PDA

View Full Version : Bumpskid....is it needed?

diesel-dawg
04-30-2013, 08:47 PM
How many of you actually have a bumpskid installed? If so, why did you do it? Is the bumpskid really effective?

Kungfuspyder
04-30-2013, 08:50 PM
How many of you actually have a bumpskid installed? If so, why did you do it? Is the bumpskid really effective?

i got one, and yes it is very effective when you come upon something you can't avoid like an animal carcass.

DR Buck
04-30-2013, 08:58 PM

I cringe when I think what the damage to the bottom front of my Spyder would look like if I didn't have it when I hit that speed bump last Saturday. :yikes: And that wasn't the first one that sent me airborne. :gaah:

ABQAndy
04-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Also saves your front end if you accidentally bump a curb stop.

bzbaeren
04-30-2013, 09:04 PM
All of what they said I agree with glad I put it on and easy to do;)

NancysToy
04-30-2013, 09:06 PM
I added mine for looks...but I have since tested it several times with bumps and scrapes. Very useful, looks good, easy to install, and a good value...what's not to like?

ThreeWheels
04-30-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm considering it.
When I put the RonBar on, I had my first good look at the underside of the frunk.
There is a plastic bump skid installed by the factory.
It was very much worse for wear.

JCSMOKE
04-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Many have seen better gas milage too.

gnirtsnod
04-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Also saves your front end if you accidentally bump a curb stop.

Yep, my heart sank last Saturday when I pulled into a fast food restaurant and bumped a curb with the tip of my frunk. Small bump that scraped paint off the lower nose that would have otherwise been protected by a skid plate. ...Gnirtsnod

samewok
04-30-2013, 09:40 PM
It helps protect the under side of the Spyder.

RAYYOU
04-30-2013, 10:08 PM
We purchased and installed the possum pusher on our 2010 RT to prevent damage to the nose from curbs and other objects that it might come in contact with, including the pesky critters that like to run out in front of us. Beside it just looks good.

ABQAndy
04-30-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm considering it.
When I put the RonBar on, I had my first good look at the underside of the frunk.
There is a plastic bump skid installed by the factory.
It was very much worse for wear.

The factory skid plate is a thin piece of plastic, really a joke if you ask me !!

Macca
04-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Absolutely necessary!

JkRbbt
04-30-2013, 10:50 PM
The factory plate is a piece of plastic. The bumpskid is a piece of PLASTIC!!!! Heavy, non flexible. The first after market piece that went on my bike. :thumbup:

witty
04-30-2013, 11:24 PM
I had one put on at Spyderfest and very Happy with it.:clap:HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Chupaca
04-30-2013, 11:30 PM
well no not needed..but I'll tell you when I installed mine the front air dam was badly scraped and the factory plate was all beat up. Now that it is in and covering the whole area you can see why it's called a "skid" and overhanging the air dam part is the "bump" but it also has some air deflectors that help with cooling...all in all it's a good investment aside from looking good....:thumbup:

Blue Star
04-30-2013, 11:52 PM

I installed mine at about 700 miles, and from the scrapes I saw with such low miles I am glad I put it on. I have a dip in the road that is really bad, and scrape bottom almost every time unless I go over it at an angle. Something I can't do if another vehicle is in the way. I figure better the bumpskid than the bottom of my bike.

SilverSurfer
05-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Within one week, I improved handling and mpg on my RT:

Bump-Skid (critter splitter) - In addition to protecting the front underside of the nose, the unit seals a big cavity from the front to the rear of the front, stopping just in front of the suspension, a space subject to air drag under the Spyder. Gone. Less 'sail' from the faring. It also amplifies some down pressure on the front of the Spyder when at highway speed ... stability. Better aerodynamics = better mpg.

BajaRon's Sway Bar. Installed along with Bump-Skid. Combine this with my front Elkas Shocks ... The Spyder is on rails.

BRP Can/Am Spyder Sport Touring Vented Windscreen - reduced windsreen profile by 2" vertically and 3" horizontally. Less wind resistance and less buffeting. Helps highway mpg

Regarding mpg, the Spyder is always (and affectionately) a gas junkie when moving around streets and neighborhoods. The combination of the bumpskid and sport touring vented windscreen have my highway mpg up to 34/35 mpg solidly, riding one-up at 199 pounds without cargo. Mpg on the Spyder is strongly affected by passenger weight, two-up/one-up, trailer/cargo weight and other variables. The aerodynamic, and modest fuel economy improvements offered by the Bump-Skid and windscreen modifications, in my opinion, are most optimal at highway speeds (50 mph and over). Otherwise, the greatest influence on Spyder mpg is rider/passenger weight and cargo.

Lin
05-01-2013, 06:07 AM
I feel it is inexpensive insurance. Riding in New England, I encounter frost heaves on many back country roads. Hitting one a few weeks after first getting my RT put a lump in my throat thinking about the damage just done. I got lucky that time, but I wasn't willing to continue the gamble. Spyderpops BumpSkid installed!

diesel-dawg
05-01-2013, 06:57 AM
thanks guys for the input....very informative. Needless to say, I am ordering the bumpskid.

JCSMOKE
05-01-2013, 07:05 AM
:2thumbs: Good call

Bob Denman
05-01-2013, 02:22 PM
PitBull's shock relocator brackets and SpyderPop's Bumpskid are the next two items on my "Gottahave" list. :thumbup:

diesel-dawg
05-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Bumpskid is already in the mail, so says the vendor. Thanks for the good info.

Mrogers102
05-01-2013, 06:23 PM
I had one installed at spyder fest works great.

Netminder
05-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Can not add much more then was said above! :thumbup:This is one of the very first mods I did!:clap:

zbunker
05-02-2013, 10:51 PM
thanks guys for the input....very informative. Needless to say, I am ordering the bumpskid.

Hi,
May I ask where you are purchasing the bumpskid? I look at the vendors on the site and unless I missed it, do not see anyone who sells them. Thanks Ron

diesel-dawg
05-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Hi,
May I ask where you are purchasing the bumpskid? I look at the vendors on the site and unless I missed it, do not see anyone who sells them. Thanks Ron
spyderpops.com is the place. They had it in shipment almost immediately after placing the order.

prmurat
05-03-2013, 12:05 AM
What about aquaplaning?? I am afraid this big flat plastic piece will act as a surf board on any puddle!
I'd love to have a metal plate under the engine.

DR Buck
05-03-2013, 05:16 AM
What about aquaplaning?? I am afraid this big flat plastic piece will act as a surf board on any puddle!

I haven't had any surfboarding. The frame is under the engine. Don't think metal will do anything for you other than add excess weight.

jthornton
05-03-2013, 06:16 AM

If your driving at speed in 6" of water you will have other things to worry about instead of hanging 10.

JT

NancysToy
05-03-2013, 07:26 AM
If your driving at speed in 6" of water you will have other things to worry about instead of hanging 10.

JT

Amen, brother, amen!

bullant12
05-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Did anyone in Spyderfest take a picture of the OEM plates that Spyderpop removed before installing the Bumpskid Plate? Some of them made me wonder how the :spyder2: still had a front end!:yikes:

fyrertuck
05-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Yes I have one and it save my Spyder's front end. :thumbup: You will love the plate

diesel-dawg
05-03-2013, 01:50 PM
got my bumpskid delivered today. spyderpops.com surely is on top of his game. Great service on this order.

bzbaeren
05-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I wasn't sure if it was needed but bought one and when I installed it and when I saw the condition of the factory skidplate realized that it was a very good and wise investment.

donnellpj
05-03-2013, 02:49 PM
It was the first mod I put on the bike.

I have used it, it works, and I would do it all over again,... and it looks great to boot!

The thing is, the skid can be replaced if it gets damaged too badly, the nose of your bike is a little different.

BajaRon
05-03-2013, 08:41 PM
I don't know that the Bump Skid is necessary if you mean you can't live without it. But I can say for sure that you're much better off with it installed. It's more than just a piece of plastic. It is well thought out, looks good and is very functional.

It is the 1st piece of your Spyder to hit an obstruction (be it something at speed on the freeway or a wheel stop in a parking lot). Without the Bump Skid installed, a nicely painted, expensive part of your Spyder will take the hit.

The Bump Skid is well worth the money. Highly recommended! :thumbup:

Squadcarman
05-03-2013, 09:21 PM
I hit one of those highway alligators with mine. I'm sure I would have had a lot of damage without it. It helped my rt slide over the tire chunk and keep control.

