PDA

View Full Version : ST Audio Speaker Upgrade

Justryde
04-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Has anyone upgraded the speakers on the ST-S?

kubie
04-27-2013, 08:18 PM
No..... But Man I would Like to My Speekers S:cus:k!!!! If you find some to fit let us know!

spydermyke990
04-27-2013, 09:16 PM
I hardly use the speakers, i just run all the sound into the bluetooth in my helmet

Phil
04-28-2013, 02:02 AM
I hardly use the speakers, i just run all the sound into the bluetooth in my helmet

Me too.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

dadunston
04-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Hello all,

I just purchased my ST spyder limited a week ago. With my helmet I purchased the Sena smh10 bluetooth headest.

How to I force the ST radio to play though the headset verse through the external speaks?

spyder-dude
04-30-2013, 07:45 PM
I have some weather proof speakers and amp kit with bluetooth and ipod controller on order and will let you know how it works out when I get it setup. All for under $200.

mjw930
05-04-2013, 07:11 PM
The speakers in the ST are not a standard car size, they are 5" like the Goldwing. 5.25" speakers WILL NOT FIT.

They are also a lot better than any OEM speaker I've seen in a while. They look like aftermarket considering they have a directional tweeter and a magnet that's almost as large as the speaker itself, not the joke 1" magnets you usually see on OEM speakers.

Considering the extremely small enclosure and the physical limitations of a 5" speaker if you don't spend a couple hundred on a GOOD amp replacing the speakers is a glorious waste of time and money. In fact, I would do an amp first and see how it sounds before I spend the coin on speakers.

Remember, these ARE NOT 5 1/4" speakers, they are 5" speakers and there are only a few speakers that will fit the enclosure and the enclosure cannot be easily modified.

Saluda
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Granted this is my first bike with a radio but I like them as is.

Speedy Spyder
07-03-2014, 05:09 PM
The speakers in the ST are not a standard car size, they are 5" like the Goldwing. 5.25" speakers WILL NOT FIT.

They are also a lot better than any OEM speaker I've seen in a while. They look like aftermarket considering they have a directional tweeter and a magnet that's almost as large as the speaker itself, not the joke 1" magnets you usually see on OEM speakers.

Considering the extremely small enclosure and the physical limitations of a 5" speaker if you don't spend a couple hundred on a GOOD amp replacing the speakers is a glorious waste of time and money. In fact, I would do an amp first and see how it sounds before I spend the coin on speakers.

Remember, these ARE NOT 5 1/4" speakers, they are 5" speakers and there are only a few speakers that will fit the enclosure and the enclosure cannot be easily modified.

Am curious how you wired in a amp to the factory radio. Directions would be awesome:thumbup:

mstella101
07-03-2014, 06:05 PM
I've been looking to do the same upgrade but when I looked and measured and also told by an audio guy that the speakers are 4 1/2's. it certainly limits what we're able to do. the audio guy said even w/ an amp it'll be a little louder but not to expect much more. Any more insight would be greatly appreciated. 'Cause a louder less tinny, cleaner sound would be great!

Barbie
07-06-2014, 09:21 AM
My speakers don't seem loud enough on the interstate. I downloaded some music and put it on a sim card then inserted it into my GPS. I can hear it a lot better because the music comes through the speakers and the gps. It's also nice because I can fast forward through the songs I'm not in the mood to listen to. ;)

ARCTIC
07-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Me too.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Actually the thread is about how to upgrade the speakers. NOT "should I use speakers or bluetooth headsets". Just sayin'......

Hello all,

I just purchased my ST spyder limited a week ago. With my helmet I purchased the Sena smh10 bluetooth headest.

How to I force the ST radio to play though the headset verse through the external speaks?

You'd probably get a better response on a search or starting a new thread. You're going to need the bluetooth dongle: http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/755832/219400458/_/Bluetooth_Dongle_for_Audio_System

SpyderGAAZ
07-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Do the 2013 ST-S all have radios? I am picking my 2013 STS up after my vacation and it will be a pleasant surprise if it has a radio!

Speedy Spyder
07-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Do the 2013 ST-S all have radios? I am picking my 2013 STS up after my vacation and it will be a pleasant surprise if it has a radio!

STS doesn't come with a radio. The ST-L does. Good luck and enjoy your new toy!:thumbup:

mstella101
07-15-2014, 09:08 AM
I just ordered polk db401's - polks 4" marine certified speakers from Sonic Electronix- After talking to several different Tech experts they all seem to agree this would be the best choice to switch out the OEM's for. When I pulled the grill and speaker out (without taking off any tupperware) it looks like it
could /should be an easy switch- there is literally no room back there for any speaker more than 2"'s deep! Hope it works

ARCTIC
07-15-2014, 10:09 AM
I just ordered polk db401's - polks 4" marine certified speakers from Sonic Electronix- After talking to several different Tech experts they all seem to agree this would be the best choice to switch out the OEM's for. When I pulled the grill and speaker out (without taking off any tupperware) it looks like it
could /should be an easy switch- there is literally no room back there for any speaker more than 2"'s deep! Hope it works

Keep us posted!!! Are you only switching speakers or are you adding an amplifier as well?

mstella101
07-15-2014, 10:48 PM
right now just speakers- I'll see if I need an amp. was told power pucks could be a viable option- or an amp in frunk. The speakers are on their way should be here tomorrow. I'l switch them out as soon as I can. I'll let you all know if they help.

Bob Denman
07-16-2014, 08:02 AM
Would the ones from J&M that fit the front of the RTs, work on an ST?

Speedy Spyder
07-16-2014, 08:20 PM

Hi, I'm about to order Polk db501's took some measurements of factory speaker according to Polk rep instructions and came up with 5"???:banghead:

Speedy Spyder
07-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Would the ones from J&M that fit the front of the RTs, work on an ST?

All the research I've done hands down:thumbup: Polk Audio marine grade certified.

mstella101
07-18-2014, 01:51 PM
If u can wait a couple hours before u order I will be installing them this afternoon I'll let you know what happens. When u pull off grill it doesn't seem that a 5" will fit. its really tight in there. I'm going to try without pulling off tupperware. If you don't here from me soon send out the Mounties!

bondo
07-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Hello all,

you musy buy sena sm1o from can am comes with hareness then you sync everthing together

Speedy Spyder
07-19-2014, 12:30 AM
If u can wait a couple hours before u order I will be installing them this afternoon I'll let you know what happens. When u pull off grill it doesn't seem that a 5" will fit. its really tight in there. I'm going to try without pulling off tupperware. If you don't here from me soon send out the Mounties!

How did u make out with your installation?

mstella101
07-19-2014, 03:55 PM
haven't tackled it yet(bummer-man) but will Sun AM then go for a ride! I'll let u know

Speedy Spyder
07-19-2014, 07:55 PM
haven't tackled it yet(bummer-man) but will Sun AM then go for a ride! I'll let u know

:popcorn::popcorn:

mstella101
07-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Ok this afternoon I started to pull apart the speaker wells- just not enough room to barely unscrew oem speakers , sooooo, started to pull of panels( sorry took pix -turned out terrible) took off up to black panel by parking brake and part of mirror- be careful not to pull out bolts that hold mirror bolts onto bike- I finally unscrewed and maneuvered speaker out. pulled off small thingamajig and whatchamacallit (2 wire things that go on the speaker- one has red dot on speaker) off of oem speaker and started to put both back on Polk db401's when I realized one of the posts on new speaker is smaller than the wire thing on the bike. Aren't you all thrilled with my knowledge of the technical terms. At this point (after 1:45 min) I had to go to a prior commitment. Put everything back on and had to leave. The oem speaker still worked-woohoo. gonna stop at a radio shack tomorrow to see what IU need to get! Or should I call a guy I know who does this stuff for a living have him change out the speakers and install an amp at same time????
what to do -what to do

