PDA

View Full Version : Tempted

kepople
05-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I am really thinking about getting an RT for me and my Family. (yep, we will have to take turns with the kids)

Do you use it as much as you thought you would?
Whats it like owning one in texas? I would think our riding season would be limited.
Whats the best time of year to purchase?

Are there any gotchas?

This is my first less than 4 wheel vehicle btw so I still need to get a liscense.

thanks for your input.

spydaman60
05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
well, I can't help ya on the texas part, but I can say that my wife and I put on over 7400 miles in just over four months when we got it. have to say that is more than I thought she'd ride. we have a blast on it and are looking forward to a summer full of pleasure this year. good luck on your decision, but sounds to me like you ought to buy two!!!!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

TexasSpyder
05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
I own a 2012 RT Ltd. Have had it for a little over 1 year and love it. Has been very reliable. You have a great dealer close by in Greenville. Louis Powersports has good techs and sales personnel and a good stock of Spyders. Go in and ask for Curtis, he will take care of your desire for an RT with about the best price and service.

J. D.

Chupaca
05-02-2013, 04:17 PM
I am really thinking about getting an RT for me and my Family. (yep, we will have to take turns with the kids)

Whats it like owning one in texas? I would think our riding season would be limited.

Are there any gotchas?

This is my first less than 4 wheel vehicle btw so I still need to get a liscense.

thanks for your input.

we use ours more than we thought we would, we have an RS @ 1000 miles a month...:ohyea:
Lived in Texas but roadsters were not around yet but rode bikes all year around no problem. Just clothing..
Best time is when your ready. Test ryde one and you may just ryde it home...:yes:
There are many many ryders in Texas you will not be alone...:thumbup:

SPYD1
05-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Right now is a good time to buy. I see new 2012s still for sale at great discounts.

StanProff
05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
My wife and I really enjoy my RT S . Going on 16,000 miles in less than two years. More miles than I put on my two wheelers (before I got the spyder). I very seldom ride on two any more. It's three for me. I have two or three more major trips planned for this year.

my3gs
05-02-2013, 06:00 PM
I own a 2012 RT Ltd. Have had it for a little over 1 year and love it. Has been very reliable. You have a great dealer close by in Greenville. Louis Powersports has good techs and sales personnel and a good stock of Spyders. Go in and ask for Curtis, he will take care of your desire for an RT with about the best price and service.

J. D.
Ya an they mite have a 2012 left over that means u could save a LOT$$$

Illinois Boy
05-02-2013, 07:16 PM

Are there any gotchas?

thanks for your input.

Depends on the age of your children. I assume you are reasonable. Your kids might drive you nuts wanting to ride all the time.

A very high percentage of Spyder owners ride their Spyders enough to be worth the purchase (not to mention the enjoyment of it).

Heat can sometimes be a problem for some; but there are modifications that are available to help a bit with the engine heat. (All new vehicles run hotter than they used to.)

Anytime you find a good buy. However late in the season is a good time. I bought mine late August of 2011 when BRP has a year-end rebate of $2,000. There are some dealers with models sitting on the showroom floor now I am sure they would like to sell. Buy from a reputable dealer with a strong service department.

Are there any gotchas?

Spyders have been known to have their quirks. They can be sensitive machines, and need to be taken care of -- not abused. Stick with the maintenance required as stated. Read the thread link in my signature line for "newbies".

This is my first less than 4 wheel vehicle btw so I still need to get a license.

Most anyone would recommend a motorcycle course because of the added skills you will learn for your own safety -- however it is not required. But do realize... Spyders are NOT toys and you can hurt yourself if you are an idiot on them. Having said that, Spyders are considerably more safe than motorcycles.

Lastly; I hope you can get one and enjoy your self with your family. Wish you would have been my father!! LOL!

DocRags
05-02-2013, 08:28 PM
We have around 35000 miles on our first Spyder (a manual RS which is my husband's, which we've owned a little over 2 years) and almost 8000 miles on my RT, which we purchased late last fall. I got my license after we purchased the RT and LOVE riding it. My Mini Cooper convertible usually gets left behind in the garage when we decide to go out. We pretty much ride our Spyders year round, provided it's not too cold outside. We're in the FL Panhandle so we do get a bit more of the four seasons than the rest of the state. We actually purchased our Spyder from Curtis at Louis Powersports, who had a great end-of-the-year deal on an RT Limited (which our own dealer didn't have). Good luck deciding what to do.

muonwhiz
05-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Are there any gotchas?

thanks for your input.
I have an RT and live in Texas. I ryde mine almost every day to and from work and on weekends too. Weather can be very different in the different areas of TX but you should be able to ride almost all of the year. Besides keeping up with the dealers in your area, check on motorcycle sales sites such as oodle- you can sometimes get a good deal there. But you should have a mechanic check out any bike you buy used from a private party unless you are good with this yourself. Let us know when you purchase!

bullant12
05-03-2013, 01:12 PM
:welcome:Although some of your questions can be found around the forums, you have some unique ones:

make sure they are wearing their gear and fits correctly!;)

When we bought the first one in 2010, I thought it would be just something to go on weekend getaways. As time gone by (and made my wife another :spyder2: Lover) we have gone thru 3 Spyders and over 22,000 miles of rYding... and we have 2 full time jobs with 3 dogs and no kids.