Squadcarman
05-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Works better than auto correct:banghead:

soaring hawk
05-03-2013, 10:19 PM
I had one put on spyder fest last year, well on the way home foggy rainy didn't see a dead armadillo when thump crunch we ran it over , bump skid paid for itself in 5 miles after spyder fest 2012. Saved the frunk ! It's worth every penny! :2thumbs:

Gary

Cruzr Joe
05-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Well i think you get the picture here................ Get a Bumpskid. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

flybuddy
05-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Within one week, I improved handling and mpg on my RT:

Bump-Skid (critter splitter) - In addition to protecting the front underside of the nose, the unit seals a big cavity from the front to the rear of the front, stopping just in front of the suspension, a space subject to air drag under the Spyder. Gone. Less 'sail' from the faring. It also amplifies some down pressure on the front of the Spyder when at highway speed ... stability. Better aerodynamics = better mpg.

BajaRon's Sway Bar. Installed along with Bump-Skid. Combine this with my front Elkas Shocks ... The Spyder is on rails.

BRP Can/Am Spyder Sport Touring Vented Windscreen - reduced windsreen profile by 2" vertically and 3" horizontally. Less wind resistance and less buffeting. Helps highway mpg

Regarding mpg, the Spyder is always (and affectionately) a gas junkie when moving around streets and neighborhoods. The combination of the bumpskid and sport touring vented windscreen have my highway mpg up to 34/35 mpg solidly, riding one-up at 199 pounds without cargo. Mpg on the Spyder is strongly affected by passenger weight, two-up/one-up, trailer/cargo weight and other variables. The aerodynamic, and modest fuel economy improvements offered by the Bump-Skid and windscreen modifications, in my opinion, are most optimal at highway speeds (50 mph and over). Otherwise, the greatest influence on Spyder mpg is rider/passenger weight and cargo.

I've put most every mod I could and I've been resistant on the bumpskid because with the Elkas and shock relo kit I'm sitting pretty high. This is the first post I've seen espousing aerodynamic benefits. I noticed you put the sway bar on at same time. Do you think that had more to do with handling improvements?? I've got everything else you have including sway bar and sport windscreen. You definitely have me reconsidering this, thx

BajaRon
05-04-2013, 09:42 AM

Short of this.... You should be fine. :thumbup:

http://seandavey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Raimana_1.jpg

diesel-dawg
05-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I just completed the install of the bumpskid on my new RT LTD. Great piece of work by Spyderpops.com ... The screws sent for the installation work fine for the front, but were too short for the rear installation, as you need some grip to be able to mold it a little. I went and bought 4 each #6 metric screws, somewhat longer than was included by Spyderpops. Other than the screws, it was to my liking; I think it will do the job! To avoid damaging the edge of the skid, it seems like a hardened rubber rim would be an additional thing that should be designed into the bumpskid.

Bob Denman
05-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Short of this.... You should be fine. :thumbup:

http://seandavey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Raimana_1.jpg

Nice picture, Ron! :thumbup:
Oh! I got to looking at my OEM plate while I was crawling around inside the front end with a RonBar in my teeth... :shocked:
That sucker is already pounded into oblivion! :yikes:
The BumpSkid is real high on my list for sure!

JsSpy
05-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Nothing was cheap at SpyderFest. :P But had to get the BumpSkid from Pops. I was a wus and trailered my bike up/back from TX.

I had it strapped down on the open trailer. On the way back, I noticed in the mirror that the front straps were 'slack'! I pulled over and sure enough, the rear strap had broken and the bike had moved forward, going into the front rail/wall. Needless to say, there's a small ding/notch in the BS now BUT no crack or damage to the front plastic or frunk!

Was obviously worth the $. Have been busy since being back so haven't ridden enough to warrant comment on performance of it, but it surely can't hurt! :)

J / Roof Man

NancysToy
05-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Nothing was cheap at SpyderFest. :P But had to get the BumpSkid from Pops. I was a wus and trailered my bike up/back from TX.

I had it strapped down on the open trailer. On the way back, I noticed in the mirror that the front straps were 'slack'! I pulled over and sure enough, the rear strap had broken and the bike had moved forward, going into the front rail/wall. Needless to say, there's a small ding/notch in the BS now BUT no crack or damage to the front plastic or frunk!

Was obviously worth the $. Have been busy since being back so haven't ridden enough to warrant comment on performance of it, but it surely can't hurt! :)

J / Roof Man
Having towed more bikes than I can count, over more miles than I can count, I can only say one thing...