Speedy Spyder
07-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Ok this afternoon I started to pull apart the speaker wells- just not enough room to barely unscrew oem speakers , sooooo, started to pull of panels( sorry took pix -turned out terrible) took off up to black panel by parking brake and part of mirror- be careful not to pull out bolts that hold mirror bolts onto bike- I finally unscrewed and maneuvered speaker out. pulled off small thingamajig and whatchamacallit (2 wire things that go on the speaker- one has red dot on speaker) off of oem speaker and started to put both back on Polk db401's when I realized one of the posts on new speaker is smaller than the wire thing on the bike. Aren't you all thrilled with my knowledge of the technical terms. At this point (after 1:45 min) I had to go to a prior commitment. Put everything back on and had to leave. The oem speaker still worked-woohoo. gonna stop at a radio shack tomorrow to see what IU need to get! Or should I call a guy I know who does this stuff for a living have him change out the speakers and install an amp at same time????
what to do -what to do

Were you able to determine what the correct speaker size is? I'm still in limbo.:banghead:

sledmaster
07-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Remember, if you can get a set of speakers with greater sensitivity it is like installing a bigger amplifier.

For example, if you install a set of speakers with higher efficiency (like +3 dB) it would be as loud as the original speakers with TWICE the watts. For every 3 dB increase in speaker output you will need twice as much power.

So say for example if the stock speakers are rated at 90 dB at 1 watt, they would produce 93 dB at 2 watts, 96 dB at 4 watts, 99 dB at 8 watts. Then drop in a set of speakers that are more efficient, say 93 dB at 1 watt, they would put out 96 dB at 2 watts, 99 dB at 4 watts, 102 dB at 8 watts.

I know it seems weird, but that is the nature of a logarithmic relationship. With car stereos we can always get more dB with better speakers, it just depends on what is easier and what costs more. If we can find a more efficient set of speakers that would be the first thing to try. Compare the speaker efficiency ratings, and you will notice there are differences. Problem is we would want to figure out what we have in there stock so we can compare them to potential replacement candidates. At a minimum, put in ones that have the highest efficiency you can find (that will fit).

LV2RYDE
07-22-2014, 10:27 PM
My speakers don't seem loud enough on the interstate. I downloaded some music and put it on a sim card then inserted it into my GPS. I can hear it a lot better because the music comes through the speakers and the gps. It's also nice because I can fast forward through the songs I'm not in the mood to listen to. ;)

Do you have Zumo? If yes, where do you fit the sim card ?

Speedy Spyder
07-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Hi, I'm about to order Polk db501's took some measurements of factory speaker according to Polk rep instructions and came up with 5"???:banghead:

mstella101
08-06-2014, 01:56 PM
After a lot of deliberating I decided to let a buddy who owns a automotive stereo install co. install my polk dbl4's. He also does a lot of work on bikes- this was his 1st Can Am. I decided to add an amp. I will put up pix soon. Install looks great - system sounds better and louder! Buut, 4's just don't have enough bass. sound is clean, i can understand lyrics playing but stillseems a little to high- but 100% better than stock. someone recommended an equalizer app on the iphone might \help for playlists . gonna give that a try this weekend. anyone have a spare pair of body pparts where mirror and wind deflectors connect- he would like to build/form an enclosure for 5 1/2 or 61/2" speakers. I told him this could be a winter project. I'll show with pix what was used and how the install looks this when I get a chance. I am happy.

DougC
09-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Did those polk db401 work? How do they sound? I have a 2014 st limited and want to change out my speakers. I am having a hard time trying to find speakers to fit. Hope you can help me.

fulltimer
09-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Hello all,

I have a '13 STL with the same head set radios. Also interested if anyone else knows the answer.

DougC
09-30-2014, 08:01 AM
I have a '13 STL with the same head set radios. Also interested if anyone else knows the answer.

I never vet used my sena. I have the one that comes on board in my frunk. From what I understand if you register your device on the sena website you can see what the latest firmware there is to download. Hope this helps.

bayoumanPIBE
06-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Hey there...How'd those polk db401 work out on the ST-S?

I have a 2014 ST-S and BRP and my dealer do not know the size of speakers that will fit.

I see 5" in diameter, but I need depth as well...thanks!!

Sopher
07-08-2017, 08:30 PM
check out my posts from like 2010 or 2011... I've upgraded all four. and added a 400watt amp. and added an aftermarket xm radio.
been there.
done that.

AY4B
07-08-2017, 09:49 PM
The reason they do not sound good at higher speeds is the ST stock windshield does not cover the front speakers well. The sound gets washed out by the wind. Get a wide touring windshield like the one sold by California Scientific and it will keep the sound in better.