PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help

murphybrown
05-05-2013, 05:05 AM
GM fellow SL's..
you may have seen on another thread that Ms Spyder decided yesterday to lock in 3rd gear. Did all the usual chk oil level - it was fine. Pull key walk away routine .. Tried that 3 times, never know 3rd time might have been the charm. Not. Good news only a short block from a motel. Better news Dick574 still traveling with me (he heads back home on Fri). I have the BEST extended warranty and AAA RV roadside. Nearest dealer is 30 miles east in Jackson TN. Ms Spyder sulling up like an ole mule after shop hours is not the most convenient. All this said to ASK:
anyone know how to locate a real person from Carlock Powersports before 9 am on Tuesday. Minimum goal would be to get the Spyder to the dealership and secured there ASAP so their Spyder tech can see ASAP . Thank you for any and all input.
a couple FYI the BEST warranty has a $200 max on towing..AAA not confirmed but will verify is 100 miles.
thanks in advance. I am aok..just one of those non life threatening parts of living /loving life . :thumbup: Just called AAA and my coverage is for up to 200 miles. Wahoo that will work for me.

GloryRyders
05-05-2013, 05:42 AM
Sorry to hear that are having a problem :gaah:. Same thing has happened to me in the past except it was "stuck" in 2nd gear. Apparently what happened is that the "shift cable" (I think that is what they called it) became detached and you could see it hanging loose from underneath the Spyder. All they did was to reattach it and locktight it in place.:2thumbs: Take a look under your :spyder:and see if anything is hanging down that shouldn't be. If so, maybe Scotty, Lamount or one other of the more knowledgeable will tell you how to reattach it!

Good luck, we will be :pray: for you!

mrfats
05-05-2013, 06:44 AM
I was sure sad to hear about Ms. Spyder last night! Hopefully it is something simple and you'll be on your way soon. I'll check in with you later this morning after our SL experts chime in. It's so fortunate there are soooo many good knowledgeable people on here! Everyone is always willing to assist.

Good luck, prayers are with you. Thanks to Dick574 for being there with you!

murphybrown
05-05-2013, 08:10 AM
I have discovered a dealer in Nashville Tennessee, American Powersports, that is open Monday if I can get in there I can move this up a day. Sooooo Anyone out there have an opinion on American power sports as a dealer and if so do you have a personal contact number that I might be able to call on a Sunday? Thank you very much for any and all help that you can give me. :yes::yes:

murphybrown
05-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Sorry to hear that are having a problem :gaah:. Same thing has happened to me in the past except it was "stuck" in 2nd gear. Apparently what happened is that the "shift cable" (I think that is what they called it) became detached and you could see it hanging loose from underneath the Spyder. All they did was to reattach it and locktight it in place.:2thumbs: Take a look under your :spyder:and see if anything is hanging down that shouldn't be. If so, maybe Scotty, Lamount or one other of the more knowledgeable will tell you how to reattach it!

Good luck, we will be :pray: for you!
just checked under Spyder .. Nothing appears out of place...
thanks for the :pray:...

fireplug98
05-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Sorry to hear Karyl !!
As everyone else, I wish I were nearby to help.
Hope its a simple fix. Glad you have AAA :-)

Tommy J.

bullant12
05-05-2013, 08:20 AM
I have discovered a dealer in Nashville Tennessee, American Powersports, that is open Monday if I can get in there I can move this up a day. Sooooo Anyone out there have an opinion on American power sports as a dealer and if so do you have a personal contact number that I might be able to call on a Sunday? Thank you very much for any and all help that you can give me. :yes::yes:

SRA TVC members have bought from them and I understand they are pretty reliable. However, if you are heading west, you can be towed to FRS Powersports which they will open Monday as well. You can contact Brantley Gaither, the GM there.

Green RSS
05-05-2013, 08:29 AM
I've bought all my Spyders from American Powersports (Madison store). I'm sorry but I don't have any phone numbers to contact anyone on a Sunday. But I can tell you they have been a good dealership and have a good service department (in Madison). I've never used the one in Nashville (8th Ave). Best of Luck and hope it's something minor. :thumbup:

murphybrown
05-05-2013, 08:31 AM
SRA TVC members have bought from them and I understand they are pretty reliable. However, if you are heading west, you can be towed to FRS Powersports which they will open Monday as well. You can contact Brantley Gaither, the GM there.
thanks for info but I am headed east

Kungfuspyder
05-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Big # 1 motorsports are open today at noon, phone # 205-942-3313.

bullant12
05-05-2013, 08:41 AM
thanks for info but I am headed east

I got the contact info for the America's Motorsports but in Madison (north of Nashville) 615-859-7292. You can call them Monday and they can help you out. Tell them you were referred by SRA-TVC.

Missy - Service Manager
Jimmy - Backup SM (Missy might be off Mondays)
Chris Watts - General Manager

Firefly
05-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Don't the SE models come with some special tool to manually shift them if the get stuck like this?

tnhoover
05-05-2013, 08:51 AM
PM sent

Kungfuspyder
05-05-2013, 08:55 AM
I just forwarded an email to you, I hope it will help.

murphybrown
05-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Don't the SE models come with some special tool to manually shift them if the get stuck like this?
Not aware of any such special tool but there certainly could be one I am definitely not a mechanic...:(

NancysToy
05-05-2013, 10:06 AM

It is a 13 mm wrench, as I recall. Look in the toolkit. The procedure is in the manual. Not sure if it will work from 3rd gear, though. There are probably other issues, if the throttle won't respond and it won't go to neutral by itself with your foot on the brake. I'd check for active fault codes (for the RT press MODE, SET,, and turn signal cancel simultaneously, then release, with the ignition on). That may not tell you much, and will tell you nothing if it is mechanical, but it could give you a clue of how bad the problem is.

Chupaca
05-05-2013, 10:14 AM
But will keep my fingers crossed and say a little :pray: for you. Hope it is just a loose cable or such and you can back on your way..good luck..!!

MrLooney
05-05-2013, 10:27 AM
MB sorry I can only give you moral support from this side under the 3rd Rock! Best of luck and hope it is so minor and your on the road quickly

Jeriatric
05-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Murphy,

Have you looked in 'Spyders to the rescue section' for help? May be a great place to find a knowledgeable owner in your area that's willing to pop over and lend a hand. FWIW

Hope it's nothing major Murphy.

murphybrown
05-05-2013, 11:29 AM
It is a 13 mm wrench, as I recall. Look in the toolkit. The procedure is in the manual. Not sure if it will work from 3rd gear, though. There are probably other issues, if the throttle won't respond and it won't go to neutral by itself with your foot on the brake. I'd check for active fault codes (for the RT press MODE, SET,, and turn signal cancel simultaneously, then release, with the ignition on). That may not tell you much, and will tell you nothing if it is mechanical, but it could give you a clue of how bad the problem is.
Thanks Scotty unfortunately no fault codes And will not come out of third at all. Thanks to the awesome network here found a highly recommended dealer in Madison and AAA will haul me there in The morning. The dealership is even open on Monday YEA. Thks again

murphybrown
05-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Here is the latest everything is getting organized AAA will haul spyder up to 200 miles. Best warranty was $200 max estimated at 30 miles. You guys get one guess as to which company I went with! See Spyderlovers are winners in everything you guessed right! Then kung fu spider put a shout out to his SRA – TVC ryding group And they came back with a sound endorsement for America motorsports Madison Tennessee location. And they are open Monday morning. I will be a very early riser in the morning because I need to call AAA at 3 AM to arrange a 6 am o'clock . Then bullant 12 Got me names for the people at that dealership. So many incredible people with so much help it makes it's almost fun. Oh okay I'm not quite that excited that Ms Spyder locked up..but it's a good idea To remain positive in all things And I have been working on squeezing lemons into lemonade for the last 20 hours. GOS were incredible . So many to thank so if you didn't get listed please except my apologies but my sincere sincere thank you. I will let you know what they find I'm thinking positive I know it's just going to be that cable thingy!!!:pray:

Bob Denman
05-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Since Ms. Spyder isn't popping any codes; :agree:.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_15.gif

rhinozxq
05-05-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm anxiously watching to see what the fix is for your spyder as we have a friend whose spyder is locked in fourth gear after their first ride on it. Dealership is looking at it but doesn't have a fix at this time. I hope that they'll be able to get you fixed and back on the road quickly.

ARtraveler
05-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear of the problem with the :spyder2:. Glad to see all the support and encouragement you are receiving from fellow Spyderlovers.

I had the same thing happen near end of season last year. Locked in second gear. Turned out to be the shift linkage became disconnected as referred to in a couple posts above. A quick fix and mostly labor if nothing else got buggered up.

Please keep us posted. Your attitude, under adverse conditions, just rocks. :2thumbs:

kubie
05-05-2013, 06:14 PM
:pray:just gave a shout out to the big guy for you Mam... Hope it all works out well for ya!!!