"Double up on the tie-down straps...always!"

Straps break, move, or can snap in a collision. Two sets of straps is much cheaper than repairing your ride. I learned that the hard way, a long time ago.

jansboy
06-06-2013, 11:34 PM
I installed the Bumpskid today, I was surprised how much the bottom was scapped in only 800 miles. It was an easy installation.
I did remove the ribs along the edges so the plate fits better.
it looks good and I think it will improve fuel mileage. On just a short test after installation it feel solid in the front.

dshogman
06-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Is it necessary to lift the front end to install the bumpskid?

diesel-dawg
06-07-2013, 10:44 AM

Yes, it was necessary for me, since the front end is so low. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a set of their metal tire ramps for about $40. Simply drive each front tire up on them and set the parking brake. Ready to install the bumpskid...

Cruzr Joe
06-07-2013, 10:52 AM

Not if you can fit under the front end of the Spyder. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Sorry, the wise guy in me slipped out.

Cruzr Joe

mcaccamise
06-07-2013, 12:44 PM
I can see the usefulness of the bumpskid just wish the RSS skid looked as good as the RTS
Mine is still in pristine shape no scrapes so i just added the door molded corner edging that pushes on the lower tupperware as a bump and scrape deturant maybe one day ill need one.
Mike

TexGEOas
06-07-2013, 12:57 PM

I bottomed out big time on a narrow asphalt road where trucks had created tire grooves which left a high peak of asphalt in the center of my lane. With oncoming traffic, I could not swerve around it. It was a huge hit... knocking open both my side compartments and tearing up the flimsy original skid plate.

I immediately installed a Bumpskid (easy project) and feel much better protected for the future. Bumpskid is wider, deeper and thicker. Don't want another bottom out or hazard hit... but I feel much better prepared.

It should be original equipment in my humble opinion!

George
Argyle, TX
2012 RT SE5

MMMII
06-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Is there going to be one for the ST series?

JKMSPYDER
06-07-2013, 01:54 PM
I installed one on my ST-S and it fits great and looks good. It was my first farkle.

AWEInCA
06-20-2013, 04:25 PM
I just ordered mine along with the belt guard for my ST. Shipping seems a little high, but I just might be spoiled by Amazon Prime.

bluestratos
06-21-2013, 09:32 AM
I just completed a 2000 mile return ride. I hit a small gopher in Calfornia, cut the little guy in half and mounted it self in the intake air vent at the front end, RT 1, gopher 0. I also hit a bad depression in the road at 50, through bike in the air but no damage to the RT. I pulled into a greasy spoon that had over sized wood wheel stops and cut out a piece of wood about 6" across, 1" deep and 2" deep, again no damage to the bike. The underside of bumpskid has only a slight scuff at the point when viewed from below.

DLewis
06-21-2013, 10:04 AM
IMHO,....... better to have it and not need it, than the other way around!:gaah:

juliantrost
06-21-2013, 10:44 PM
IMHO,....... better to have it and not need it, than the other way around!:gaah:

:agree: 100%. Will be purchasing it as my next addition. Oh boy, I have to stop reading these posts in the middle of the night :banghead:

pacog1943
06-21-2013, 10:50 PM
I had one installed at spyder fest works great.

I was told never ryde without 'protection'. Bump-skid is the best investment I have made to protect my rig. Enjoy your ryde. Paco:doorag::yes:

North Idaho Rider
06-24-2013, 01:42 PM
How do they do that:dontknow: Read all the positive post on having BUMPSKID protection and decided to order one. Pressed enter on the computer to pay on pay-pal and turned around and the post man was at the door. Super service.:thumbup:

bullant12
06-24-2013, 01:45 PM
How do they do that:dontknow: Read all the positive post on having BUMPSKID protection and decided to order one. Pressed enter on the computer to pay on pay-pal and turned around and the post man was at the door. Super service.:thumbup:

Didn't they tell you? Harvey has a Postman brother in Northern Idaho!:roflblack:

North Idaho Rider
06-24-2013, 02:28 PM
That must be why he had a US Mail Sticker on his 622 trailer. Post Office finally got a good delivery vehicle.:clap:

jmcbow
06-24-2013, 08:19 PM

I was riding down to Maggie Valley from Chicago when I crossed into Tennessee, suddenly traffic slowed down and began to bunch up. I suddenly realized why, an 18 wheeler had shredded a retread and spit it all over the road. Without anytime to react, I hit a large piece of retread laying cross wise in the road. The sound of the debris hitting the front of the Spdyer is one I'll never forget. Fortunately, when I pulled over and looked there was no damage. Had it not been for the fact that traffic had slowed way down I don't know that I would have been so lucky. I've never even come close to hitting anything before on the RT, but this happened so fast there was nothing I could do but grit my teeth. I had a bump skid installed on Thursday and rode home after the rally feeling much better about having it on my Spyder. It doesn't look bad either.

