PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Spyder owner - Any Reputable Extended Warranties?

Imnotlost
04-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Greetings everyone,
Welcome back home to those of you who appear to be just returning from a Spyder rally. I hope everyone had fun & made it home safely.
I am buying a used Spyder for my wife, and have found a few very nice, low-mileage RS-SE5's and RSS models in our price range. However, most of these are 2009/10 models, which fall outside of the manufacturer's warranty range. I've read of the B.E.S.T. & Western extended warranties but am fairly certain they cannot be activated unless the original warranty is still in play.

My question of the day is, do any of you fine folks know of any reputable warranty companies that would cover a very low-mileage Spyder who's original warranty had expired? I'm frankly amazed at the large percentage of low-mileage Spyders on the market. As fun, stable, SAFE, and comfortable as they are, I don't understand how so many seem to sit in a garage, forlorn and forgotten. It's a shame, really - but I aim to make at least one Spyder happy.

Thanks for any input - I look forward to spending some quality time on this excellent forum, as I enjoy performing my own maintenance, but am nearly clueless as to what makes these things tick.

Ga Blue Knight
04-29-2013, 05:10 AM
The B.E.S.T. Warrantee offered by the dealers is pretty much used by a lot of the folks here on the forum. I have purchased it twice and my has it on his. I have never needed to use it but I believe the responses are that it is reasonably priced and they are responsive.

MouthPiece
04-29-2013, 07:24 AM
If I understand your question, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you want to know if you are able to purchase an extended warranty AFTER your manufacturer warranty has expired? If that is the case, then my answer is that I'm not sure. I'm in Flarda just as you, and I was not able to purchase the BEST warranty program. Instead, at my dealership RPM One was made available to me.

I think what I'd do is go to your dealership there in Jacksonville and see if they have an answer for you, or contact "BEST" which is sold on this forum by one of our sponsors. They might have the answer you are seeking.

As to the latter portion of your question, albeit, why someone would let their spyder sit, I have no earthly idea. Perhaps the Mrs. was constantly putting him in "time out" (a means of behavior modification that I do not believe in).

Chris

Imnotlost
04-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Mouthpiece/Chris;

You interpreted me correctly, and thanks for the advice. The Can-Am dealer here in Jacksonville is Jacksonville Power Sports. I will definitely be hitting them up tomorrow (bike dealerships closed Sunday/Monday here) with a few VIN's I'm looking into. I will keep that insurance company you mentioned handy and mention it if need be. I'd probably pay more through the dealership, but I also think they would not use a third-party warranty that was hard to deal with. Unfortunately, we as Floridians are restricted as to the warranties we can buy, so I may be wasting my time looking outside the dealer networks.

As to your thoughts on "time-outs"...:agree:

Firefly
04-29-2013, 08:56 AM
If you buy a used spyder from a dealer, it may come with a warranty and you may be able to add a couple years of BEST to it.

Buttsy
04-29-2013, 09:13 AM
If you buy a used spyder from a dealer, it may come with a warranty and you may be able to add a couple years of BEST to it.

Pardon the "pun" but the "BEST" way I have had it explained to me is this................if your Spyder is currently covered under the original BRP warranty (2 years in Canada) you can purchase additional years of "BEST" coverage no problem. The trick is it has to be under the original warranty period to be eligible to purchase additional "BEST" warranty coverage. If it is outside of this period, in other words no coverage at all or it is under the "BEST" coverage period currently you can not purchase additional coverage through the "BEST" program.

So for me I have the 2 year original warranty and 1 year of "Best" coverage at the time of sale. As long as I get to my dealer before the 2 year original warranty expires I can purchase additional "Best" coverage for years 4,5 and I think 6? Which is exactly what I will be doing................love my Spyder not to thrilled with all the horror stories.

PS: The BRP original warranty period is "zero" dollar deduactible while the BEST warranty is $ 50.00 deductible every time you use it. Only once per visit though, so if you can save up the problems you are "BEST" to do this.

Cheers

Imnotlost
04-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Firefly,
That is a good suggestion as well. While most dealerships within 400 miles are REALLY proud of their Spyders, there are a few that are offering some great prices on some new & new-used RS/RSS models. For the most part we have found no ST models (our preference) and the RT's seem to really hold their value a long time <cough>.

cyclelover63
05-02-2013, 06:21 PM
The B.E.S.T. Warrantee offered by the dealers is pretty much used by a lot of the folks here on the forum. I have purchased it twice and my has it on his. I have never needed to use it but I believe the responses are that it is reasonably priced and they are responsive.

Didn't we have a sponsor that sold BEST extended warranties cheaper than through a dealer?