PDA

View Full Version : New swaybar....that wasn't much fun

Lamonster
05-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I have yet to find anything easy to work on on this Spyder. Everything is harder than a RS or RT. The bad news is all the 2013 share the same frame so the swaybar is pretty much going to me the same fight on all models. They have it fished in on top of the frame now and it's a real fight to get it out and to get it back in. Good thing I only had to do it once. I now have the RSS bar on my ST :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
05-01-2013, 10:06 AM
So does that mean there is one for the 2013 RT? Please say yes because they really need a beefier one.

Lamonster
05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
So does that mean there is one for the 2013 RT? Please say yes because they really need a beefier one.

Ron is working on one but you may want to make sure that your shocks are up to par first. I know of one guy that had this issue.

SpyderAnn01
05-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Ron is working on one but you may want to make sure that your shocks are up to par first. I know of one guy that had this issue.

What do you mean? How would I know if they are up to par?

Lamonster
05-01-2013, 10:58 AM
What do you mean? How would I know if they are up to par?

The easy way is ride another 2013 and see if it's the same. For the other guy he could tell the difference right away.

bullant12
05-01-2013, 10:59 AM

:dontknow: Us 2013 RT owners inquiring to know...:popcorn:

Chupaca
05-01-2013, 11:20 AM
will make sure to ask the year before mentioning how easy it is. really starting to like my 2012 don't know if the mods makes it handle like a 13 but love it as is...:thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
05-01-2013, 11:40 AM
The easy way is ride another 2013 and see if it's the same. For the other guy he could tell the difference right away.

I'll have to give that a try.

MMMII
05-01-2013, 04:38 PM
I have yet to find anything easy to work on on this Spyder. Everything is harder than a RS or RT. The bad news is all the 2013 share the same frame so the swaybar is pretty much going to me the same fight on all models. They have it fished in on top of the frame now and it's a real fight to get it out and to get it back in. Good thing I only had to do it once. I now have the RSS bar on my ST :thumbup:

Did you do the FOX Shocks too or just the Sway Bar?

Thanks!

retired1
05-01-2013, 05:29 PM
I wonder if BRP checked their demos. I rode an RTS from Vendor Village up to Battlefield and back. I thought it was less stable than my '10 with 2011 shocks on it. JMO:dontknow:

capt.jim
05-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I agree the ST swaybar was a real booger to change, if you don't have a lift you will have to jack the front end up about three feet and finagle it over the frame rail, it's not a 30 minute job.

ThreeWheels
05-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Am I mistaken ?
I thought the upgrades to the 2013 frame/suspension meant you didn't need to modify them?

MrLooney
05-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Lamonster

Can you give everyone a drawing and dimensions (length, width, depth, diameter and hole size) of the stock 2013 Sway Bar verses the Bajaron one you installed?

mjw930
05-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Lamonster

Can you give everyone a drawing and dimensions (length, width, depth, diameter and hole size) of the stock 2013 Sway Bar verses the Bajaron one you installed?

I believe he installed the RSS sway bar. There isn't an aftermarket bar available yet.

Lamonster
05-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I believe he installed the RSS sway bar. There isn't an aftermarket bar available yet.

That's correct. It's the same one BRP sells as a kit with Fox shocks.

The hard part is not so much what you have to take off to get to it but getting the bar out and back in. Even on a lift you have to pull the Spyder all the way forward on the lift so the swaybar can swing in front of the platform. The only easy way to do this would be have an open bottom lift like Harvey has.

Cruzr Joe
05-02-2013, 12:41 PM
That's correct. It's the same one BRP sells as a kit with Fox shocks.

The hard part is not so much what you have to take off to get to it but getting the bar out and back in. Even on a lift you have to pull the Spyder all the way forward on the lift so the swaybar can swing in front of the platform. The only easy way to do this would be have an open bottom lift like Harvey has.

Harvey (spyderpops) has all the cool tools

Cruzr Joe

BajaRon
05-03-2013, 12:54 PM
I am working on the 2013 RT Sway Bar now. What I really need is one more test pilot for the project. I should have the finished product ready to ship in June. As always, I could throw something out there right away and let the customer do the R&D. But haste makes waste (don't I know that!!:yikes:).

The Bar Lamont installed is the stock, BRP bar that goes on the RS-S model. There is no reason for me to make a bar for the RS, ST, ST Ltd. models since BRP already has a good upgrade available. But there is no upgrade for the RT series Spyders from BRP so I will be filling that need soon.

