PDA

View Full Version : seat mod access to fuel cap

jarhd3
05-20-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm currently making a mock-up seat that is going to give access to the fuel cap/fill w/o having to have to lift the seat.i'm working w/a local seat upholsterer to make a cutout over the fuel access area and then making a suitable/stylish leather cover/naugh. flap that covers the said area.Tired of having to lift the seat every time to fuel up especially when the bags and rear trunk are on.The cutout area will be small and exact to fit w/ the flap cover over both sides of the seat so as to match l&r.Anyone have the same thought/frustration? Just like to zip in and fill and go!Give me a few weeks.Made the plastic mock up already w/the cut out over the fuel cap.There's some great minds on this site, would welcome suggestions.Good idea?Bad Idea?

bjt
05-20-2008, 06:22 AM
I'm interested. Sounds like a good idea. I never really considered modifying the seat to provide gas cap access but I have lamented on the inconvenience of having to raise the seat for fueling, especially with bags on it. :bigthumbsup:

LittleJohn
05-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Its a good idea!
Keep in mind that (and this is my opinion and thoughts on the matter, nothing more) the reason BRP did this (I think) is to provide "locking" capability for the gas tank. Right now, it requires you to unlock the seat to access the gas. Other bikes have locking caps, or a door covering the cap that has a lock on it. f possible gas theft or tampering is not an issue for you, then this has the makings of a very good idea!

Cant wait to see it

spyderrider44
05-20-2008, 01:46 PM
[size=20pt] I have a 2001 HD Softail and i just tried the gas cap off the Harley and it fit the Spyder fine. A person could buy a locking Harley gas cap and use it in the cut out ,Just an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpyderByte
05-20-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm interested. Sounds like a good idea. I never really considered modifying the seat to provide gas cap access but I have lamented on the inconvenience of having to raise the seat for fueling, especially with bags on it. :bigthumbsup:

I, too, am frustrated with having to raise the seat while being packed up. I do like the idea of the gas cap being protected against siphoning, etc. I was thinking more along the lines of a two-piece seat so that only the front raises, but not the back (for fueling). But the rear seat needs should be easily removable if needed. BMW has the seat thing down!!!

LittleJohn
05-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I, too, am frustrated with having to raise the seat while being packed up. I do like the idea of the gas cap being protected against siphoning, etc. I was thinking more along the lines of a two-piece seat so that only the front raises, but not the back (for fueling). But the rear seat needs should be easily removable if needed. BMW has the seat thing down!!!

This is exactly what Corbin is working on I believe.