PDA

View Full Version : unlucky newb owner

moby
05-01-2013, 02:25 PM
picked up my new 2013 sts yellow se5 last saturday. On my 2 mile test ride i noticed it was surging at idle . I'll try to explain.It would rev from up 10000 rpm to about 3000rpm. when i stopped ,it would surge me forward,even in neutral! Than when i went to take off it would sputter like crazy for a short time than take off suddenly, that stunk! Called dealer when i
got home and they were very surprised something was wrong. They are going to pick it up.Still love my new ride:yes: . ha stuff happens what are you going do.life is to short!! I'll keep u posted on the fix. This is my first post hope i did it right!!

ARCTIC
05-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Man, that sucks '!!!! Nothing worse than having a new toy you can't play with.

kubie
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Sorry about your luck... I never herd of this problem so I cant help. but I'm sure some one will come along soon to help you understand the problem! hope your dealer works it out. They should have test driven your Ryde before you took ownership of it.

ARtraveler
05-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the new :spyder2:. Had the dealer taken it for a shake down ride--maybe the issue would have been caught prior to delivery.

It's most likely an electronic glitch--but dealer should find it and fix it.

More mechanically inclined members will likely chime in with more information.

:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde. :thumbup:

Chupaca
05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new ryde. Now that the greeting is done am sorry to hear about your first run. Know they will get you going and things will be right soon. Hang in there..!! :thumbup:

Sny
05-01-2013, 03:48 PM
How many miles were on it when you were riding it?

BRP recommends that dealers don't let anyone ride or take ownership of a Spyder with under 25 miles. But most dealers know that customers think new means 0 miles.

The ECU takes a while to learn and it'll run crazy for those first miles as it adjusts to it's new home.

I was told that manufacturers like Harley put their bikes on a dyno at the factory for 25 miles and then zero out the odometer. This gives everything a little time to seat and break in before handing it to a potential customer. I'm sure others do as well (I know BMW does.)

Hopefully it's nothing big.

SPYD1
05-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Welcome and congrats. Hopefully a minor issue.

SpyderAnn01
05-01-2013, 04:24 PM
:welcome: I know how you feel as I just picked up my new RT last weekend and it has been throwing codes. :yikes: It is frustrating but as you said stuff happens and I am confident that the problems will be fixed. I put 59,000 miles on my last Spyder in 3 years and I plan to do the same with this one.

moby
05-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks all for the replies! At signing I remember them saying 0 miles on it. The 5 min over view with mechanic I was so dazed and excited I just did't ask the right ???'s I wished I would have. I thought I new every thing from reading here , I guess I froze. I think I asked him to many questions . It still LOOKS GOOD in the garage!!! To bad, we're having high temp up here in vt.

flamingobabe
05-01-2013, 05:03 PM
That's a bummer...but keep us posted on the fix...you will have many happy miles...I put 54,000 on my RS in 2 1/2 years and already have 3400 on my ST-L

moby
05-01-2013, 06:06 PM
That's a bummer...but keep us posted on the fix...you will have many happy miles...I put 54,000 on my RS in 2 1/2 years and already have 3400 on my ST-L
Holy cow.. you people but some miles on these things!!! Are they that dependable !! we ( wife ) Want to go back to nova scotia this summer I shouldn't worry I guess.

SporterSpider
05-01-2013, 06:18 PM
:congrats:on your new ryde. Sorry to here about the problems before you got to put some miles on it. But they will get it taken care of and I am sure you will be well pleased with the Spyder. When I purchased mine a while back it had a roll in the idle, the mechanic said it was not right but ,I said let me put some miles on it, the Spyder ran great. I brought it back for the 600 mi. service they replace the throttle body and a couple of other parts. I have about 9000 mi on it and I am well pleased with the Spyder.:yes: Hope you are able to start riding soon! Have a great one!

Green RSS
05-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Sorry your new :f_spider: isn't right. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. Best of luck. :thumbup:

shelbydave
05-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Holy cow.. you people but some miles on these things!!! Are they that dependable !! we ( wife ) Want to go back to nova scotia this summer I shouldn't worry I guess.

I think you tend to worry about your first long trip. We got ours in June last year, and in September, I decided to take it to KY to visit my mom (about 550 mile trip). Funny thing is, that right up until the day I left, I was debating on taking the truck instead, then I finally decided that as long as I'm prepared, I could handle any issues with the Spyder, and I had just as much of a chance to break down with any of our other vehicles. I really needed that ride to get over the fear of a long trip though... The wife and I took the Spyder to Savannah, GA for our anniversary in March, and preparation was the key thing. We had a blast, and will do it again.

murphybrown
05-03-2013, 11:47 AM
:f_spider:
Traveled Nova Scotia last year...bay of fundy..totally awesome .. Lobster rolls dang awesome. :yes: Yep ryde ms Spyder everywhere. Working my way east to Smoky mt area then south. Then west. Then north. Then maybe home....ryde ryde ryde. IMHO no better way to travel :thumbup:

