PDA

View Full Version : Anyone drive with there high beams /

oe3spyderguy
04-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Anyone drive with there high beams / fog lights on in the day time and do ya think it would do any harm

lookerjdc
04-19-2013, 09:54 PM
yes and its legal for motorcycles in Florida

asp125
04-19-2013, 09:55 PM
I do, during the day only. It's a carry over habit from two wheeled motorcycles. They really DON'T see you.. even on a Spyder.

Chupaca
04-19-2013, 10:02 PM
all bikes have lights on constantly. As a matter of fact you can't turn them off. During the day running hi beams make little difference. Running hi beams and driving/fog light just loads the system. I run driving/fogs when needed and hi beam in low lit areas with no oncoming traffic...!!

NancysToy
04-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Lots of us do. It won't hurt a thing.

Hberninger
04-19-2013, 10:25 PM
. Running hi beams and driving/fog light just loads the system. ...!!

Unless one has extra farkles and lights, I wonder if using hi beams really puts an excessive load on the charging system.

NancysToy
04-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Unless one has extra farkles and lights, I wonder if using hi beams really puts an excessive load on the charging system.
It does not on the Spyder. There is no extra filiment, so the lighting load is the same. It is actuaally a bit higher on low beams, as the shutters are held in position electrically.

cgistudio
04-19-2013, 10:33 PM
My dealership told me to ride with them on :thumbup:in the daytime.

inmate1905
04-19-2013, 10:36 PM
That is what my owners manual suggests.:doorag:

RotaxDuramax
04-19-2013, 11:32 PM
The light doesn't change from low to high, just has a shutter that blocks off the upper portion of the light... no change in power consumption.

Jeriatric
04-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Yes. :doorag:

SpyRyd
04-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Me...high beams all the time during daytime...whenever possible at night.

SpyderAnn01
04-20-2013, 01:24 AM
I always use the high beams during the daytime.

Ga Blue Knight
04-20-2013, 05:20 AM
I use the high beams in the daytime since it does not affect the power use at all. I only use the fog lights in the day time when I am in traffic or on the high way. At night use low beams so not to blind oncoming cars but I always use the fogs to be seen better. If you are running over 4,000 rpm, as you should be, and you have a healthy charging system all should be well.

Bob Denman
04-20-2013, 05:33 AM
I kind of, "split the difference" up here. VERY low traffic density patterns make it somewhat unnecessary. I'll switch to high beams when I'm in traffic... :thumbup:

Cuban Spyder
04-20-2013, 06:31 AM
Yes, I run high beam during the day.

murphybrown
04-20-2013, 06:33 AM
For daytime driving I always have my high beams and fog lights on. :yes:

fyrertuck
04-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Yes I do. High / fog/ driving lights:ohyea:

Bob Denman
04-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Trying to take electrical draw into account; I shut the foglights off until traffic rears it's ugly head... :shocked:

Daisyjoe
04-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Yes, I run high beam during the day.

DITTO!!!

Rockwall
04-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Do whatever you can to make sure you are seen!

Cavman
04-20-2013, 08:20 AM
High beams in traffic. I don't have OEM fog lights on my RT. Vader lights and fender lights always on.

SDM
04-20-2013, 09:14 AM
I run (or should I say the :spyder2:, I don't run!!!) runs with high beams, fog lights, vader and fender lights during the day. Just turn down the high lights at night.

Blue Star
04-20-2013, 10:18 AM
After my last group ride where I was asked if my lights were burnt out since the rider in front of me could not see my headlights I started using my high beams during the day, but I do leave my fog lights on all the time. My mechanic told me to not leave my fog lights on because of the battery draw, but I still do anyway.

ARtraveler
04-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Lights on is the law on major highways here in AK. I always run my low beams but have fogs, and A bar lights in addition.

Pennyrick
04-20-2013, 01:12 PM
After reading all these posts I think we may have changed our mind about running with high beams during the daytime.

We now have owned four RT's and both of us have always run with fog lights on and low beams. Sometimes in my mirrors I have experienced trouble seeing my wife behind me. Her Lava Bronze seems to blend in with surroundings and the lights are not real visible.

We have always been worried about blinding oncoming drivers with lights on high but based on what I see posted here, no one appears to be having any difficulty. I'm all for being more visible, so we will probably flick them on high next time out.

spyryder
04-20-2013, 01:24 PM
All vehicles sold in Canada must have daytime running lights and are usually wired to run on Hi-Beam but at reduced voltage.

kubie
04-20-2013, 03:15 PM
My MSC Instructor told us to allways Run with High beams on in the Day time!! The More visible you are the less chance of being run over!!!! :roflblack:

:doorag:
Kubie

condorflysu
04-20-2013, 03:33 PM
My lights turn on all the time when running, I run with RT-S fogs on all the time...no cop will ticket here for being seen in the daytime..lol Bright yellow Spyder and a florescent lime green helmet... think I cause a bumper rip off crash the other day because 2 driver were looking to hard at me. I'm understanding the rock star comments too now... OMG....

Illinois Boy
04-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Read the manual...:thumbup:

Page 80 in my 2011 Manual states:

To Be More Visible to Other Motorists

Lighting and Reflectors: Make sure that the headlights, running lights and tail lights on your vehicle work properly.

Your vehicle is equipped with reflectors on the fenders, sides, and back. Make sure that all reflectors are clean and not broken or missing.

Use your high beams whenever possible, both day and night.

Use low beams to avoid blinding other motorists at night or when too much light reflects back, such as in fog.

Elembytes
04-20-2013, 05:57 PM
MSF-course instructors said, "High beams on daytime!" So I run high beams on in daytime along with fog lights on my RTS- and fender LED's. The more visible you are---the better- PERIOD!

:opps:;)

Sny
04-20-2013, 08:49 PM
When I take a group out I try and remind everyone to turn their high beams on. Without, it's difficult to see them behind in the mirrors.

It makes a pronounced difference when leading rides, so I'm positive it works wonders for visibility from the front to other vehicles on the road.

And, as others have pointed out, there is no downside as the headlights on Spyders are single filament.

CMA Cowboy
04-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Another reason I ride with them on high as much as possible is the lights don't have the blue flash some spyders do when on high beam. I've had people pull over both during the day and night.

flaggerphil
04-20-2013, 11:54 PM
I always ride with high beams on during the day and also did when I was on two wheels.

CurtG
04-21-2013, 01:18 PM
We seem to be afflicted by a significant number of don't give a :cus: drivers. I figure I'll give them every chance to see me coming. I recently added the center brake/run light from Custom Dynamics, mud flap light, side fender lights and the LED tip light replacement. Some of my friends think I'm trying to turn it into a Christmas tree. Maybe so but they see me. My local dealer did all the light work except the tip LEDs when they were installing the trailer hitch.

Ride safe,

SpyderWolf
04-21-2013, 07:27 PM
If anyone ever hits my Spyder, I want to be able to take pics and videos to the judge and tell him to take their license away because they are obviously blind. :thumbup:

spydaman60
04-21-2013, 07:38 PM
I ryde with high beams all the time, due to the heavy deer density around here.:yikes: only turn them to low with oncoming traffic at night!

Sonrisa
04-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Anyone drive with there high beams / fog lights on in the day time and do ya think it would do any harm

I always drive with high beams. I want cagers to see me ALWAYS.

boborgera
04-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Only when i want to annoy someone, Or flick them on as a waring, IE, Deer in the road ahead.
40+ years of riding bikes i never had the feeling that i had to ride with high beams to be seen.
Which besides being rude, its also illegal. I take it for granted that no matter what your riding ,Car, truck, bike or trike, No one sees you anyway.!! So i drive accordingly with out blinding every one else on the road...

DocRags
04-21-2013, 08:52 PM
We drive with the high beams and fog lights on during the day, but turn off the high beams when it starts to get dark. Haven't had any issues with the battery.

SPYD1
04-21-2013, 08:57 PM
I use as much light as I can at all times to be visible. That's why I spent the cash to Farkle it up.

flaggerphil
04-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Only when i want to annoy someone, Or flick them on as a waring, IE, Deer in the road ahead.
40+ years of riding bikes i never had the feeling that i had to ride with high beams to be seen.
Which besides being rude, its also illegal. I take it for granted that no matter what your riding ,Car, truck, bike or trike, No one sees you anyway.!! So i drive accordingly with out blinding every one else on the road...

Why would riding with high beams on during the day be rude?

MrLooney
04-22-2013, 02:41 AM
I for one am in full agreement to having lights on for my safety reasons. Honestly I was not aware of the difference between low beam and high beam in the day time. I have tried to make this a practice since the 70's in both cage and 2 wheelers.