We used to live in Texas and I know what the weather is like. I got bit by the Motorcycle (later :spyder2:) while living there, so there is a very lively motorcycle community there. If you can deal with the heat then you should be ok.

Like everyone else said, the best time is when YOU are ready. End of season you see deep discounts for the lastest year so the dealers can make room for next years, and in the begining of the season dealers try to get their old inventory out.

Are there any gotchas?

:spyder2: are sophisticated machines, so just get yourself a good dealer (heard good things about Louis Powersports which is not far from Rockwall) and get yourself educated like many of us did by these forums, as well as reading the manual and do the required servicing. Also, get the extended warranty since the new one only lasts 2 years, the extended adds 3 more on top of those.

For Texas you will need it according to BRP's website:

Operator License needed for TXOperator license required

All you need is a Motorcycle License to ride a Can-Am roadster.

Can I use the Can-Am Roadster to pass the skills test?

Yes, if you do not have a Motorcycle License, you can use the Can-Am roadster to pass the skills test and get your operator license.

Can the skills test be waived?

Yes, the skills test can be waived if you have successfully completed a rider training course approved by your local authority.

Can I obtain a motorcycle learner's permit?

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DPS / Driver's License Div. office and be riding the same day.

But as stated above, it is a great education to get so it makes you a better rYder. Good luck!

fyrertuck
05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Hello

I am up in New England and I try to ride the RT each day. In the morning right now it is 38 to 45deg and the ride home 65 to 85 deg. The lowest I will go is 36deg because I have an hour ride to work and back.

30 years of riding and the last 19 on a Goldwing and I think I ride the Spyder more than I did with the Wing. I love the way it hands in the rain, cold, heat and so on.

You will love the ride just; take a couple of test rides the more you can the better.

ARtraveler
05-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Pretty much what everyone else is saying.

A good dealer is important for setting up the :spyder2: properly. You now have three models to choose from--all with variations.

RS--If you like the sport bike styling and want to ride in a little of a croutch.
ST--Half way between the sport bike and the full touring model. More upright seating.
RT--Full blown touring with all the comforts and ameneties you are willing to pay for.

Recommend you test drive to get the one that suits and fits you best.

I have owned 4 :ani29:,s since their inception. One GS (first year version), One RS. Two RT's. One RT-S premier edition with everything and one RT--A&C (a few less gadgets). Total of slightly over 83,000 miles. Have not had a bad one in the bunch.

No experience with the ST's. Lots of threads have appeared in the past few months about the ST's.

Let us know what you decide. If you pull the trigger--post pictures of course. :welcome:

Riding RT Limited
05-11-2013, 11:12 PM
We bought our RT for road trips and weekends. After the first time my wife road it by herself, she decided it was going to be her daily driver. She rides it to work every day, if I want to ride I have to take her to work to get the RT for the day. So, like I said be ready to buy two!

Jack

Oh, by the way I am selling my 1976 Ford Gran Torino (Starsky) so I can get another :ani29:....

Michael211_2000
05-23-2013, 04:17 PM
You will love the ride just; take a couple of test rides the more you can the better.

Personnally I'm finding THAT to be a catch-22... if you don't have a Motorcylce endorsement on your license already you cannot test drive/ride a Spyder, and so far I've found no way to get a Motorcycle endorsement on my license without either taking an expensive safety course (all appear to require the use of a 2-wheeled cycle and run between $200 and $300) or already owning my own Spyder to take either a safety course (trike/Spyder friendly if possible) or DPS drivers test with. :dontknow:

This is just.... frustrating! :banghead:

There has got to be a better way I swear!

- Michael

Chief2
05-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Personnally I'm finding THAT to be a catch-22... if you don't have a Motorcylce endorsement on your license already you cannot test drive/ride a Spyder, and so far I've found no way to get a Motorcycle endorsement on my license without either taking an expensive safety course (all appear to require the use of a 2-wheeled cycle and run between $200 and $300) or already owning my own Spyder to take either a safety course (trike/Spyder friendly if possible) or DPS drivers test with. :dontknow:

This is just.... frustrating! :banghead:

There has got to be a better way I swear!

- Michael

The Cycle Shop in Lufkin Tx offers a three wheel course each month 936-637-7555 he has two three wheelers that I know of to use. The price is under 200.

Coptermike
05-29-2013, 11:56 PM
My perspective is a little different.....haven't had my Spyder too long but like everyone else, love it:clap: My new RT is just a month old but I already have 1100 miles on it and planning 2500 more by the middle of June. I think Texas is great riding weather for more of the year than some of our northern friends get. As I said, no reason not to buy....

About the endorsement, I took 3 wheel class in Denton and it was easy and fun. He also has Spyder for rent. You can also take two wheel course at many locations if you would rather. Either class works to get your endorsement and after you can ride either one.

effgjamis
05-30-2013, 02:05 AM
anyone for a ride? I am ready..

Just drop the hat and I am on the road again.

Chief2
05-30-2013, 07:25 AM
I bought my wife a 2011 RT SE5 In April liked it so much I bought a 2012 for my self this month. They are great and fun to ride. I recommend taking the 3 wheel course even if you are an experienced 2 wheeler. There are a few things different with three wheelers and I learned at lot plus you get a little brake on insurance.:spyder: