PDA

View Full Version : Cargo pockets where the speaker grills are

Sny
04-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Someone mentioned that they saw a picture of an RT without an audio system where the owner had made little cargo areas where the speakers go.

Seeing how difficult it is to get a decent tank bag on an ST I thought this might be an idea.

Without the audio system and speakers, how deep is that area?

Obviously this would be some interesting custom work but it might be worth it.

Bob Denman
04-19-2013, 06:42 AM
This sounds interesting...
Waiting to see what the possibilities are! :bbq::bbq:

2 Cruysyn
04-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Seeing how difficult it is to get a decent tank bag on an ST...

Have you looked into RKA for a tank bag (http://www.rka-luggage.com/A14%20Photo%20Gallery/19%20Spyder/CANAM.html)?

Chupaca
04-19-2013, 12:52 PM
have done this many time on cars and bikes. Don't have RT handy to look at but don't see a problem. Could check with a custom car seat makers for a form fitted leather pocket..!!:dontknow: Good luck..!!

Sny
04-26-2013, 06:33 PM
ok. The speakers look to be 5 1/4" standard sizes. So I looked around for something 5.25" around... a CD?

Yup. It fit... but left some slack. So I put the retaining ends from the CD stack in there which were a little bigger just to see.

The remaining space isn't much, but it's better than nothing. And those make for wasted space elsewise.

Next problem, how to open it. Cutting the tabs off the cover will stop any scratching from attempting to pop them off... and crashing from attempting to do so on the highway ;)

I noticed that if the bottom right tab were a hinge it opens without interference.

Now to find a hinge that will work in that spot... not going to be easy at all.

Maybe magnets? A tether? a cloth/nylon hinge? I have no idea.

Most of my self made mods look a lot like they were made with a claw hammer and explosives.

moby
05-13-2013, 05:53 PM
cool idea,,, I think chupaca has a good idea! maybe a velcro peace of leather or some thing water proof. my hacks are also something to be desired!! If anyone comes up with something please post!! Good luck!!

JKMSPYDER
05-13-2013, 06:47 PM
I have an ST-S and could sure use more storage. Please keep us posted.

Bob Denman
05-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Sny,
:clap: :thumbup:
Could velcro be used as a closure, or isn't there enough of a lip to work with?

NoLmtz
02-06-2015, 02:16 PM
I'm looking to do the exact same thing. I'm thinking of using a piano hinge using epoxy. To keep it shut I'm thinking of a keyed lock or a magnetic lock.

Question: in the event I screw it up does anyone know how to get a replacement cover?

Also, any updates from anyone doing this?