PDA

View Full Version : Rear tire

Spydroe
05-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Has anyone replaced their rear tire yet or getting close to needing to replace? I wonder if the dealers will keep them in stock? What will be the price?

VIspyderman
05-20-2008, 12:30 AM
I've got 11000 kms on my tires and am not even showing any noticable wear. In Canada... dealers pay just less than $110 for the rear tire.

Lamonster
05-20-2008, 08:12 AM
I'll be replacing mine soon. Don't think I'll get 10K out of her. ::)

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/5619/CIMG4951.JPG
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/5619/CIMG4950.JPG

spyderrider44
05-20-2008, 01:53 PM
[quote=Lamonster ]

:agree: must be all that easy riding you do ;D .

bjt
05-20-2008, 04:54 PM

:agree: must be all that easy riding you do ;D .

Us sissies plan to get at least two to three times that mileage out of our tires. ;D

MrChet
05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Does it have to be the same tire or can it be replaced with another brand like a car tire that would give longer tread life? Also how wide of a tire could you replace it with? I think they would look even better with something big fat and wide like off of a formula one car. :2cool: But hey that's just me and my crazy customizing mind working overtime.

Roaddog2
05-21-2008, 07:00 PM
:spyder:That is the only tire you can use for know and the price is right :bigthumbsup:

barb36jack31
05-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Why can't you use an auto tire if it is the same size, speed raring, tubeless etc.?

Jack H

Lamonster
05-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Why can't you use an auto tire if it is the same size, speed raring, tubeless etc.?

Jack H

::) :dontknow: but I'm about to find out. ;D

NancysToy
05-21-2008, 09:52 PM

Can't say with certainty, but Spyder tires are recommended to be run at, and rated at, a much lower pressure. Even if running the low pressures in the car tires didn't cause overheating and possible failure, they probably would suffer from odd tread wear.
-Scotty

ld271
05-21-2008, 11:22 PM
id like to put a drag slick and take it to the drag strip and see what kinda of time it will run yeha baby :bigthumbsup:

barb36jack31
05-22-2008, 12:12 PM
I had a Honda 750 cc with a MotorTrike conversion before I got the Spyder. That machine ran the back tires at 18-20 lbs/square inch with no overheating or funny tread wear patterns. They were an "el Cheapo" brand of car tire. I had it for over three years and 25K miles.

Jack H.

P.S. I admit the 750 was a bit gutless as compared to the Spyder, but those auto tires still looked great when I sold it.

JH

NancysToy
05-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I had a Honda 750 cc with a MotorTrike conversion before I got the Spyder. That machine ran the back tires at 18-20 lbs/square inch with no overheating or funny tread wear patterns. They were an "el Cheapo" brand of car tire. I had it for over three years and 25K miles.

Jack H.

P.S. I admit the 750 was a bit gutless as compared to the Spyder, but those auto tires still looked great when I sold it.

JH

Jack,
That's good to know. I suspect that the lower weight of a cycle may have had something to do with it. I never considered that wrinkle. First thought is to the Ford Explorer tire fiasco. As long as these Kenda tires get reasonable wear, and are priced reasonably (compared to Touring motorcycle tires) I'll probably continue to run them. Nice to know there may actually be an alternative, however. I wonder how the car tires would fare for traction, with a different tread pattern, and their harder compound. If someone tries one, I hope they post the results here.
-Scotty

YRYDE
05-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Spydroe,
Your question about the Spyder tire can be answered with certainty. The following quote came straight from the mechanic at Pro MotorSports in Fond du Lac, WI. "You wouldn't believe how many Spyder tires BRP has sent us already, yet we are back ordered on filters, crush washers and O-rings for the Spyder".
Not to worry!
YRYDE :bigthumbsup:

barb36jack31
05-22-2008, 07:39 PM
I got lost reading the last post. What is the significance of BRP sending lots of rear tires while still being backlogged on filters and crush washers?

Jack H.