PDA

View Full Version : New to spyders

Oncebitten
04-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Hello and thank you for this forum. First I would like to say hello and thank you to all for the information I've gotten you are a great community and group. I've never seen so much kindness from strangers, you make me proud to be a witness.

Well on to the nitty gritty the divorce is over and now I'm in the market at the worst time to.
I know the risk and the cost are high but I've been bitten and I can't go back. I've found a 2009 clean title se5 with 29,000 miles tons of farkles and under $9,000 or should i bite the bullet and go for a new 2012 for around $15,000. Can anyone tell me what to look out for if buying used, I'm going to try to ride a lot in tons of traffic. What would you girls and guys go for ?

Chupaca
04-25-2013, 01:47 AM
Really hard to say..you are the one who has to decide in the end. These units hold their value and last a long time. They are techy so if you go used make sure all updates were made. Vin # given to a dealer can tell. New or used is usually a budget thing. Do you want to farkle or have it already done. So in my case I have had many a used vehicle, I have build several so this time I wanted new and do what I wanted to..good luck.!!:thumbup:

Oncebitten
04-25-2013, 02:35 AM
If you had it to do all over again would you buy used or new would mileage affect your decision ?

NoJive
04-25-2013, 05:22 AM
I've been a proud member of this board since I bought my '08 GS SM5 a couple years ago, and it seems that the Rotax engines are pretty bulletproof. Buying new does give you the warranty piece of mind, especially if you go with the extended BEST 5 year plan they offer. Like Chupaca said, it is a budget thing though, and under $9,000 is pretty good. When I was in the market, the wife and I were debating a used '08 with 10,000 miles for $12,000, or a new '12 for $18,000. We LOVED the Neutron Green, but to us, it was not worth the $6,000 difference.

spyder3
04-25-2013, 09:01 AM
For a 6k difference, I'm going new. At 29,000 miles, I think you can do better. There have been some great deals on here for virtually new rides. Keep looking & Buy what you can afford. :thumbup:

Bob Ledford
04-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Like the two previous posts started, it is up to you the buyer.

I will do to you what I do best. Stimulate your thinker!

Why is the Spyder for sale with only 29,000 miles on it? Is it what you ultimately want or are you thinking of using as a stepping stone? Have you even ridden a Spyder at this point?

i have been in your sneakers once upon a time and I settled on a 83 GW Interstate a nd spent a ton of money adding toys to it. My next GW came in 84 and was one step up also (Aspencade) I did not have to spend an t.on of money on it. Get my point?

You did not say if the used machine was a dealer trade or private party? If it is a dealer trade what sort of score does he have with the local Chamber of Commerce and Better Business Association?

Right now is an excellent time to purchase last year new models as the dealers are trying to move them out so that they can start selling this years models for more money. My dealer had one left as of last Saturday and it was being looked at as we spoke.

Hope my rambling has given you some help? The warranty as suggested might be a valid thing to purchase on the used one if it not to expensive to purchase?

ARtraveler
04-25-2013, 01:06 PM
:welcome:Lots of decisions.

The price on the used :spyder2: is a good one for the age and mileage indicated. To make sure you are getting a "good one", I would recommend taking it to a dealer and have them give it the once over--including hooking it up to their "buds". They can check out your specific machine and tell what service it has had, what updates have been performed, and whether or not it has been in the shop for "unusual" repairs.

A machine of that age and miles, indicates it has been driven--which is a good sign.

Find out if the owner was on Spyderlovers and look up the posts. People tell both good and bad about their particular machines.

If you are interested in new--take it for a test drive and see what you think. If money is not an issue, the new is much better because you will have a new machine warranty. That will give you some peace of mind.

Enjoy your hunt, and let us know what you decide.

asp125
04-25-2013, 01:11 PM
If the farkles are not what you ultimately want, you'll be spending more money to "fix" em. I bought my 08 used, with low miles. It was a dealer trade-in and I got all the service history so I wasn't too worried about the lack of a warranty.