PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Replacement

Flanker
04-28-2013, 11:31 PM
I intend to replace the H7 halogen bulbs in my headlights with some 5150K aftermarket bulbs (55w). Anyone know of a free online resource that would assist me in successfully disassembling whatever is necessary on my RSS to do that? I've got all the hand tools I need, and loads of tinkering a modifying experience, but taught myself a long time ago that winging "stuff" is a great way to find out the wrong order to disassemble things, and/or break off small plastic tabs on body work. Basically, I need to know what to take apart, in what order, and how to do it without losing small parts or breaking things. My fall back is a shop manual from the dealer or online (depending on price and features/practicality). TY!

r1100rider
04-29-2013, 12:35 AM
I intend to replace the H7 halogen bulbs in my headlights with some 5150K aftermarket bulbs (55w). Anyone know of a free online resource that would assist me in successfully disassembling whatever is necessary on my RSS to do that? I've got all the hand tools I need, and loads of tinkering a modifying experience, but taught myself a long time ago that winging "stuff" is a great way to find out the wrong order to disassemble things, and/or break off small plastic tabs on body work. Basically, I need to know what to take apart, in what order, and how to do it without losing small parts or breaking things. My fall back is a shop manual from the dealer or online (depending on price and features/practicality). TY!
Lamont did a how to video search and you will find it you need to take the top of dash off remove the mirrors ,the gauge cluster,the windshield , the top plastic over the air cleaner it's. Not a bad job I just did it about 10 min removal, careful about bulbs you can piss off nanny and bike won't start or will throw codes

Chupaca
04-29-2013, 12:42 AM
To get a shop manual (online green manuals) seeing that you do this kind of stuff. But in the meantime there are two slotted holes above the instrument panel. Small screwdriver will fit and push down to depress tab while pulling on cluster. Do the same on the other side and the cluster will pull out. Unplug the harness and you will have access to the lights.. Good luck..!! :thumbup:

Flanker
04-29-2013, 05:35 AM
To get a shop manual (online green manuals) seeing that you do this kind of stuff. But in the meantime there are two slotted holes above the instrument panel. Small screwdriver will fit and push down to depress tab while pulling on cluster. Do the same on the other side and the cluster will pull out. Unplug the harness and you will have access to the lights.. Good luck..!! :thumbup:I noticed the slots yesterday, didn't realize what they were for.........................will check them out today! I've got a query in on another thread about a shop manual............likely will be buying and DLing one soon! Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:What was that about being careful with the bulbs and hacking off the ECU into it's code mode..........................that sounded ominous, and it's 46 mi to my dealership? I'd prefer to avoid unnecessary trips to them. UPDATE: I see the slots; looks like I pull the windshield, to access the slots. Hhhhhhhmmmmmm......................thinkin' the safety card may have an accident while I've got the top of the instrument cluster off. Remember kids! Don't stick your head directly in the flames!

arntufun
04-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Don't forget to have a few bandaids ready in the garage before you begin. You most likely will need them............ nojoke

Sarge707
04-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Don't forget to have a few bandaids ready in the garage before you begin. You most likely will need them............ nojoke

:agree: If your lucky it will be like changing a household bulb?:roflblack:
If not it might look like mine?:hun: