fantastic and he is great about helping people and spreading the good word of the Spyder!

Marc does a great job on CAT also and CAT seems to have more connection with BRP.

You have the best of it all out here between the two. I bet if Lamont ends up having advertisers out here that those currently on CAT will also advertise out here.

Ken from Evoluzione.net is active in both forums, but somewhat more over at CAT. His expertice on this machine is far above anyone I've come across thus far. His knowledge and products are top notch.

Lamont is the mod-man who can get things to work, and Marcel is the wind-man..... knows his stuff and sells a great product.

Between these 3 guys..... we have a wealth of knowledge at our disposal !

boogllasti !

Derwin
05-24-2008, 07:50 PM
So if someone shows up here and starts calling things ugly (which has already happened) are you going to take your ball and go to another playground?

No - stay and strive to make it a better place.

Well, I happen to agree with you. But I think it all comes down to what people are looking for in a forum. I have a forum with almost 400 members, and you can be sure that I simply won't allow the disrespect of other members. I have told all of my admins and mods to keep on the lookout for that kind of thing, and to take care of it if/when it ever pops-up. Again, I guess it's just a matter of civility. And I am talking about forums in GENERAL, and not targeting any ONE forum in particular.

I would agree, though, that all of the Spyder related forums are a great place to obtain a lot of information that simply is not available without them.

Derwin

Danimal
05-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I agree..... and Marc did remove the offensive post.

So when are you supposed to take delivery on your Spyder?

Did you say you ordered it from a place over here in Michigan?

Derwin
05-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I ordered my Spyder SE5 back in December from Lake Effect in Benton Harbor, MI.

The paper guaranteed delivery by the end of September, but I'm hoping it will be a lot sooner than that. ;D

Derwin

Danimal
05-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Well... you'll at least get it in time for some fall ryding.

Didn't you say you are from Illinois?

Are you planning on ryding it home?

It would be good if you can find a demo/tour of the Spyder team when they have an SE5 with them for you to practice on. I think they are taking a few on the tour over the summer.