PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace Gracie 4/??/2002 - 4/19/2013

bullant12
04-21-2013, 08:13 AM
It has been a sad last couple of days for us. We got home from work Friday and saw that our beloved Lab mix Gracie was not her usual self. She laid down in front of her water bowl, swollen belly, labored breathing and did not respond to any of my words, particularly "food", "are you hungry?" (this would turn her into a 11 year old puppy). We called the vet with her symptoms and told us to bring her right away. The X-rays showed that her spleen was abnormally large and that it might have a tumor. When she went to try and drain her belly for fluids, blood came out, meaning that the tumor had ruptured. We had the option to do surgery, but at her age and the indication of blood in her belly we had to come to do the humane thing, not to make her suffer anymore.

She was a great dog. The movie "Marley and me" could not given us a better view of what we went thru. Once we got the other 2 dogs, she started to mellow down and became the big sister. She never met a stranger, always wanted to meet everyone but in her own way: come to you and rub on you. She never jumped at anyone and was very gentle, especially with children. She was very protective of us and her other sister and brother.

It has been a hard last couple of days. I have been thru the death of loved pets before, but Gracie was my longest living one so far. My wife has not taken it as easy as I have, this is her first time dealing with this sort of passing and has cried to sleep every night (I cannot blame her... it is hard for me in the mornings since Gracie was our backup alarm clock). Looking forward to Spyderfest to ease our minds off this sad time and have some fun!!

Thanks for reading... I needed to get this of my chest and I know I can count on my Spyderfriends for support.6685466855

Papa
04-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Sad day indeed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rando
04-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

bullant12
04-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Ah... the bittersweet experience of living with dogs.
From the first day you meet you know there will be a goodbye.

But in that interval, always too short, they show us what unconditional love is.
And it is wonderful.

Thanks Roger. As I have experienced this with several Boxers in my youth, each passing just gets harder and harder. We try to remind ourselves that it will happen several times, but we start avoiding it to prevent our sadness. In the end, it happens and you have to grief.

I keep reminding myself (and Leira) that all we can do now is remember her and enjoy the other 2 babies we have. They are slowly realizing that Gracie is not around, so it is our duty to continue their daily routines and our love.

Babyblue
04-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Over 30 years of dog's, we have put to rest 4. Each loss was heartbreaking, but over the years we remember the silly happy things each had done and laugh with tears in our eyes. Below is a prayer that has helped us through each one.

Our thought are with you and your wife.

A DOG'S PRAYERSo do not grieve for me, my friend,
as I am with my kind...My collar is a rainbow's hue
My leash a shooting star
My boundaries are the milky way
Where I sparkle from afar.There are no pens or kennels here
For I am not confined
But free to roam God's heavens
Among my special kind.I nap the day on a snowy cloud
With gentle breezes rocking me
I dream the dreams of earthlings
And how it used to be.The trees are full of liver treats
And tennis balls abound
And milk bones line the walking ways
Just waiting to be found.There even is a ring set up
The grass all lush and green
And everyone who gaits around
Becomes the "Best Of Breed".For we're all winners in this place
We have no faults you see
And God passes out the ribbons
To each one--even me.At night I sleep in angels' arms
Their wings protecting me
And moonbeams dance about us
As stardust falls on thee.So when your life on earth is spent
And you reach heaven's gate
Have no fear of loneliness
For here, you know I wait.Author Unknown

bruiser
04-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Erick, Kris and I have been there too. We're sending prayers your way. See you in a few days.

cjackg
04-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Really sorry to hear of this... We know well the feelings you are going through as our 14-yr old Beagle, Peanut, is increasingly frail and will soon be going also.

Losing such a great friend is a heart breaking loss but having them as a companion is worth it.

Looking forward to seeing you at SpyderFest...

Jack & Nancy

dtkennney
04-21-2013, 09:27 AM
I recently lost a beloved Yorkie. The hardest thing I ever had to do was carry her into the vet. I love the thought of her being in rainbow heaven.

I am not a spider owner yet, but I must say that all of you who post on this web site seem like fine people. It speaks loudly about the neat people who own Can Am's.

i can't wait to be an owner also.

Bob Denman
04-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Erick,
I had to check in one last time before I hit the road... I couldn't leave without leaving you with a thought.
I'm so sorry to hear that you and your Wife have to go through this.
It's never easy when one of our own has to be "taken care of" like this.
Most of my Life's fondest memories include the deep love and devotion of my best friends along the way.
(Typing through tears...)
I hope that you guys can find a way to celebrate all of the good things that Gracie brought to your lives; don't mourn her...
She'll be waiting by that "Rainbow Bridge" for you both! :shocked: :pray:

bullant12
04-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Erick,
I had to check in one last time before I hit the road... I couldn't leave without leaving you with a thought.
I'm so sorry to hear that you and your Wife have to go through this.
It's never easy when one of our own has to be "taken care of" like this.
Most of my Life's fondest memories include the deep love and devotion of my best friends along the way.
(Typing through tears...)
I hope that you guys can find a way to celebrate all of the good things that Gracie brought to your lives; don't mourn her...
She'll be waiting by that "Rainbow Bridge" for you both! :shocked: :pray:

Thanks Bob... when I read your line
It's never easy when one of our own has to be "taken care of" like this., it reminded me of taking Gracie to the vet Friday: after we call the vet and told us to rush over, Gracie got up, took a drink of water, followed us to the car (with a pit stop before getting in the car), and walked with us to the office. Leira and I were thinking "she'll be ok... just probably something she ate". I cannot stop thinking of her love to us until the end. We are still in shock of what just happened.

