PDA

View Full Version : Bad Vibes

ElZorroRides
04-18-2013, 03:36 PM
I have around 1100 miles on my ST-L and every one of them so far has been really allot of fun. I'm happy with my purchase and the modding is in full swing while getting ready to head to Spyder Fest.

What I don't understand is why these bikes seem to vibrate more than really any other bike I've owned or ridden. I've had Sport Bikes, Harleys, ridden various Touring Bikes and none seemed to vibrate anything like these Spyders do. The wifes RT is the same way. I don't mean that it's so bad that I can't stand it. It's just that the ROTAX seems rather rough and then theres the vibes that vary by certian RPM's. It's like the harmonics were never really worked out of the design.

It does seems to smooth out around 55-5600 RPM's but then it comes back to some degree at other RPM's and that didn't seem to be the case while riding other bikes. Could it be the motor mounts aren't up to snuff? Is it a lack of stiffness in the frame? is the motor not balanced right? A combination of these things? I hope that in the coming years and models they work harder at making these bikes as smooth as glass or at least as smooth as the Kawi's, Honda's, Yamaha's and even Harley's I ridden over the years. IMO...... Thought's?

Mad Mike
04-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Thought the same thing at one time...Drive belt tension will need to be adjusted. It always seemed to me like a "Harmonic resonance" i.e. Motor r.p.m., vibration, and other things I may seem to know but do NOT.. Simply put, due to the fact that the Can-Am has a HUGE Belt, at certain rpm/gear/speed, this vibration will occur. Belt adjustment will help a lot. Do NOT OVER TIGHTEN. You Will REGRET It if you dooooo. I'm considering an after market tensioner myself.. Also, don't be afraid of High RPM. ROTAX can handle it..

Good Luck!

vtspyder
04-18-2013, 04:02 PM
I consider the Spyder a "Canadian Rattle (vibration) Trap".:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: I still just can't imagine riding one of these more than a couple hundred miles in a day. You think they vibrate when everything is right? Wait 'till you get a pair of warped rotors on the front (like I currently have, waiting for a set of EBC's to arrive)! You'll really love it then!:roflblack:

jerpinoy
04-18-2013, 04:38 PM
JMO BRP should give us free belt tensioner But I'm not holding my breath.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack ::roflblack: