PDA

View Full Version : HANDLE BAR GRIPS

dundee
05-22-2008, 09:38 PM
I DIDN'T LIKE THE GRIPS that came as STANDARD. My hands got tired and wanted to go sleep, was hard to hold the throttle pressure. I installed Kuryakyn grips with palm boss. Cost $69.00

Installation was easy overall. The left side is simple; add some spacer tape and glue it on. The right side requires cutting off 1 inch of the handle bar, releaving the throttle block radius with a domor grinder and installing the grip. Pretty simple. Just make sure you position the throttle block in the hole that is in the handle bar before tighting the bolts.

See pictures can't figure out how to insert picture here.
contact me : jreno2@cox.net

tweeder
06-17-2008, 11:48 AM
do you have a part # and also a size (1" or 1 1/4")or what ever?

dundee
06-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Good morning

If you log on to www.jakewilson.com look under grips. The phone number is 1-800-721-8253 to talk with someone.
I used p/n 122-631 on my bike. Any of the grips shown will work.

daddydarko
06-18-2008, 06:21 AM
Any 7/8" grips will do for the left. I used a 1" for the throttle. Just be careful with the glue! I was Spyderless for a week because of that crap!

And don't bother asking Kuryakyn what works for the :spyder: . They're a clueless bunch to be sure.

Danimal
06-18-2008, 11:26 PM
You're saying you actually cut 1" off your righthand bar???

That doesn't make sense to me..... why would you need to do that?

ataDude
06-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Grip Puppies. Google the name... I assume they're still in business.

I had some "in stock" from other bikes ... they work well...

http://www.st-owners.com/pp_gallery/data/500/ataDude-throttle-grip.JPG

VIspyderman
06-20-2008, 02:55 PM
You're saying you actually cut 1" off your righthand bar???

That doesn't make sense to me..... why would you need to do that?

This question was asked... is there an answer? My techs, without attempting the installation, can't think of a reason to have to cut the bars.

VIspyderman
06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
This question was asked... is there an answer? My techs, without attempting the installation, can't think of a reason to have to cut the bars.

Still looking for details about installing Kury grips. Has anyone done it and if so... tell me what was involved, please.

Spydyr
07-06-2008, 10:37 AM
I have Kuryakyn Iso grips with the throttle boss installed on mine. I order 7/8" universal iso grips. One grip is sized to fit over the throttle sleeve. The hardest part of installation was getting the left grip off because it is glued. I used a small phillips screwdriver and jambed it between the grip and handlebar and worked it all the way around until the grip was free. The throttle side wasn't glued. It's just a snug fit. You can either cut it off or work it off but be carefull pulling on the throttle housing. I haven't glued them yet because I wanted to be able to adjust them after riding and getting a feel for them. The throttle side is plenty snug enough but I had to wrap the left side of the handle bar with electrical tape to get the grip tight without glue. I'll post pics when I figure out how.

ataDude
07-06-2008, 04:38 PM
...The hardest part of installation was getting the left grip off because it is glued. I used a small phillips screwdriver and jambed it between the grip and handlebar and worked it all the way around until the grip was free....

Next time, with the small screwdriver inserted, spray a liberal amount of WD-40 in there... it's a solvent and will dissolve the glue.

:thumbup:

jeuchler
07-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Grip Puppies. Google the name... I assume they're still in business.

I had some "in stock" from other bikes ... they work well...

http://www.st-owners.com/pp_gallery/data/500/ataDude-throttle-grip.JPG

Thanks, atadude...I have a ten hour ride ahead of me on Friday, and thought I'd give Grip Puppies a try.

I just ordered a set from CA Sport Touring (http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?).

ataDude
07-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks, atadude...I have a ten hour ride ahead of me on Friday, and thought I'd give Grip Puppies a try.

I just ordered a set from CA Sport Touring (http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?).

No problem. This is the third bike I've used them on in the last five years.

Be prepared for a few cuss words getting them on. I've used both soap and water and WD-40... both about the same.

:2thumbs:

vtrider
07-11-2008, 08:24 PM
One way that I've removed grips and added them is using compressed air. On my ST1300 honda I needed to add symtec grip heaters on the bars. Using compressed in between the grips and the bars really helped in removing them. Instead of grip glue, I used hair spray on the bars which helps to slide the new grips on. Again, use forced air in between the grips to help them slide in place.

mike3069
07-13-2008, 09:20 AM

Which size did you get?

Small or Large?

jeuchler
07-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Which size did you get?

Small or Large?

Mike--

Here's what's written on my receipt:

GPLARGE Grip Puppies ? - Large. For bikes with 1.45" to 1.65" diameter grips $8.20

They fit absolutely fine with a liberal dose of dish detergent squirted down into the hole, then rinsed around a bit.

(I actually hosed down the grips once mounted so I wouldn't be sudzing all over the road in the rain!)

I didn't trim the length, so it rides right up onto the flare. The ten hour ride turned our to be longer, and I was letting the little bit up over the flare distract me. They did help, but when I got numb I just varied my speed (change the vibrations) and flex for a couple of seconds and I was OK.

I may see if I can get them off easily and trim a half inch off.

From the photo, it looks like atadude may have trimmed his...or they might be the small size?

ataDude
07-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Mike--

Here's what's written on my receipt:

GPLARGE Grip Puppies ? - Large. For bikes with 1.45" to 1.65" diameter grips $8.20

They fit absolutely fine with a liberal dose of dish detergent squirted down into the hole, then rinsed around a bit.

(I actually hosed down the grips once mounted so I wouldn't be sudzing all over the road in the rain!)

I didn't trim the length, so it rides right up onto the flare. The ten hour ride turned our to be longer, and I was letting the little bit up over the flare distract me. They did help, but when I got numb I just varied my speed (change the vibrations) and flex for a couple of seconds and I was OK.

I may see if I can get them off easily and trim a half inch off.

From the photo, it looks like atadude may have trimmed his...or they might be the small size?

Quite honestly, I don't remember the size I ordered. At the time of order, I was riding an ST-1300. They were "left overs" for the spYder.