PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Handle Bar Grips for the Spyder?

Spyder#60
05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
The grips that come with the stock Spyder are a little on the small side and you really need gel filled gloves for a comfortable ride when your riding any distance. Anyone know of any aftermarket metric grips that work with the Spyder?

Thanks!

A.J. and Jennifer

www.AJandJennifer.Info

dltang
05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
The grips that come with the stock Spyder are a little on the small side and you really need gel filled gloves for a comfortable ride when your riding any distance. Anyone know of any aftermarket metric grips that work with the Spyder?

Thanks!

A.J. and Jennifer

www.AJandJennifer.Info

I can't help you with the grips but welcome to SpyderLovers

pphantom538
05-13-2008, 10:26 PM
welcome to the site from central nj

Danimal
05-13-2008, 10:55 PM
The spyder bar is 7/8"..... so I don't see why you would need metric.

I also want some gel grips.....

Lamonster
05-14-2008, 06:35 AM
I had a set made for now. These are just prototype grips but they are 1" longer than stock and 1.5" in diameter. Plus they match my pegs.

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/3/7219454042.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic/7818027)http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/3/7219454078.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic/7818026)

NancysToy
05-14-2008, 07:12 AM
The stock grips are identical to the ones on my BMW R1100RT. Suit me fine. Different strokes for different folks. Find something that suits you, there are lots of choices.
-Scotty

SpyderMark
05-14-2008, 07:41 AM

I'm guessing it's just your right hand that gets uncomfortable; you can relax your grip on the left handle, and even take your hand completely off it to keep the blood flowing to your hand. But you can't take your right hand off the throttle.

If I'm right, have you considered a device such as the Cramp Buster or other throttle lock? A Cramp Buster can be had for around ten bucks, easily attaches to the throttle and allows the rider to relax the grip enough to keep blood flowing to the hand.

Regards,

Mark

Danimal
05-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Throttlemeister works great for me..... but I still want some gel-grips. I have carpal tunnel issues....

TJ_Spyder
05-15-2008, 11:43 PM
The issue I have with the grips is the grooves pinch my skin when I don't wear gloves. I also agree they are a bit small in diameter. I used to use foam grips and think they will do the trick.

I do use a crampbuster (the wide version) and love it.

flyjake
05-16-2008, 04:27 AM
I just replaced my grips with Pro-Grips 601 Scooter grips ($11.00). They have a raised portion for the palm and have a softer gel core. After trimming the ends off the grips, it took no more than 15 minutes to install them and I like them much better. (I took the original grips off by sliding a thin screwdriver in between the grip and the bar, squirting some WD-40 inside and sliding the screwdriver around until the original grip slipped right off.)

NancysToy
05-16-2008, 07:24 AM
The issue I have with the grips is the grooves pinch my skin when I don't wear gloves. I also agree they are a bit small in diameter. I used to use foam grips and think they will do the trick.

I do use a crampbuster (the wide version) and love it.

I realize that you are less likely to fall off a Spyder, but I implore you not to ride anything without gloves. Of all your protective equipment, they are number two, second only to your helmet. When you fall, your immediate instinct is to put down your hand. Road rash of the hand is extremely painful, and does not heal readily. Long recovery time, and often lasting disabilities from damage to the exposed nerves, ligaments, and tendons. In addition, nothing hurts worse than taking a June bug or love bug in the hand at speed. Very distracting, at very least. If hot weather is a concern, there are perforated, and even fingerless gloves. For more protection, there are gauntlet gloves or gel palm versions. No matter what you do with the grips, wear some gloves while riding...please!
-Scotty

sabunim5
05-16-2008, 09:45 AM
+1 to Scotty's reply. All the gear all the time (ATTATG). :bigthumbsup:
sabunim5 :spyder:

Danimal
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
"When you fall, your immediate instinct is to put down your hand."

Yup... this is a basic natural instinct that is difficult to de-program... but if can find a way to de-program yourself NOT to stick your hands out during such a situation... it just may save you some day.

Tucking into a fetal-like protective ball is safer... if you can program yourself to fall in that manner.

I always wear gloves... just doesn't feel right ryding without them!

pphantom538
05-16-2008, 02:47 PM
great advice Scotty

Star Cruiser
05-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I realize that you are less likely to fall off a Spyder, but I implore you not to ride anything without gloves. Of all your protective equipment, they are number two, second only to your helmet. When you fall, your immediate instinct is to put down your hand. Road rash of the hand is extremely painful, and does not heal readily. Long recovery time, and often lasting disabilities from damage to the exposed nerves, ligaments, and tendons. In addition, nothing hurts worse than taking a June bug or love bug in the hand at speed. Very distracting, at very least. If hot weather is a concern, there are perforated, and even fingerless gloves. For more protection, there are gauntlet gloves or gel palm versions. No matter what you do with the grips, wear some gloves while riding...please!
-Scotty

That is WHY this is the best forum around...Sound Advice for all, Novice to Expert

bjt
05-16-2008, 07:01 PM
That is WHY this is the best forum around...Sound Advice for all, Novice to Expert

:agree: :spyder: :bigthumbsup:

jeuchler
05-18-2008, 06:57 AM
OK, I've only owned 3 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Harley, and this Spyder--

I've NEVER owned a Crampbuster.

I read the posts from you folks, went to their website and ordered one wide Crampbuster (my lovely bride did enjoy the product name but wondered how it worked---"Not for that, Honey...")

I got impatient, drove three towns away to the motorcycle (not Spyder accessory, unfortunately) dealer and they had one wide Crampbuster, which I bought (after chatting up their service department about the Spyder sitting out in their parking lot, of course), figuring I'd have a pair for the ryde to downtown Canada.

I installed it ("Installed." Funny. They should put a description in the package stating "Step 1: Put Crampbuster on bar. Installation time: 1 second.)

This was an AWESOME recommendation. Been riding since 1979, and I know I've gotten fatigued plenty.

Thank you, thank you again everyone! :bigthumbsup:

bjt
05-18-2008, 07:48 AM
... Crampbuster.

I installed it ("Installed." Funny. They should put a description in the package stating "Step 1: Put Crampbuster on bar. Installation time: 1 second.)

Yea, I had read about and seen these at a few of the local bike shops and finally broke down and bought one (around $10) after dltang installed her Throttlemeister and kept raving about it. I started thinking that maybe I might want some type of throttle lock for the longer trips but I wasn't ready to spend the $150 or so for the Throttlemeister. We tried a few of the other throttle locks that my dealer had but they weren't designed for the Spyder and wouldn't really fit well with the way the Spyder's throttle / handlebar controls were laid out. So the salesperson grabs the Crampbuster and said that a lot of guys had bought these for various bikes and really liked them. I stuck it on there, thought it wasn't bad and for $10, I would give it a try. Well by the time I rode home with it, I loved it and decided that it was a must have accessory for me. :bigthumbsup:

Spyder#60
05-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome aboard!

Danimal -> Geez, I automatically assumed metric - never checked!

Lamonster -> Nice custom grips and pegs!

And thanks all for the good ideas and info ....

A.J. and Jennifer

www.AJandJennifer.Info

Spydroe
05-18-2008, 05:54 PM
A set of foam grab-on grips which cost about six bucks work and feel great.