PDA

View Full Version : My Shorai Battery

bluestratos
04-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Well I received my replacement battery from Shorai on Friday (540CCA and that same day I ran into a Ballistic battery rep that explained that the both the Ballistic and the Shorai are not necessarily user friendly (same technology). When the battery has been sitting overnight then yoiu try to start the bike it will only deliver a fraction of its rated CCA. It may take several restarts to warm the battery up enough to put out the extra Zap needed to start the bike. I was not aware of this as no where in Shorai's instruction does it mention this. I think the 36 with its 540CCA rating is a good fit to the bike as it did start the bike almost every time while cold albeit very slowly. On 2 occasions it did not start but always started on the second try. This is opposite to lead acid batteries as they put out the best CCA on the first attempt but less on each subsequent attempt there after.

I know some electrical devices hate a low voltage start and it leads to failure, would slow or no start be hard on the Spyder starter?

boborgera
04-29-2013, 09:51 AM
The only thing i know about electrics is, If you stick a fork in a wall socket, You'll ruin the fork.
But i would think low voltage to the starter every time you start, Can't be good, Sought of like when the electric grid gos to a brown out, That tends to shorten the life of motors.. ie, refrigerators, air conditioners, and some TVs. :dontknow:

Chupaca
04-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Have mentioned before that the battery guys around here do not recommend those batteries for big twins. Work well on sport bikes and atv's. There is a model that does but run allot more than the shorai..I'll stick with yuasa which has been good to me in all my bikes..!! jmo :dontknow:

bluestratos
04-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Well I plan to install the replacement and hope to have similar results. I had hoped it would have enough reserve cranking amps in case I happened to spend more than I make from the charging system.