PDA

View Full Version : Braker rotors

jabe
04-22-2013, 08:11 AM
I have two Sypders. A 2010 & 2011 RS Models. Both have warped rotors...anyone else experiencing this issue?
Dealer told me $500 to fix each of them. These bikes only have 2500 miles on them...

Help Spyder Bro's

SpyderAnn01
04-22-2013, 08:47 AM
I just replaced the rotor on my RT with the EBC rotor from BajaRon It was an easy fix and a lot less than $500

Bob Ledford
04-22-2013, 08:52 AM
2,500 miles of riding should not have produced warped rotor discs IMHO ?

First thing I would is find a non-Spyder brake shop and see if they have a clamp on dial indicator and have that person check the rotors for "runout." What is "runout." A measure of the flatness of the rotors surfaces.

Once you have that data you can determine if the rotors are indeed truly warped.

Do your rotors where the brake pads ride show any signs of wearing unevenly or hot spotting (metal surface dis coloring from excessive heating up?). The braking surfaces should be polished, smooth (no grooves or gouges). While your looking check your brake pads for uneven wearing down, front to back and top to bottom.

How do rotors get warped? Not being a certified brake person I can only talk from mine an here say from others. Excessive over use or abuse of the brakes combined with rapid cooling such as running through a big water puddle after heating the rotor to glowing. I probably have a total of a 1/2 million motorcycle miles under my butt and have never warped a rotor or cooked a brake drum since 1955. When I worked with a known race mechanic I saw a lot of warped rotors and out of round brake drums in my very limited exposure to the race shop experimentation works or bad idea stuff.

after you determine the accuracy of the dealers comments and they are truly warped beyond machining tolerances if your mileage is within BRPs warranty perimeter I would call the Customer Serice Desk and present your findings and go from that point on.

Good Luck!!!

Chupaca
04-22-2013, 11:24 AM
:agree: good luck and let us know your findings...
Worked in bike shop for years and never saw warped rotor that were not in an accident. Have see them burned by wearing the pad don to the pistons but not warped..:thumbup:

asp125
04-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Do you ride two up loaded and do you brake aggressively? Like others said, pretty rare to warp rotors unless due to repeated hard braking followed by cooling. Maybe just some brake pad buildup on the rotors

jerpinoy
04-22-2013, 12:41 PM
:agree::agree: Best explanation of bad rotors causes unless manufacture flaws.:banghead:

Son_Of_A_Moose_88
04-22-2013, 05:53 PM
The front wheel lug nuts need to be torqued at 77 lbf -ft as per my 2009 gs operator guide @ page 109. Last june I recieved 2 EBC rotors from Bajaron and since I received them a few hours before leaving for Durango ,I went to my trusted auto mechanic for him to install them.He estimated torque to be 75 to 80 lbf-ft and I happened to check the owners manual and found it to be 77 lbf-ft. He first torqued them at 55 then 65 and finally 77. He said that floating rotors will warp if not torqued properly. I've since driven aprox. 30,000 km and are still vibration free.

McGone
04-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Also check the spindles. I had a spindle on a 2008 GS that was not even so the rotor was uneven when torqued. Also let the rotor cool down after a long ryde, before washing the bike and hitting the brakes with cold water.

sabunim5
04-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Besides the torque issue mentioned above, driving long distances with you foot riding on the brake can also overheat the discs, causing them to warp. This should however cause all three to warp, not just the front. Just a thought, I have no idea of your personal driving habits.

capt.jim
04-23-2013, 12:17 AM
If both are doing the same thing it could be related to your driving habits, there aren't a whole lot of complaints about this problem. If you are overly easy they can get a buildup it seems, my GS has felt that way occasionally, along with the sqealing. I will get up to about 75 MPH and get on the brakes hard all the way to a stop a couple of times, it seems to help for both problems and it's an easy thing to try. I also block sand my rotors with a 2x4 and some 120 grit before installing new pads, knocks off any surface debris and helps the pads bed in.