PDA

View Full Version : We installed new brighter headlights today...here is what we used

dltang
05-17-2008, 07:06 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/headlights.jpg
Product Features
SilverStar's color temperature is a white hot 4,000 K, far higher than other halogens on the market and comparable to High Intensity Discharge headlights.
SilverStar shines with a luminance up to 20% greater than other halogens. They light up 25% more area and last 30% longer than regular SilverStar's.
A sharp profile, silver tip, and amethyst blue coating create a dramatic, high-end, crisp, clean look.
Package of 2 bulbs | Long Lasting Performance | Exact Fit Replacement of original lamp | Superior Light Emmission for Safety and Driving Ease | Street Legal in all fifty states

pphantom538
05-17-2008, 07:19 PM
I've used them before, nice light

spyder-dude
05-17-2008, 07:34 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/headlights.jpg
Product Features
SilverStar's color temperature is a white hot 4,000 K, far higher than other halogens on the market and comparable to High Intensity Discharge headlights.
SilverStar shines with a luminance up to 20% greater than other halogens. They light up 25% more area and last 30% longer than regular SilverStar's.
A sharp profile, silver tip, and amethyst blue coating create a dramatic, high-end, crisp, clean look.
Package of 2 bulbs | Long Lasting Performance | Exact Fit Replacement of original lamp | Superior Light Emmission for Safety and Driving Ease | Street Legal in all fifty states

I thought you where done modding your spyder :) Lets see the pictures of how they look compared to stock!

dltang
05-17-2008, 07:40 PM
I thought you where done modding your spyder :) Lets see the pictures of how they look compared to stock!

I don't consider this a mod, I think of it as more a safety feature. I am not sure how to get photos since now we both have these lights. I'll have to find someone with a Spyder with stock headlights and try it.

wildwillie
05-17-2008, 10:24 PM
How much do they cost and where can I buy them?wildwillie

dltang
05-17-2008, 11:03 PM
How much do they cost and where can I buy them?wildwillie

I bought them at a local auto parts store, Advance Auto and they were $37.99 for the pair. I did not check other stores or on line, they may be cheaper elsewhere. I didn't think that was too bad of a price.

spyderrider44
05-18-2008, 12:40 AM
:bigthumbsup: thanks you just saved me buying the HID from the dealer :2cool:

jeuchler
05-18-2008, 05:14 AM
:bigthumbsup: thanks you just saved me buying the HID from the dealer :2cool:

Me 2, thanks, Deb!

(I hope I don't mount them backwards... :joke: )

bjt
05-18-2008, 06:28 AM
We did do a little test with one stock headlight and one of the new headlights in the Spyder and the new headlight was noticeably brighter and whiter. How much was maybe a little hard to tell as we did the test in the daytime so the lights were very washed out by the sunlight. It's a good thing that these lights last 30% longer, according to dltang's sales pitch, as they are a pain to change out. We removed the windscreen to get access to the slots to pop out the dash display module. Popped out the display. removed the headlight back covers. Struggled to squeeze a hand into a tight spot with all kinds of hard, sharp plastic things in the way. Fought to turn the light holder counter-clockwise to remove the light. Found that the headlight wires were just barely long enough to get out of the headlight housing so we had a little difficulty swapping out the bulbs. Of course, it was no piece of cake putting it all back together either.

jeuchler
05-18-2008, 06:41 AM
We did do a little test with one stock headlight and one of the new headlights in the Spyder and the new headlight was noticeably brighter and whiter. How much was maybe a little hard to tell as we did the test in the daytime so the lights were very washed out by the sunlight. It's a good thing that these lights last 30% longer, according to dltang's sales pitch, as they are a pain to change out. We removed the windscreen to get access to the slots to pop out the dash display module. Popped out the display. removed the headlight back covers. Struggled to squeeze a hand into a tight spot with all kinds of hard, sharp plastic things in the way. Fought to turn the light holder counter-clockwise to remove the light. Found that the headlight wires were just barely long enough to get out of the headlight housing so we had a little difficulty swapping out the bulbs. Of course, it was no piece of cake putting it all back together either.

