PDA

View Full Version : Best Online Oil Filter place, what oil is everyone using?

matusky
05-20-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm looking for the best place to get an oil filter as nobody in my area carries it, believe me I tried...... even the local honda/yamaha dealer (very big service dept. too) couldn't find a part number they were sure of......

Would also love to know what oil everyone is using.

Thanks!

Danimal
05-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Ken at www.evoluzione.net has them.....

They run around $16.....

They are hard to come by right now.

SpyderMark
05-21-2008, 08:17 AM

There are a number of threads both here at Spyderlovers and at Spydertalk.com regarding oil. Try a search for "oil" and see what pops up.

I use Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40. Meets all Can-am specifications and can be had at your local Wally-world for around $15-17 per gallon.

Let the oil wars begin again!

Regards,

Mark

matusky
05-21-2008, 11:02 AM
There are a number of threads both here at Spyderlovers and at Spydertalk.com regarding oil. Try a search for "oil" and see what pops up.

I use Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40. Meets all Can-am specifications and can be had at your local Wally-world for around $15-17 per gallon.

Let the oil wars begin again!

Regards,

Mark

Correct me if I'm wrong..... but I have an 07' Ford F350 with the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel...... and THAT's the oil that it takes...... you're saying that the spyder takes the same oil as my diesel pickup??

SpyderMark
05-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong..... but I have an 07' Ford F350 with the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel...... and THAT's the oil that it takes...... you're saying that the spyder takes the same oil as my diesel pickup??

From the Spyder Operator's Guide pg 77:

--- QUOTE ---
Use BRP XP-S 5W40 synthetic oil (P/N 293 600 039) or an equivalent motorcycle oil meeting the requirements for API service SL, SJ, SH or SG classification. Always check the API service label on the oil container.

NOTICE: To avoid damaging the clutch, do not use a motor oil meeting the API service SM or ILSAC GF-4 classification. Clutch slippage will occur.
--- QUOTE ---

Take a look at the label on your Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 -- it meets or exceeds all these requirements... for a fraction of the cost of BRP branded oil.

If you follow the recommended oil change interval of 3,000 miles you could PROBABLY get away with using just about ANY oil, but you SHOULD use an oil that AT LEAST meets BRP specs. Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 does.

The oils that meet API service SM or ILSAC GF-4 classification you are warned to avoid may contain so called "friction modifiers" intended to reduce friction on internal engine parts and improve fuel mileage. Because the same oil that lubricates your Spyder's engine lubricates the transmission, these friction modifiers MAY interfere with clutch operation.

I've been told Shell has released a version of Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 that meets API service class SM, so be sure to check the label before you purchase and pour.

Take a look at this site:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Regards,

Mark

garganos
05-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm looking for the best place to get an oil filter as nobody in my area carries it, believe me I tried...... even the local honda/yamaha dealer (very big service dept. too) couldn't find a part number they were sure of......

Thanks!

Your local Spyder dealer should have them. The PN is 420956745. I would be surprised if your dealer does not have it.

Danimal
05-21-2008, 09:00 PM
garganos ..... unfortunatly most dealers do not have the filters yet.... this has been a major topic of conversation both here and over at can-amtalk.com.

Crazy isnt it !

Heckl... I had to sell one of mine to Scotty so he could get his oil changed... because our dealer still didn't have them.... I've still got 4 here..... just in case... not to mention I 'll be doing the next oil change myself.

spiderrider
06-04-2008, 08:45 PM
From the Spyder Operator's Guide pg 77:

--- QUOTE ---
Use BRP XP-S 5W40 synthetic oil (P/N 293 600 039) or an equivalent motorcycle oil meeting the requirements for API service SL, SJ, SH or SG classification. Always check the API service label on the oil container.

NOTICE: To avoid damaging the clutch, do not use a motor oil meeting the API service SM or ILSAC GF-4 classification. Clutch slippage will occur.
--- QUOTE ---

Take a look at the label on your Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 -- it meets or exceeds all these requirements... for a fraction of the cost of BRP branded oil.

If you follow the recommended oil change interval of 3,000 miles you could PROBABLY get away with using just about ANY oil, but you SHOULD use an oil that AT LEAST meets BRP specs. Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 does.

The oils that meet API service SM or ILSAC GF-4 classification you are warned to avoid may contain so called "friction modifiers" intended to reduce friction on internal engine parts and improve fuel mileage. Because the same oil that lubricates your Spyder's engine lubricates the transmission, these friction modifiers MAY interfere with clutch operation.

I've been told Shell has released a version of Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 that meets API service class SM, so be sure to check the label before you purchase and pour.

Take a look at this site:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Regards,

Mark

I've been using Rotella T for a couple of thousand miles now and so far no problems. I wrote Shell and asked them about the Rotella T in the blue jugs and the newer Rotella T in the white jugs. I wanted to know if either have modifiers added and they assured me that there weren't any in the old bottle jugs or the new white jugs.
What color are the jugs that your oil comes in?

SpyderMark
06-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I've been using Rotella T for a couple of thousand miles now and so far no problems. I wrote Shell and asked them about the Rotella T in the blue jugs and the newer Rotella T in the white jugs. I wanted to know if either have modifiers added and they assured me that there weren't any in the old bottle jugs or the new white jugs. What color are the jugs that your oil comes in?

My understanding is Shell's Rotella T Synthetic in the white jugs meets the newer SM service specification by reducing a special Zinc anti-wear additive. The EPA mandates smog equipment must function for 100k miles. One of the primary anti-wear additives, Zinc dialkyl dithio phosphate or ZDDP, damages catalytic converters. To ensure their catalytic converters can last the EPA-mandated 100k miles, the auto industry reportedly requested that API and ILSAC (another lubricant standard) lower phophorus limits in their engine oil standards.

Most high-mileage oils are not API SM compliant because of they contain higher amounts of ZDDP to reduce internal engine wear. Older diesel CI-4 oils do not have the same ZDDP limits as automotive oils, but the newer CJ-4 diesel oils do, so oils dual-labeled as CJ-4/CI-4 probably do not contain the higher levels of ZDDP contained in oils rated SL or older.

What we don't know FOR SURE is if BRP, by restricting the use of API SM-rated oils, is trying to avoid so-called "friction modifiers" that might interfere with clutch operation, or if it wants you to use an older-specification oil (SL) that contains higher levels of ZDDP anti-wear additive.

Since only clutch operation is mentioned in the caution, my GUESS is the Shell Rotella T Synthetic that comes in either the white or blue bottle is fine for our use (since neither contain the friction-modifiers that could interfere with your clutch). I would caution anyone who wishes to use an SM-rated oil in their machine against BRP recommendations do their OWN research to satisfy yourself you are not damaging your engine.

Personally, I'm gonna stick with the older standard because I LIKE the idea of higher levels of the anti-wear additive -- and since I'm running a Micron can I don't have a catalytic converter! ;D

Regards,

Mark