PDA

View Full Version : HOPE I DIDN'T MESS UP

JKMSPYDER
04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Long story short, I thought I had an oil leak in my ST-S. Saw a few drops on garage floor and when I removed bottom plastic pan, it had some oil in it. So I ran the engine about 5 minutes in the garage to get the oil up to temp and then checked it. (It was pouring rain, so I ran it in the garage rather than taking it for a spin.) Shut down the engine and checked the oil. It was at the add mark. So I added about 4 ozs. Rather than running the engine again, I took it out today for a 20 mile ride, came back to the garage and checked the oil. It was 1/2" above the full line. Doh!! :yikes: So I siphoned several oz. out of the tank and rechecked. Oil is now at full level. Did I hurt anything??? Oh, after all this, I pulled the bottom pan, and clean as a whistle. I think the Spyder is playing with my head!!:banghead:

I called the dealer about this quandry, and he suggested that when my 600 mile oil change was done, they may have spilled some oil and it collected on the bottom pan. Makes sense, but I will keep a close eye on this.

NancysToy
04-29-2013, 08:20 PM
You didn't hurt anything. About the worst thing that can happen with a bit too much oil is blow-by to the airbox. Always check the Spyder oil level at full operating temperature. This is not just running the water temp gauge up to the norm...the oil and metal need to be hot. Best to do it after a ride. Also be sure to screw in the dipstick when checking. I agree that the oil in the splash pan was leftover drain oil from the oil change.

JKMSPYDER
04-29-2013, 08:40 PM
​Thanks Scotty. I sure didn't want to screw up anything.