Thanks to everyone's kind words and thoughts! Looking forward to seeing you in Spyderfest (or other events)!

bullant12
04-21-2013, 09:49 AM
I recently lost a beloved Yorkie. The hardest thing I ever had to do was carry her into the vet. I love the thought of her being in rainbow heaven.

I am not a spider owner yet, but I must say that all of you who post on this web site seem like fine people. It speaks loudly about the neat people who own Can Am's.

i can't wait to be an owner also.

Sorry about your loss. But you are in great company with us Spyderlovers. Hope you enjoy your future :spyder2: and to see you out on the road!:firstplace:

Daisyjoe
04-21-2013, 02:04 PM
So sorry for your loss. I have a little Boston Terrier, Daisy. I can't imagine a day without her, but I know that end is inevitable. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Now let me go give Daisy another hug.

spydaman60
04-21-2013, 02:16 PM
she was a great dog by the sound of your description. you therefore did the right thing by putting her down! as tough as it is, you are doing them a big favor. they can't talk , even though at times you think you know what they are saying. I am sure she led a good life with you guys and will be at the big spyder ground in the sky awaiting the day you all meet up again! believe me when I say it is probably the toughest thing we have ever had to do, and it has been three times for us. all labs and all living to 14 or 15 years old.:pray:

Jeriatric
04-21-2013, 02:36 PM
The right choice is not the easiest one for sure. I feel for you having to make it.

A not so well, long in the tooth friend, (Roxie) is why I'm not at Spyderfest this year. Family first and she is family.

Sorry for your loss.

MidLifeCrisis
04-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Only dog people can understand the impact these creatures have on our lives. Your among friends here for sure. We've certainly had our share of good byes. I'm in tears reading your story. Thanks for sharing her memory and celebrating her life with us.

JkRbbt
04-21-2013, 03:05 PM
As a friend told me on the passing of our little buddy a couple years ago, the last best gift you can give them is to take their pain and make it your own. Sounds like you did that. She'll be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge! So sorry.

shrubs
04-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Sorry for your loss. Pets are so much more than, well "pets". They are an integral part of our families.

ARtraveler
04-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Pets are family. We love them dearly and surely miss them when they are gone. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Mayhem
04-21-2013, 04:04 PM
I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Heaven for me would be spending eternity with all my little buddies.

lookerjdc
04-21-2013, 04:32 PM
my deepest condolences....

I have been down the road of losing pets a couple of times, and each time i swore to myself not to get another one, but of course I did...

there are no words to explain to a non pet owner what the loss is because its a member of your family, not just some animal in the yard

again, my deepest condolences

Sheep55
04-21-2013, 04:37 PM
We know exactly how you feel as we had just lost our basset last October at the age of 14. It was not easy and we did not think we could get another one, until we found Molly a rescue basset. She is smaller so we are going to take her with this on our travels. Max never like the sound of the motorcycle but Molly does not seem to mind it, that is why we are thinking of getting a Sypder.

The only thing that keeps us going every day and heals the hurt is to think of all the good times we had.

spydaman60
04-21-2013, 04:40 PM
We know exactly how you feel as we had just lost our basset last October at the age of 14. It was not easy and we did not think we could get another one, until we found Molly a rescue basset. She is smaller so we are going to take her with this on our travels. Max never like the sound of the motorcycle but Molly does not seem to mind it, that is why we are thinking of getting a Sypder.

The only thing that keeps us going every day and heals the hurt is to think of all the good times we had.and the new member of the family!!!!:thumbup: that helps a lot, doesn't it?

grumpybob
04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear you best friend had to leave you.

Dentin028
04-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Reading all of your warming posts bring tears to my eyes. There is a hole in my heart that has departed with Gracie. However it gives me relief that she didn't suffer long and that we mad the right decision. Her brother and sister are being a great help as we have to move on in the hopes that it will get easier. They will join us at Maggie Valley.

As of now we are both looking forward to Spyderfest cleaning our spyders and packing.

Thank you all for your sweet and warming thoughts,
Leira

Chupaca
04-21-2013, 11:38 PM
have lost to many in my time and know how it is...so sorry..!! :pray:

vampyregirl
04-22-2013, 10:42 PM
So sorry to hear this. You did the right thing by sending her over the Rainbow Bridge....

I have tears in my eyes remembering my Mollie whom I just had to send that way in January.... Every time I see her sister (who lives next door), I get really bummed.... I still have Rocky (beagle mix like Mollie, but not related biologically) and he's helped in easing that loss.... It still sucks....