Yodan
06-24-2013, 09:37 PM
I had spyderpops install the bump skid at the Maggie Valley event a week ago. It has already saved additional damage to the front of the spyder.

Jim&Teresa
06-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Hello spyderlover friends...

I have just added (for peace of mind if I hit something) the bumpskid to my 2012 Spyder RT Limited modifications.....

The install directions were perfect. I took my time and it took about 2 hours. I used ramps for the front end to raise it for easier install. Looks great....however, due to weather, have not drove it much....we had a 1200 mile trip coming up soon and will see if it makes any difference in handling, MPG, etc.

Due to the low clearance of the machine, I thought it would be a good investment to prevent more expensive damage if I hit a critter or ??? in the road.

Jim&Teresa
06-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Hello spyderlover friends...

I have just added (for peace of mind if I hit something) the bumpskid to my 2012 Spyder RT Limited modifications.....

The install directions were perfect. I took my time and it took about 2 hours. I used ramps for the front end to raise it for easier install. Looks great....however, due to weather, have not drove it much....we have a 1200 mile trip coming up soon and will see if it makes any difference in handling, MPG, etc.

Due to the low clearance of the machine, I thought it would be a good investment to prevent more expensive damage if I hit a critter or ??? in the road.

Other mods I've done are:
RT LED High Mount Brake Light with dual converter
Bluetooth transmitter and headsets
NBV highway peg kit with Widow Pegs
Netting in all storage compartment covers
Radiator Exhaust block-off plate, screened lower bottom plate

robhowen
04-28-2015, 09:40 AM
I can't answer if "it's needed". I can say that it is very durable and appears to provide significant protection. I have not hit anything with it yet so I can't swear to it's performance, but there is much more there than the very small and thin factory skid plate. The installation instructions were very good and it was an easy installation. At this point I'm glad that I did it and will likely get one for our F3 as well as it is lower than my RT-LTD.

Rob

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-28-2015, 09:59 AM
mine goes on next weekend with led

nakerr
04-28-2015, 10:30 AM
I had my dealer install mine when I picked up the machine. Works great.

Justacruisin
04-28-2015, 12:27 PM
"Do Not Leave Home Without It"
Bumpskid

;)

While installing, Be sure to add the BajaRon Sway Bar.:bowdown:

ARtraveler
04-28-2015, 12:33 PM
Do I need it--not sure? Did I buy one--yes I did. Had my dealer install it. The LED's across the front of the :spyder2: light it up like a Christmas tree. I like lots of lights, and the Bumpskid fills the bill nicely.

Now, akspyderlady wants one for her :ani29:. Every time we go for a ride, she now comments, "I sure like those new lights, wish I had that on my :spyder2:."

Bob Denman
04-28-2015, 12:46 PM
I ordered one just over an hour ago... lights and all! :2thumbs:
The Missus said "Yes!" :yes::ohyea::yes:

opiewhan
04-28-2015, 12:57 PM

With the bumpskid adding an extra 2 inches of overhang we will say, it adds a spoiler affect and gives ME added downforce, and on windy days i'll take any added traction i can get, not to mention its purpose as a skidplate ..I recommend it...:ohyea::ohyea:

ARtraveler
04-28-2015, 01:02 PM
I ordered one just over an hour ago... lights and all! :2thumbs:
The Missus said "Yes!" :yes::ohyea::yes:

Gotcha, Huh? After posting about Linda and her desire to have one on the 2011, I found myself going to the site and checking out the price for one to fit hers. Alllllllllllllllmmmmmmmmmmmmmoooooossssssssssssstt ttttt hit the buy button. It won't be long I am thinking. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
04-28-2015, 01:07 PM
:D Go for it!! :2thumbs:
If your potholes are as bad as ours (I bet that they are!), your Spyder will thank you for it! :clap: