PDA

View Full Version : Engine light issues when starting

One Legged Willie
04-21-2013, 05:01 PM
I have a 2011 RT LTD and half the time when I start it the check engine light comes on and it is in the limp mode. My dealer said he could flash the computer to try to fix it but they had it in for two weeks in January and could not find any problem. I turn it on and off several times and it eventually starts and runs normal . Anyone with any ideas, I have 14,000 miles on it and the problem started at about 10,000 miles.

Rotaxer
04-21-2013, 05:18 PM
What code is displayed when it is exhibiting the problem?

One Legged Willie
04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
It is the check engine light, and the screen switches back and forth from speedometer to check engine

NancysToy
04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
What kind of fault codes has the dealer been seeing? Have you pulled up any active fault codes? They should be able to handle this. Have them contact BRP dealer tech support if they are puzzled.

One Legged Willie
04-21-2013, 05:25 PM
They couldn't find anything wrong while they had it, need another maintenance visit and it is occurring more often so I will try again with them next week. Thanks

Rotaxer
04-21-2013, 05:29 PM
See if you can get a code and post it here. Lots of experience on this site and they can tell you what's up or can educate you more before going to the dealer. Here is how to get the code and maybe try just after seeing the problem.

Turn on ignition
Wait for the multifunction gauge to perform its self test
Simultaneously press the Mode,Set & Turn signal buttons.
if you have any active codes they will be displayed.

samewok
04-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Mine did the same thing. They did not find a code. I did find my brake light was staying on and crews control would come. Had switch adjusted all is fine. Have driven about 1000 miles and no problem.

One Legged Willie
04-21-2013, 06:08 PM
See if you can get a code and post it here. Lots of experience on this site and they can tell you what's up or can educate you more before going to the dealer. Here is how to get the code and maybe try just after seeing the problem.

Turn on ignition
Wait for the multifunction gauge to perform its self test
Simultaneously press the Mode,Set & Turn signal buttons.
if you have any active codes they will be displayed.

Didn't see any codes

One Legged Willie
04-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Didn't see any codes

Another issue I have is the radio or iPod cuts out for a few seconds intermittently and comes back on, dealer had no idea on this issue either

NancysToy
04-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Didn't see any codes
You can only pull up active codes. Best chance is when you have the check engine light or limp mode showing. The dealer can call up the past fault codes. I can't believe they saw none. Other things to check would be the relays in the front trunk, to see that they are tightly seated, and the battery terminals inside the left rear body panel (not the jumper terminals under the seat). The battery terminals need to be clean and tight. Also check the rear frame ground (negative jumper terminal under the seat) to see that it is tight.