PDA

View Full Version : HID Lights & Battery Drainage

rolinfaz
05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
For those who have installed hids, is it true that after installing hid kits our spyders inherit battery drainage? I did find one thead in which this has happen and he was told this by the dealer this is what happens when you install hids. In my experience (and I have installed many) on cars and motorcycles and I have never had any problems. At some point I would like to install hids. They last way longer than the standard halogen not to mention more clean light. Thx!

pro10is
05-01-2013, 09:33 AM
With the BRP HID kit there is no more drain on the battery during use than with the standard halogens. In fact HID's use less power to create more light. In the case of an an aftermarket HID kit if it were properly designed and installed there should be no issues either. Power to the HID's is disconnected when the ignition switch is off (unless pressing the momentary headlight flash switch). So there is no parasitic drain on the battery when the lights are not in use.

rolinfaz
05-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Thanks! That has been my position for years when installing hid kits. They use way less power than halogen bulbs (and no power while the vehicle is off) so I couldnt understand why it would drain the battery and if in fact it did why would the battery not charge up while the vehicle is running??? Good information. Not certain of what dealer told that information to one of our members. Good day to all! Thx!

muonwhiz
05-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I have the xenon lights and fogs and have never had a problem with it (so far).

bscrive
05-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Same here. I put Xenon headlights on last winter and the wife's bike sat quite a while afterwards and the battery never went dead.