BUT here in Vietnam and in China I have had people come off the side walk to turn off my Moto lights (they get slapped quickly) !! The think they are doing me a favor by turning off my lights. Because of language barriers I try to sign language that I want them to see me!!

No Clue !!

HERE'S YOUR SIGN !!

Motorcycledave
04-22-2013, 09:58 AM
My lights are on all the time day and night and head lights ore on high
I have been doing that for about 45 years....

Bob Ledford
04-22-2013, 11:40 AM
What a hot topic this turned into.

My normal run mode is all lights off unless required by law. As for daytime visibility besides our yellar vests and the DRL requirement nobody has tried to run over except one DA in a minivan who did not look to his right before coming right but a blast of horn got his co-riders attention .

As for running high beams in the daylight I do not do that as I have had on coming traffic flash their high beams at me in the day light as it is. I will be giving the fog lamps idea a try but I am doubtful that I will detect a marked change in Molly Blue Hairs driving habits. Like the statement one gentlemen made "ride like your invisible and no one see's you at all." When I was commuting 200 miles a day round trip between Daytona Beach and Jacksonville FL 5 to 7 days a week via I-95 and I-295. I never had a problem with traffic. But I sure saw my share of DA drivers getting dressed, shaving, putting on make up, brushing their teeth to texting and reading the newspaper or a paperback.

inmate1905
05-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Lights on high beams and lots of add on lights. All On ALL THE TIME.

Mazo EMS2
05-30-2015, 06:37 PM

Wow, what a resurrection.....Absolutely, with both on. Make yourself be seen. The brighter the better during the day.

tigerdr
05-30-2015, 06:46 PM
High visibility had no price. Security first.

So I use high-beam on daytime. Quebec law will be modified this fall to enforce that rule for motorcyclist to always use high-beam on daytime. Meantime, police officer don't intercept those using high-beam or white led add-on in front of the bike.

Orange Spyder Man
05-30-2015, 06:57 PM
I do most of the time.. i'll rather be alive and illegal.. than dead & right..

osm

dlby
05-30-2015, 07:12 PM
Well
Everyone i have ridden behind says they (lose) me quite often
No point of reference without lights

On high beams not an issue
See me fine

Fogs, you bet i do (see 1st half of post)

ARtraveler
05-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Update for me:

We drive with high beams on in the daytime all the time. This avoids the "flashing light syndrome" which causes the low beams to appear to be flashing if you hit a bump or a dip in the road.

I had more flashbacks from other drivers with low beams than I do with the high beams.

We don't drive in the dark here, but it would be different for night time operation.

Fog lights--on a bright sunny day--they do no good. Cloudy days, they show up well.

13janice13
05-30-2015, 10:03 PM
We always drive with the brights on - it is safer to be seen!

CanAmChris
05-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Lights on high beams and lots of add on lights. All On ALL THE TIME.

Your lights have resurrected this thread from two years ago!

My take, ATGATT and ATLATT

Light is my friend.

Dudley
05-30-2015, 10:57 PM

I always use my high beams in the day time. I have for almost 50 years. Never hurt anyone I know. Fog lights in the fog.

SPYDERGUY1
05-30-2015, 11:44 PM
ALWAY'S ON THE HIGHWAY, not in town tho.

SpyderAnn01
05-31-2015, 01:00 AM
Go on a group ride and take a look behind you. There will always be someone without their high beams on and they are usually very hard to see. I believe that the owners manual even tells you to ride with your high beams on during the day.

Empty Pockets
05-31-2015, 07:46 AM
Hi beams during the day low at night is what we do

jaherbst
05-31-2015, 08:32 AM

My thoughts exactly. Why piss everyone off or blind them with your High Beams during the day. I usually lead and hate it when people behind have there High Beams on and blind me through the mirrors. Fogs on on two lane roads. 1 million + miles and it has always worked for me for two or three wheels. I think it is excessive and annoying to ride with your high beams on all the time. I do not want oncoming drivers to be blinded by my lights. There could and will be oncoming undesirable circumstances. Anyway give it some thought.

Jack

Highwayman2013
05-31-2015, 09:41 AM
High beams all the time during the day. No additional draw at least on the 2012 RT. The shutters are up to let more light out and then it doesn't look like a cop coming up behind you.

dlby
05-31-2015, 10:53 AM
I could be very wrong

But i just dont see how high beams in day time would hurt on going traffic

Please enlighten me
Maybe i am missing something
If so
I may have to find alternatives because low beams are dangerous as i have been told over and over i can not be seen

missouriboy
06-01-2015, 02:51 PM
No, you aren't wrong. Observe that about 90% of the respondents here say HIGH beams in daytime.

