PDA

View Full Version : leaking oil

Questions
04-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Hey all, I've been busy the last couple days. I plasti dipped my windshield the the other day and I gotta say I love the way it looks. Today as I was cleaning it up I noticed my bottom panel (where your feet go) that there was oil on it. Upon further inspection noticed it was leaking underneath. I had it serviced less than a week ago and am wondering if maybe the didn't tighten something up, or are the spyders prone to leaking:gaah:

Questions
04-18-2013, 01:30 PM
If you have an SE5 it could be leaking around the filter cover.
Check and take back to dealer.

I have 12 RS-S SM5, do you think it could be the same problem.

NancysToy
04-18-2013, 01:48 PM
If you can safely get it to your dealer, top off the oil and get it there. Better yet, have them come get it on a trailer. They screwed it up, they should have to fix it on their dime! JMHO

StanProff
04-18-2013, 03:10 PM
I have 12 RS-S SM5, do you think it could be the same problem.

When changing my oil and pulling the tank plug on the bottom there will be oil that gets on the frame under the bike.. Most of it does go to the pan but it still makes a mess on the frame and no matter how much I wipe it there will still be some drips now and then as things heat up and such. maybe this is what it is doing? I'd look under it and check to see if it is actually driping from the plug, filter housing or simply wet on the frame. Also be sure to check the oil level if you take it anywhere. Hope it is just redisue oil looking for a place to go. (a couple of car ramps make this inspection easy if you have them).

Questions
04-18-2013, 03:17 PM
When changing my oil and pulling the tank plug on the bottom there will be oil that gets on the frame under the bike.. Most of it does go to the pan but it still makes a mess on the frame and no matter how much I wipe it there will still be some drips now and then as things heat up and such. maybe this is what it is doing? I'd look under it and check to see if it is actually driping from the plug, filter housing or simply wet on the frame. Also be sure to check the oil level if you take it anywhere. Hope it is just redisue oil looking for a place to go. (a couple of car ramps make this inspection easy if you have them).

Just pulled the left panels off, all the oil seems to be in the area of the oil drain. I wiped it down and been letting it run to see if there is any more buildup but for now that seems to be what happened

Chupaca
04-18-2013, 04:23 PM
clean all the area...spray arid extra dry, which dries in a white powder and smells good, run the engine and if there is a leak it will leave a trail clearly visable... Good luck..!!:dontknow:

SpyRyd
04-19-2013, 04:22 AM

Someone (don't remember who) posted awhile back about a "trick" to keep the oil off the frame/metal plate beneath the oil tank when pulling the plug. Get a piece of plastic tubing (1" inside; 1 1/4" outside dimensions) from Lowes or any other big box home repair store, cut off about 2" and stick it in the hole in the plate beneath the drain plug. Oil flows through the plastic tube and into your drain pan without getting any on your Spyder. I tried it on my last DIY oil change and it works!