PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Mount for RT

sjcpanther
04-28-2013, 03:59 PM
What is the best mount for an Iphone on the RT? Is the Ram Mount pretty decent, or should I go with the type that bolts into 2 of the 4 bolts in the handlebar?

I really don't want to drill any holes anywhere.

Just curious what you guys have found to work the best.

Wiredux
04-28-2013, 04:09 PM
I put mine in the trunk. Why are you looking to mount it ?

sjcpanther
04-28-2013, 04:12 PM
I put mine in the trunk. Why are you looking to mount it ?

I was going to use it for GPS purposes.

murphybrown
04-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Use my iPhone also for maps:yes:

sjcpanther
04-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Use my iPhone also for maps:yes:

Do you use the Ram Mount on the handle near the throttle?

murphybrown
04-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Do you use the Ram Mount on the handle near the throttle?
ram mount is (as I sit on seat) in/on the top left bolt of handlebars. For my iPhone.
I have a second ram mount on the bottom right bolt for my SPOT tracker device?

sjcpanther
04-28-2013, 05:20 PM
ram mount is (as I sit on seat) in/on the top left bolt of handlebars. For my iPhone.

Pretty neat. Gives me some ideas.

Thanks!

SpydermanCT
04-28-2013, 07:39 PM
I mounted my GPS up on the top of the dash so the center area of the bars is where I mounted my iPhone. I used a Ram mount X-Grip and mounted it through the hole in the center of the bars with a toggle bolt. I can not tell a lie, it was Teddy's idea !

http://www.rammount.com/Products/XGriptradeMounts/XGriptradePhoneMounts/tabid/4688/Default.aspx

CyncySpyder
07-02-2013, 08:04 AM

jthornton
07-02-2013, 08:43 AM
If there was an easy way to use a ram mount ball on top of the dash would there be in interest in mounting your GPS/Phone up there so you don't have to look down as far and take your eyes off the road?

JT

finless
07-02-2013, 08:58 AM
This is my setup!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB3c9IfhByU

Get a cheap older iPod and dedicate it to the job! Trust me you will be happier :)

Bob

jthornton
07-02-2013, 09:07 AM
This is my setup!

Get a cheap older iPod and dedicate it to the job! Trust me you will be happier :)

Bob

I just bought the cheapest BRP accessory they have, the iPod mount and used it for my tunes... won't work too well when I'm trying to navigate with the eye phone...

JT

kepople
07-02-2013, 09:15 AM
If there was an easy way to use a ram mount ball on top of the dash would there be in interest in mounting your GPS/Phone up there so you don't have to look down as far and take your eyes off the road?

JT

I would like phone and GPS mounted just below eye level...

jthornton
07-02-2013, 10:37 AM
I would like phone and GPS mounted just below eye level...

Like just above the dash as depicted by the checkbook in this photo?

JT

finless
07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Why do you need to see the iPod when all the music is displayed on the RT dash screen?
Or is this for the phone stuff and not just playlists, etc?

Bob

jthornton
07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Why do you need to see the iPod when all the music is displayed on the RT dash screen?
Or is this for the phone stuff and not just playlists, etc?

Bob

When you use the GPS on your phone.

JT

lookerjdc
07-03-2013, 04:28 PM
I use a ram mount ball with the hole in the center so I could use it on the dash and then an X-Grip mount to hold the phone

no drilling required

Bob Denman
07-03-2013, 05:32 PM
I've got no dog in this fight...
But it seems to me that the handlebars of some of these rigs are getting stretched to the limit... :shocked:
Can you actually drill nto the dash top, and have a solid mount up there? :yikes:

Dave,
Your dash looks like something out of the Apollo moon landing missions! :thumbup: :bowdown: ;)

SpydermanCT
07-03-2013, 06:16 PM
I have to admit that Teddy did give me that idea ! :roflblack: He is the man ! :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
07-03-2013, 06:25 PM
This is my setup, the brp style gps mount.

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Erags
07-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Check out ISCI ball mounts. They looks like they came on the Spyder

saint999
09-28-2014, 07:22 PM
I know this is a little old post but did you drill new wholes for the ball supporting your cup holder or did you use the existing dash screw?

I use a ram mount ball with the hole in the center so I could use it on the dash and then an X-Grip mount to hold the phone

no drilling required

PrairieSpyder
09-28-2014, 07:44 PM

JT

My set-up is similar to MB's. I like not having to look down to see my map!

robmorg
09-28-2014, 08:28 PM

JT

I've got no dog in this fight...
But it seems to me that the handlebars of some of these rigs are getting stretched to the limit... :shocked:
Can you actually drill nto the dash top, and have a solid mount up there? :yikes:

JT, are you being modest?? ;) There IS an easy way to mount a phone/GPS up on the dash (and more) without drilling any holes.....

JT's dash mount kit (http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50) can even be ordered with a RAM X-mount for your phone/GPS. Works great!

Here's mine.... (So far, I'm only using it for my phone and a 12V USB power source.)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-D4GIkkkV4xg/U96qPE1ujNI/AAAAAAAAAF4/6AVgabdB8IE/s640/cp2_sm.jpg

jthornton
09-29-2014, 06:46 AM
JT, are you being modest?? ;) There IS an easy way to mount a phone/GPS up on the dash (and more) without drilling any holes.....

JT's dash mount kit (http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50) can even be ordered with a RAM X-mount for your phone/GPS. Works great!

Here's mine.... (So far, I'm only using it for my phone and a 12V USB power source.)

When I posted that I had not developed the Dash Mount Bar yet.

JT

Pennyrick
09-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Here are two views of my RT with RAM mounts tied into the handlebar bolts.

The cupholder and I phone mounts are stock RAM items and are vibration free as well as being fully adjustable. For example I can use the IPhone in the horizontal position (as shown) or I can quickly change it to vertical and use the camera to shoot through the windshield.

robmorg
09-30-2014, 10:57 PM
When I posted that I had not developed the Dash Mount Bar yet.

JTOpps. I should have noticed that it was an old thread that had been resurrected. :opps: Well, maybe I helped the guy who resurrected it find his way to your mounting bar. ;)

jthornton
10-01-2014, 06:17 AM
Opps. I should have noticed that it was an old thread that had been resurrected. :opps: Well, maybe I helped the guy who resurrected it find his way to your mounting bar. ;)

Thanks for your help.

JT

jaherbst
10-30-2014, 10:17 AM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-D4GIkkkV4xg/U96qPE1ujNI/AAAAAAAAAF4/6AVgabdB8IE/s640/cp2_sm.jpg

Where did you get the 660 GPS shade? I like it.

Jack