If it isn't really 90%, then you could make a POLL out of this and find out. But it's certainly a good majority.

WEB-WVR
06-01-2015, 03:55 PM
DITTO!!!

Double Ditto !! :thumbup::thumbup:

Deanna777
06-01-2015, 04:23 PM
I ride with my high beams, fog lights, head lights during the day/and in the morning (@ 4:30 am) when I go to work. We have Moose, Deer and any other critters that might be out in early morning hours. I want to be visible on my :spyder2:. In Vermont the cars, trucks have daytime running lights.

Also, with the music on so people hear me, and know that I am around. Safety Deanna

dlby
06-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Im all in
High beams & classic rock music baby

Late 60s & 70s Rock on

MercerLake
06-01-2015, 06:37 PM

More lighting is better. Anything you can do to make yourself seen is good. You'd be amazed at how many drivers will pull out in front of an Ambulance or Fire Engine with their lights and sirens going full blast, a mere motorcycle isn't seen either!!:yikes:

jaherbst
06-02-2015, 12:21 AM
I could be very wrong

But i just dont see how high beams in day time would hurt on going traffic

Please enlighten me
Maybe i am missing something
If so
I may have to find alternatives because low beams are dangerous as i have been told over and over i can not be seen

I think the key word here is courtesy.

Jack

jaherbst
06-02-2015, 12:26 AM
No, you aren't wrong. Observe that about 90% of the respondents here say HIGH beams in daytime.

If it isn't really 90%, then you could make a POLL out of this and find out. But it's certainly a good majority.

Have you tried maybe painting your Spyder "electric green and wearing a fluffy pink outfit" those pesky cars will surely take notice!

Jack

SpyderAnn01
06-02-2015, 12:50 AM
My thoughts exactly. Why piss everyone off or blind them with your High Beams during the day. I usually lead and hate it when people behind have there High Beams on and blind me through the mirrors. Fogs on on two lane roads. 1 million + miles and it has always worked for me for two or three wheels. I think it is excessive and annoying to ride with your high beams on all the time. I do not want oncoming drivers to be blinded by my lights. There could and will be oncoming undesirable circumstances. Anyway give it some thought.

Jack

Jack when you are leading a group and you look behind you the only bikes you can see are the ones that have their high beams on. And being visible is the whole point of riding with your high beams on.

As I mentioned earlier even the Owners Manual tells you to ride with your high beams even during the day (See page 90 of the 2014 manual) Also, this is the recommendation of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Peter Aawen
06-02-2015, 12:51 AM
Have you tried maybe painting your Spyder "electric green and wearing a fluffy pink outfit" those pesky cars will surely take notice!

Jack

Didn't 'paint' it in quite those colours, but wrapped it in Dayglo Green & wore a Hi-Vis Orange suit, and within 30 mins counted more than 5 vehicles that pulled out in front without leaving sufficient room &/or taking any notice!! :yikes:

So we tried Hi-Vis Yellow with a Dayglo Green suit.... same result!! Even Flashing/strobing white or orange lights, or headlights on Hi-Beam doesn't always do it!! :shocked:

The only thing that seems to work every time is having a vehicle with Blue & Red lights mounted & flashing on its roof driving very closely behind.... :sour:

The thing that gets me was that some of the cage drivers looked directly at me, made eye contact, often smiled (I suspect at the sight of a spyder) and then STILL pulled out in front when there simply wasn't enough room for me to avoid without taking fairly substantial evasive action!! :mad:

I guess all we can do is ride as if everyone else out there actually IS out to get us!! ;)

dlby
06-02-2015, 02:55 AM
I think maybe Jousting lances are in order
[emoji2]

CapNCrunch
06-02-2015, 09:57 AM

I always run with high beams on in the daytime. I want to be seen!
CapNCrunch : =)

Lew L
06-02-2015, 10:26 AM
THEY DON'T SEE US!!
Used the Stribel on my valkyrie yestereday in the parking lot when some dolt pulled out right in front of me. Literaly scared him!!!

Kaos

PS: All the lights-All the time

bronzeflex42
06-02-2015, 12:01 PM
I always drive with my fog lights on and my low beams come on automatic. I only drive with the high beams at night on those dark country roads.

mxz600
06-02-2015, 12:39 PM
I think the key word here is courtesy.