Lilly
05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
:f_spider:
Traveled Nova Scotia last year...bay of fundy..totally awesome .. Lobster rolls dang awesome. :yes: Yep ryde ms Spyder everywhere. Working my way east to Smoky mt area then south. Then west. Then north. Then maybe home....ryde ryde ryde. IMHO no better way to travel :thumbup:

hey murphy: Do you do ALL this riding by yourself??????

bruiser
05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Sounds like a loose/faulty electrical connection.

moby
05-03-2013, 06:47 PM
I think you tend to worry about your first long trip. We got ours in June last year, and in September, I decided to take it to KY to visit my mom (about 550 mile trip). Funny thing is, that right up until the day I left, I was debating on taking the truck instead, then I finally decided that as long as I'm prepared, I could handle any issues with the Spyder, and I had just as much of a chance to break down with any of our other vehicles. I really needed that ride to get over the fear of a long trip though... The wife and I took the Spyder to Savannah, GA for our anniversary in March, and preparation was the key thing. We had a blast, and will do it again.
Talking about being prepaid i'm already finding all can-am dealers from vt to nova scotia just for peace of mind.:yikes: freak I know!! But from what i'm hearing I just have to ride,, thanks

shelbydave
05-03-2013, 07:34 PM
If you have a Garmin GPS, there's a link here somewhere to a GPX file that has all the dealers in North America. Since I don't need ALL the dealers at once, I usually load the GPX into my Garmin Basecamp software, and pick out the ones in in the area I'm going to, and along the way. Then I load those points into my Nuvi, ad Bingo. Anything that goes wrong, I have the nearest dealer.

I'll see if I can find the link, but hopefully someone here is more internet savvy, or has it on speed dial, so they can post it up.

moby
05-04-2013, 09:22 PM
great idea, thanks!!! couldn't stand it, I had to take my little lemon:spyder: out, put 30 miles on her..him.. still surging !! going in the shop wed , still in love:bowdown:. can't wait for it to be running perfect!!!

moby
05-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Brought her in today,, they hooked it up to the mother board and they said, it was running on one cylinder. there going to dig deeper soon,he thought it might just be a bad plug, witch didn't sound right to me, because it ran ok at higher rpms we"ll see. Hope it didn't hurt the motor any:banghead:

ARtraveler
05-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Wow~! If they sent you out the door on one cylinder, I wonder about the set up in total. I would have a good long discussion with the owner.

flamingobabe
05-08-2013, 08:08 PM
keep us posted

BajaRon
05-08-2013, 08:51 PM
OUCH! :yikes:

Mexican
05-08-2013, 09:04 PM
They are that dependable, we are ready for our trip next week to Maggie Valley, round trip with the riding we do ther is expected to be 2800 to 3000 miles in less than a week:clap:

NancysToy
05-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Common cause is a bad plug wire. I hope they are smart enough to figure it out.

Zenagirl
05-09-2013, 03:15 PM
How many miles were on it when you were riding it?

BRP recommends that dealers don't let anyone ride or take ownership of a Spyder with under 25 miles. But most dealers know that customers think new means 0 miles.

The ECU takes a while to learn and it'll run crazy for those first miles as it adjusts to it's new home.

I was told that manufacturers like Harley put their bikes on a dyno at the factory for 25 miles and then zero out the odometer. This gives everything a little time to seat and break in before handing it to a potential customer. I'm sure others do as well (I know BMW does.)

Hopefully it's nothing big.

Boy, so sorry to hear that you encountered problems on your way home from just picking up your new Spyder!!! I agree with that the dealership should have test driven your Spyder, but what the person above says about them not wanting to is right. My dealership didn't want to put miles on my bike before I took it home and they said most people want 0 miles to show on the odometer. I told them I wanted them to at least take my bike for a 15 mile test drive if not more. I did not want to take the bike home without them having given it a really good test drive!! I didn't know that BRP recommended a 25 mile test drive or I would have insisted on the 25 miles!!! Hope you get it back soon and have no more problems!!

moby
05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Sounds like a loose/faulty electrical connection.
ha bruiser you won!! surging SOLVED!!! it was a hair line crack in the coil.
At least i think he said coil.Picking up sat I'll post exactly what it was. man i'm so glad it wasn't something worst. They took the part out of a stock machine so i didn't have to wait for the part. Service manager admitted that it shouldn't have gone out running like that!! I'm very happy they did there best to make things right!! They also gave me a jacket and back rest for my trouble!!:roflblack: just kidding!!!! No date delivery on my hitch:banghead: hope it's here before americade [ bike week in lake george ny in june ]
UPDATE' picked up sat, yup,cracked coil . runs perfectly. drove home in down pour, no problems. handles amazing on wet roads.I pushed it more than I would on any motorcycle, had to see how well it handled before pulling camper,,truly amazing!!!