Please email me at fyredad@hotmail.com if you would like to be a test pilot.

The install isn't as easy on the 2013 as it is on the previous RT years (as Lamont said), but it isn't all that much harder. Most of our time was spent figuring out what needed to come off and how to get the sway bar out once we had it loose. If we had to do it again we'd find it easier and quicker. The big thing is getting the front of the Spyder raised up enough so the sway bar can hang almost vertical below the frame. The sway bar is about 2 ft. long.

You start with about 8" of clearance to the frame with the Spyder sitting on the ground so jacking it up about 18" will give the ground clearance needed. Lamont's lift has a center section that runs under the frame and this was the biggest issue we faced. A floor jack will actually work better for this install than a lift (unless it has an open center area like SpyderPops).

SpyderAnn01
05-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Email sent

MMMII
05-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Email sent

Wow, that was fast!

BajaRon
05-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Wow, that was fast!

Good Test Pilots are usually fast.... :thumbup:

bullant12
05-04-2013, 08:44 AM
It was just a matter of time to get the other test pYlot!:thumbup::clap:

BajaRon
05-04-2013, 09:50 AM
At the risk of getting myself in trouble, this is my 1st female test pilot! I'm looking forward to it! :thumbup:

Spydr in KS
05-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Lamont- how's it ryde?

Five-O
05-15-2013, 10:46 PM

Lamonster,

Did you switch out to the Fox shocks? Settings?

Compare the ride to the stock ST-S set up.

kubie
05-17-2013, 09:06 PM
I think Lamonster put Elkas on at SF.....:dontknow::dontknow:

Good Ryding
Kubie

Lamonster,

Did you switch out to the Fox shocks? Settings?

Compare the ride to the stock ST-S set up.

MikeinGA
05-18-2013, 07:39 PM
After reading that the ST handles poorly, think I'll keep my 2011 RS-S for few more years and a highbred. I have a BajaRon anti-sway bar and 2012 RT shocks set at #2 and it handle great and looks great with the black coil springs.

Sny
05-19-2013, 01:10 AM
After reading that the ST handles poorly, think I'll keep my 2011 RS-S for few more years and a highbred. I have a BajaRon anti-sway bar and 2012 RT shocks set at #2 and it handle great and looks great with the black coil springs.
I'm not sure who said the ST handles poorly... Coming from my RS with 2012 shocks and Ron's swaybar, I feel like the STS can be thrown around a lot more aggressively than the older generation RS. It turns in with a much more positive feel.

I have both an RS and the STS so I've done a lot of side by side direct comparisons now.

I do have to say these things are picky about alignment and the steering position sensor has to be exact. Mine was off 0.1 degrees and it felt really strange in left hand sweepers but very positive going right at the same speeds. Reset the steering position sensor via buds and it's much better now. Strange.

My STS has the fox shocks and the BRP swaybar from the RSS suspension upgrade kit as well.

And I want more ;) I always want more... It's a curse.

Five-O
05-19-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure who said the ST handles poorly... Coming from my RS with 2012 shocks and Ron's swaybar, I feel like the STS can be thrown around a lot more aggressively than the older generation RS. It turns in with a much more positive feel.

I have both an RS and the STS so I've done a lot of side by side direct comparisons now.

I do have to say these things are picky about alignment and the steering position sensor has to be exact. Mine was off 0.1 degrees and it felt really strange in left hand sweepers but very positive going right at the same speeds. Reset the steering position sensor via buds and it's much better now. Strange.

My STS has the fox shocks and the BRP swaybar from the RSS suspension upgrade kit as well.

And I want more ;) I always want more... It's a curse.

Has anyone physically compared the stock ST sway bar with the upgrade bar from the RSS?

I'm wondering, that if there is not much difference in the size of the sway bars, that any noticeable
changes in handling are mostly from the Fox gas shocks.

Lamonster
05-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Has anyone physically compared the stock ST sway bar with the upgrade bar from the RSS?

I'm wondering, that if there is not much difference in the size of the sway bars, that any noticeable
changes in handling are mostly from the Fox gas shocks.

2013 sway bars. The RS, ST, ST-S and ST-Ltd. have a 13.55 mm sway bar.

The 2013 RS-S has a 15.85 mm sway bar.

Spydr in KS
05-19-2013, 03:48 PM

Lamont, was the sway bar worth it? Did it improve the already awesome handling?

Bob Denman
05-20-2013, 07:57 AM

That's all that it takes to make a significant difference! :thumbup:

Lamonster
05-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Lamont, was the sway bar worth it? Did it improve the already awesome handling?

To be honest I didn't feel a big change like you did on the 2012 and earlier. I'm hearing you can tell on the 2013 RT's. Now all I did was the swaybar and still have plans to do the shocks. I was waiting to see what Elka comes up with but I may go ahead and try the Fox for now.

rabtech
05-20-2013, 08:44 AM
To be honest I didn't feel a big change like you did on the 2012 and earlier. I'm hearing you can tell on the 2013 RT's. Now all I did was the swaybar and still have plans to do the shocks. I was waiting to see what Elka comes up with but I may go ahead and try the Fox for now.

I have the fox shocks and swaybar on the way. Ill install them on my ST Wednesday night and let you know how much better it is. They just sent me a email confirming that have been shipped. Also installing a Yoshimura slip on.

Spydr in KS
05-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Interesting, thanks for the update. Will be curious to see if the Fox shocks do make the difference others have reported:popcorn:

Five-O
05-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Interesting, thanks for the update. Will be curious to see if the Fox shocks do make the difference others have reported:popcorn:

Given Lamonster's experience, It appears, that at least in the case of the ST, the significant improvement in ride control is coming from the adjustable gas charged shocks up front, whether they Fox or Elka.

Spydr in KS
05-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Given Lamonster's experience, It appears, that at least in the case of the ST, the significant improvement in ride control is coming from the adjustable gas charged shocks up front, whether they Fox or Elka.

Looks cheaper to buy the sway bar and shock kit rather than the Fox shocks separately.

Benggolf
12-31-2013, 01:53 AM
I have the fox shocks and swaybar on the way. Ill install them on my ST Wednesday night and let you know how much better it is. They just sent me a email confirming that have been shipped. Also installing a Yoshimura slip on.

Oh my...what ever happen to the fox shocks and swaybar installation rabtech?
Been looking forward to the results of this mod. ;)

SNOOPY
12-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Oh my...what ever happen to the fox shocks and swaybar installation rabtech?
Been looking forward to the results of this mod. ;)

He had his bike for sale last I saw, don't recall if he ever said he installed the parts.

I put the Ronbar on my ST-S and it made a marked improvement.

BajaRon
12-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Rabtech did do the BRP Shock/Sway bar upgrade. His experience was the same as others that have done this upgrade. The Fox shocks are a big improvement, the sway bar makes so little difference it's hard to tell.

He ended up putting one of my sway bars on and was thrilled with the overall improvement.

I thought he posted this somewhere here, but I couldn't find it.

Benggolf
02-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Rabtech did do the BRP Shock/Sway bar upgrade. His experience was the same as others that have done this upgrade. The Fox shocks are a big improvement, the sway bar makes so little difference it's hard to tell.

He ended up putting one of my sway bars on and was thrilled with the overall improvement.

I thought he posted this somewhere here, but I couldn't find it.

Ahh, good to know. Am about to have the Fox shocks, RonBar and heim links installed tomorrow at the dealership and was wondering about the front sway bar that came with the Fox shocks. Now I will put the BRP swaybar up for sale. Any takers/offers? :D

SNOOPY
02-04-2014, 05:58 AM
Ahh, good to know. Am about to have the Fox shocks, RonBar and heim links installed tomorrow at the dealership and was wondering about the front sway bar that came with the Fox shocks. Now I will put the BRP swaybar up for sale. Any takers/offers? :D

Copycat roflmao

I ended w the same set up, unfortunately our weather has sucked since so no test drive w the Fox shocks yet. The Ronbar is a nice noticeable difference though.

Benggolf
02-09-2014, 07:14 PM
I had the RonBar installed in our RT and stayed with the OEM shock absorbers. It reduced the body roll considerably but the difference is not as dramatic as having the RonBar and the Fox shocks on the STS.

The transformation is quite amazing. Not only does it track like it were on rails, the STS now feels solid and sails to railroad tracks and road undulations so smoothly like a limo!

I had my tire pressures set to 20PSI front and 28PSI in the rear. Snoopy you have to try it....you will be amazed. :yikes:

Also, the dealer did perform Service Bulletin #2013-9; ECM Software Update and replacement of UpperBelt Guard retaining screws.
Nothing mentioned about resealing of the Front Fuse Boxes and new Fuse Box Covers. Probably they didn't have the parts on hand.