Jack
No, the key word here is safety.

The way the lights are designed on the Spyder, you better ride with your brights on or it can appear to oncoming traffic that your lights are not on at all. On smooth asphalt your lights on dim will seem to be off. If the asphalt has expansion humps it will appear to oncoming traffic that you're flashing your lights and that to me is more annoying than brights.

Do not, and I repeat do not listen to Jack, for he does not know of what he speaks.

yamahog
06-02-2015, 01:39 PM
ATLATT I prefer as much visibility as i can get, no one seems to mind day or night, I rarely get flashed.Much better than that silly ATGATT He He!!:doorag:

O i'm going to get burned now :yes::yes:

wyliec
06-02-2015, 02:28 PM
HID headlights high beam all the time, except at night with approaching traffic. When driving in Oro Valley, Arizona, I make a special effort to have the high beams on when approaching traffic at night.

jaherbst
06-02-2015, 02:43 PM
HID headlights high beam all the time, except at night with approaching traffic. When driving in Oro Valley, Arizona, I make a special effort to have the high beams on when approaching traffic at night.

Good Luck!

Jack

jaherbst
06-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Jack when you are leading a group and you look behind you the only bikes you can see are the ones that have their high beams on. And being visible is the whole point of riding with your high beams on.

As I mentioned earlier even the Owners Manual tells you to ride with your high beams even during the day (See page 90 of the 2014 manual) Also, this is the recommendation of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Aw phooey Ann! Many states Evan have laws against driving with brights on approaching on coming traffic in daylight hours also.
Courtesy and common sense should rule here regardless.

As far as the "manuel" goes, always question authority. It has saved my life around the world many times. Trust but Verify.

Jack

dlby
06-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Once again I will say
With most any other bike I have had
(About 20) it was not as n issue

But with the shutter on the Spyder I have had three good trustworthy experienced friends tell me to (turn my lights on) when I was behind them

So no more dims during the day
IVE nevrr had anyone wave yell honk etc as we have used brights during daylight

SpyderAnn01
06-02-2015, 11:44 PM
Aw phooey Ann! Many states Evan have laws against driving with brights on approaching on coming traffic in daylight hours also.
Courtesy and common sense should rule here regardless.

As far as the "manuel" goes, always question authority. It has saved my life around the world many times. Trust but Verify.

Jack

Let us agree to disagree. But you should probably go to see the eye doctor as you clearly are having vision problems.

missouriboy
06-02-2015, 11:51 PM
In a cage, low beams all day. At night, hi/lo depending on oncoming traffic.

On the Spyder, hi beams all day. At night, just like in the cage.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-03-2015, 12:27 AM
I just did a Google search on high beams in daylight. Guess what? There is no better consensus one way or the other on any other discussion forum than there is right here! :) Those who claim using brights during the day is illegal are usually referring to laws that obviously were written to require use of headlights at night. Most of those laws were written before daytime use of headlights became common. Logic tells you bright headlights at night are going to be more annoying than during the day because of the contrast between the light and its surroundings.

As I see it common sense has to rule. If your bike has a very high intensity headlight that is aimed somewhat high then probably you better keep it on low beam during the day. But if your headlight, like mine is most of the time, aimed low and/or is not super bright, then leave it on high all the time during the day. In fact mine is aimed so low I keep it on high even at night. I know, I need to adjust them but I don't have enough dark hours when I've got the bike out to do an accurate aiming job.

With the newer LED headlights, like the Harley LED headlights, which cast a very intense beam straight on, this is an issue we need to pay more attention to. Even in daylight those beams can be worse than just annoying. They can be blinding.

Jeriatric
06-03-2015, 01:15 AM
And if it is against any states law, it must not be enforced. Or, many of us would be crying about the ticket we got - for trying to stay alive.

jaherbst
06-03-2015, 09:29 AM
I just did a Google search on high beams in daylight. Guess what? There is no better consensus one way or the other on any other discussion forum than there is right here! :) Those who claim using brights during the day is illegal are usually referring to laws that obviously were written to require use of headlights at night. Most of those laws were written before daytime use of headlights became common. Logic tells you bright headlights at night are going to be more annoying than during the day because of the contrast between the light and its surroundings.

