PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

Flanker
04-29-2013, 05:55 AM
I see my owners manual says I need to use new oil tank and engine drain plug washers, as well as the oil filter cover O ring. You other DIYers, doing that, or just reusing the ones on there? Cripes! I still can't believe they didn't put a screw on filter on the engine; I haven't had a cartridge filter like this since I owned my 1980 GS1100! :wrong:

NancysToy
04-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Many people reuse them. If you do, be sure to inspect them carefully before reuse, and replace the copper washers periodically anyway. They work harden and compress with repeated use. Also be sure to use a torque wrench. Nothing sticks harder than a plug that is overtorqued with a previously compressed washer. The bottom line here is that they are pretty cheap, and new ones assure a leak-free change and lessen then chances of a stuck plug next time (if properly torqued).

SPYD1
04-29-2013, 07:32 AM
For what little they cost...replace them.

Buttsy
04-29-2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.mrrpmcycle.com/products/oiladapters.htm

Sorry not very good at embedding "links" (should work) however this guy is a Rotax guru with a decent name in the ATV market. Wonder if his "oil adapter" would work on a Spyder.............? Would give you a "spin on filter" if it did?

Chupaca
04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
I order my filters and oil online and the filter comes with the washers and o-ring. Most filters do have the o-ring. But as Scotty said they are cheap and you don't have to worry about leaks. But do have a torque wrench handy... :thumbup:

Flanker
04-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Got it. Better to have/use new ones; don't need to if you don't have 'em handy though. Rats! Gonna have to buy a 3/8 drive torque wrench (loaned my old one out; and it came back defective; :gaah:). Guess I should have one anyway, considering how much I work on metric bikes. TY for the replies!

IGETAROUND
04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Got it. Better to have/use new ones; don't need to if you don't have 'em handy though. Rats! Gonna have to buy a 3/8 drive torque wrench (loaned my old one out; and it came back defective; :gaah:). Guess I should have one anyway, considering how much I work on metric bikes. TY for the replies!

Harbor Freight usually has them on sale for $10.00 if you keep your eye on their ads:clap:

beanoil
04-29-2013, 07:45 PM
http://www.mrrpmcycle.com/products/oiladapters.htm

Sorry not very good at embedding "links" (should work) however this guy is a Rotax guru with a decent name in the ATV market. Wonder if his "oil adapter" would work on a Spyder.............? Would give you a "spin on filter" if it did? I can't see that working on the Spyder. I don't think you have the room in that area. BUT, I could see it working with a remote filter mount and a couple of hardlines/flex hoses bent and routed properly. Hmmmm...

Frank G
04-29-2013, 08:36 PM
The Oil change kit from BRP for the Spyder as comes with oil, filters, O-Rings, and new washers. At this time they also include the new filter and housing. :ohyea: All for under $60.00, How can you go wrong!

Buttsy
04-29-2013, 08:42 PM
I can't see that working on the Spyder. I don't think you have the room in that area. BUT, I could see it working with a remote filter mount and a couple of hardlines/flex hoses bent and routed properly. Hmmmm...

Yup I think space is at a premium but he has something called a "Remote filter adapter set - $150" might be what you are looking for? :dontknow:

Flanker
05-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Changed out the oil and filter today. I was quite impressed with plates and shield under the oil tank; not too mention the cartridge style filter, and the perfectly round, smooth drain plugs were a nice touch. In general, I find the Spyder to be well designed and engineered....................obviously those oil system bits were handled by refugees from the Aztek design team. :mad: Reused the copper washers and the O ring.............we'll see if that ends up being a good call, or not. Belt tension looked/felt fine to me, and the brake and radiator fluids were where they were supposed to be. Discovered the top seal on my R shock is leaking (not badly, but there's a mist of shock fluid on my swing arm just ahead of the shock and directly above the shock on the seat base bottom. Gonna have the dealership check it out on Mon/Tues next week. Thinkin' they're gonna end up replacing that. $120.00 bucks for changing the oil and filter and checking the fluids my elbow! :wrong:

Silvervette05
05-13-2013, 04:13 PM
For what little they cost...replace them.

:agree:

joet82
05-13-2013, 05:36 PM
A Spyder mechanic I talked to a while ago said that, if needed, they can be changed every other oil change. But that's the max.