PDA

View Full Version : Vibration and Tire Wear

bandwagon
05-04-2013, 07:52 AM
I had the clutch and rotors replaced on my 09 SE5 two days prior to leaving for Spyderfest. Doing a ride from Branson to Springfield my wife and I noticed a lot of vibration really bad at low rpm and smooth out when it hits 70mph; over 70mph and the vibration returns. I have over 22,000 miles and is about to buy my third set of tires and second wheel alignment. This problem greatly reduced our riding during Spyderfest. What can the dealer mechs do to correct these issues. I want to ride but I want to do it safely. Thanks for your reply. :banghead:

3wheels
05-04-2013, 08:20 AM
I have a vibration that starts at about 45 to 50 MPH. It appears to be the belt and from what I have heard, BRP was having problems with the bearings going so the fix was to loosen the belt which causes vibration. If your dealer didn't loosen the tension on the belt then it could be from wear. I bought my 2009 GS SE5 with 5K miles and it now has 7500 on it. Front tires are like new but the back is close to the wear bars. Probably because it's the drive wheel.

There is an after market belt tensioner that appears to fix the vibration problem but I'm not sure if that will bring back the bearing problem.

Good Luck.

BajaRon
05-04-2013, 09:48 AM
I am surprised that you needed either a new clutch or rotors at 22k. Like to hear more about that. As for vibration, the first thing that you have to do is find the cause. It could be anything from loose lug nuts or of balance tires to belt vibration.

Once you find the source, then you can attack the problem.

bandwagon
05-04-2013, 11:15 PM
I am surprised that you needed either a new clutch or rotors at 22k. Like to hear more about that. As for vibration, the first thing that you have to do is find the cause. It could be anything from loose lug nuts or of balance tires to belt vibration.

Once you find the source, then you can attack the problem.

During a ride I noticed that when I got on the gas the spyder did not increase in speed right away. One of the guys at the dealership test rode it and noticed the same. They said it was the clutch and it needed replacing. They think the vibration is not at the front wheels and will be checking motor mounts, belt tention and whatever else they can think of. I told them about the shock relocator that PitBull sales. I do not know if they work with the RS. If they do that may help with the bad wear on the tires. Thanks again for the info.

SpyRyd
05-05-2013, 06:04 AM
During a ride I noticed that when I got on the gas the spyder did not increase in speed right away. One of the guys at the dealership test rode it and noticed the same. They said it was the clutch and it needed replacing. They think the vibration is not at the front wheels and will be checking motor mounts, belt tention and whatever else they can think of. I told them about the shock relocator that PitBull sales. I do not know if they work with the RS. If they do that may help with the bad wear on the tires. Thanks again for the info.

I don't think PitBull's shock brackets will do anything to "correct" your abnormal/bad tire wear. IMO there is something like tire balance, front end alignment, worn suspension parts, etc. causing the tire wear. Hopefully your tech can find the cause and correct it so you can enjoy ryding without concern.