As I see it common sense has to rule. If your bike has a very high intensity headlight that is aimed somewhat high then probably you better keep it on low beam during the day. But if your headlight, like mine is most of the time, aimed low and/or is not super bright, then leave it on high all the time during the day. In fact mine is aimed so low I keep it on high even at night. I know, I need to adjust them but I don't have enough dark hours when I've got the bike out to do an accurate aiming job.

With the newer LED headlights, like the Harley LED headlights, which cast a very intense beam straight on, this is an issue we need to pay more attention to. Even in daylight those beams can be worse than just annoying. They can be blinding.

A good common sense approach. If you are two up and do not increase the rear shock setting up you are probably aiming higher than normal and annoying oncoming traffic. Same goes for motorcycles, trucks with load or towing a trailer and hitch weight lowers the rear of the car/truck thus aiming the bright lights too high. Blinding oncoming traffic could have severe consequences. I know a few bad boys who will swerve toward you or continue flashing there lights at you if you annoy them with your brights on. Nothing here has been said about fog/driving lights. Leaving them on will do the same thing for you and they are not aimed as high as the bright headlights. It forms somewhat of a triangular pattern which is recommend by the AMA.

Jack

ARtraveler
06-03-2015, 11:21 AM
RE: Fog Lights (OEM). I made mention way early in the thread.

On bright, sunny days, the fog lights do not seem to show up any better than the fender lights from the front. I am not thinking the fog lights give a lot of benefit in that specific situation.

Bring out the clouds, and the whole front of the :spyder2: seems to be illuminated with fog lights added.

We usually turn off the fogs in the bright sun, but at all other times, we run with all the lights on.

Have added the bumpskid with LED's and the whole bottom of the front is also lit up well now. Mine are hardwired and run all the time.

We now have 9 lighting sources on the front of the 2014.
2 headlight, 2 bright intensity lights (by the headlights), 2 fog lights, 2 fender lights, and the LED bumpskid across the front. Six sources on the 2011. No bright intensity lights or bumpskid.

Don't get much chance to ride in the dark--but know that the :spyder2: is lit like a Christmas tree from the front.

retirednick
06-03-2015, 02:02 PM
My lunch hour just ended so i am not supposed to be here but what the hey, High Beams and fog lights on during the day and what ever it takes to get home in the dark

HIspyder
06-03-2015, 11:08 PM
My preference is to run high beams and fogs on 100% during the day.

vrider
06-09-2015, 10:10 PM
High beams like the manual says and fog logs all day. Night just like a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flaggerphil
06-10-2015, 03:34 AM
Anyone know what states have laws against riding a motorcycle with the high beams on during the day? Personally, I've yet to run across one...at least where it's enforced.

inmate1905
08-15-2015, 08:37 PM
The owners manual says to fun with High Beams all the time. I do and does not seem to cause a problem. Visibility is the key to being safe.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

thereverend
08-15-2015, 08:56 PM

The time unless it turns dark

900Dave
08-15-2015, 09:04 PM
I just completed a 3 day 1200 mile ride and here is what I noticed the most. I had my High beams on the entire time except in the evening when the sun set. We did not ride at night.
1. OTHER drivers could see me!
2. See number 1

At intersections with cross traffic or other drivers coming toward me I felt like they all knew I was there. I also noticed when aproaching vehicles from behind on the 4 lane they were quick to notice that I was aproaching and the quickly moved over.

For me high beams ALL day ALL the time.

coz
08-15-2015, 09:38 PM
During the day. Cars rarely pull out in front of me.

ingramwc
08-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Yes, all day!!!! Seems to help being seen. I've had the Spyder 3 months and no one has turned in front of me, yet. :yikes:

Desert Spyder
08-15-2015, 10:52 PM
Uh, only all the time when I'm driving solo. In group settings I have the tailgunner with the brights on.

Bfromla
08-16-2015, 12:36 AM
I always drive with high beams. I want cagers to see me ALWAYS.
As recommended by the MSF! http://www.msf-usa.org I do not have shutters fyi (2013 STL)if that is the concern.

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 01:12 AM
Every smart motorcyclist rides with their high beams on during the day. It's just common sense. Anything you can do to increase your visibility.

The only time I turn mine down is at night, or when I'm riding in a group. Otherwise, the high beams stay on.

Pam

missouriboy
08-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Even in a group, the two-wheelers ahead advised me to run brights so they could track me better.

I guess, depending on the intensity/aim of your own lights, ask those leading you what they prefer you to do.

fencepost
08-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Yes, always it does add to visibility.