Thanks for the warning!

It helps when I think like this: "Oh, I have five minutes before work, I think I'll install those new headlight bulbs dltang and bjt mentioned..."

ld271
05-18-2008, 10:53 AM
i put the silverstars on my truck thay are better than stock then thought about the same on spyder at a cost of 40.00 so i went for the HID's from brp on my spyder WOW its like driving in the daytime at night .I know that the price is alot but how do you put a price on safety on a motorcycle its bad enough that the odds of a crash are greater on a bike i'll spend the money to be safe

one2doo
05-18-2008, 11:56 AM
I installed PIAA Bright White H7 in mine. What a difference!

bjt
05-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the warning!

It helps when I think like this: "Oh, I have five minutes before work, I think I'll install those new headlight bulbs dltang and bjt mentioned..."

Yea, better give yourself at least 5 minutes and 30 seconds.... :joke:

Seriously, now that I know what's going on in there, how they mount, etc. I would allot 15 - 30 minutes for this job. If you have a short small screwdriver, you can pop out the display without removing the windshield, which added 5 - 10 minutes. Also, dltang read through the Spyder instruction manual first so we had an idea of what was supposed to happen. There is one part in the manual where it talks about using a small screwdriver to open the clips to remove the bulb holder. We fiddled with that for a few minutes (unsuccessfully) but then took a good look at the bulbs and the socket they go into and discovered that we didn't need to do anything with the bulb holder. Once you turn the bulb / socket assembly loose from the headlight housing, the bulb just pulls straight out from the socket.

ps. If you are an NFL lineman or a sumo wrestler, you have to get someone else to do this. The spaces you have to work in are not big enough for someone with large hands. It does help if you are a semi-contortionist ;D and you definitely have to be able to visualize something in your head and then work blindly as you can't see what you are working on once your hand gets in there.

one2doo
05-18-2008, 12:27 PM
My skin just healed from the installation.

NancysToy
05-18-2008, 03:53 PM
I installed PIAA Bright White H7 in mine. What a difference!

I like the PIAAs, too. Put them on my BMW, and they improve the pitiful lighting a lot. The equivalent of about twice the wattage, from only 55 watts. Spyder gets them next.
-Scotty

dltang
05-19-2008, 10:04 AM
I just got this response over on the other forum, please respond to the validity of this issue. I don't want to hurt my Spyder.
"The ones for cars are not the right WATT you neen 35 watt bulbs if you use 55 watt bulbs you can burn up your regulator and battery may not recharge.Not worth it plus voids the warranty Fyi"

After bjt got one of the old bulbs out, this was my reply back. "the stock bulbs we pulled out of the Spyder are GE H7 A 12V 55 Watt. So I don't think we will void our warranty by using 55 watt H7 bulbs."

pphantom538
05-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Great update. Thanks.

Danimal
05-19-2008, 12:11 PM
As I stated on the other site:

On the lights...... you can actually go up to 60W bulbs..... not that you would find them here in the US.....

The Shop Manual calls for 2 x 55W H7 bulbs for US/Canadian Spyders
and 4 x 60W H7 bulbs for everyone else.

This is because the fog lights are stock items on all units sold outside of North America.

Looks like I'll be installing 4 of these SilverStar bulbs and then keeping my stock bulbs as emergency spares. (might want to add that to your trip list Deb).

NancysToy
05-19-2008, 06:23 PM
As I stated on the other site:

On the lights...... you can actually go up to 60W bulbs..... not that you would find them here in the US.....

The Shop Manual calls for 2 x 55W H7 bulbs for US/Canadian Spyders
and 4 x 60W H7 bulbs for everyone else.

This is because the fog lights are stock items on all units sold outside of North America.

Looks like I'll be installing 4 of these SilverStar bulbs and then keeping my stock bulbs as emergency spares. (might want to add that to your trip list Deb).

The European Spyders use four H7 bulbs, with the top two being high beam, and the lower two (foglight position) low beams. The US foglight option uses H3 or H8 bulbs (I don't remember which), rather than the H7 bulbs used in our headlights.
-Scotty