PDA

View Full Version : Initial 600 mile Service

Techno-Spyder
04-18-2013, 01:35 AM
So I take my Spyder to the dealers to have the 600 mile service carried out, when I get home I decide to check the oil level to make sure all is OK.
I take off the service panel and I see only a small mark where the mechanic has wiped around the filler on the oil tank, no other marks anywhere.
So on closer inspection, no other panels had been removed, the oil drain plug from the tank, the oil drain plug from the engine, the oil tank strainer, oil filter housing were still covered in undisturbed dust and dirt.
I contact the dealer and tell them what I found, the answer I got back was:

From past experience we never find problems with the items you mention and therefore in the interest of keeping costs down for the owner we do not remove them, but use an oil siphon pump to extract the oil.
If you wanted these items done we would have to charge more. However we did a diagnostic check and no faults were found.

So how do they know there was no metal particles on the engine drain magnet, I could have a mechanical problem developing that I will find when it goes bang, so much for BRP's service schedule, this dealer ignores it.

The fight goes on :banghead:

Tierhog
04-18-2013, 01:42 AM
Do your own maintenance. Oil changes, radiator flush, plugs and wires, air cleaner, etc are much easier than some describe. Im not a mechanic or engineer. It isnt rocket science. You have a ton of experience here. Youtube videos galore.. From trusted members no less. Save the right mechanic (not that one) for buds, bearings, and troubleshooting sensor issues.. Just my. 02:)

Techno-Spyder
04-18-2013, 02:10 AM
Do your own maintenance. Oil changes, radiator flush, plugs and wires, air cleaner, etc are much easier than some describe. Im not a mechanic or engineer. It isnt rocket science. You have a ton of experience here. Youtube videos galore.. From trusted members no less. Save the right mechanic (not that one) for buds, bearings, and troubleshooting sensor issues.. Just my. 02:)

Yep your'e right, UK warranty law was changed recently, If you are a qualified engineer (which I am) and use genuine OEM parts, you cannot void a warranty. This was to stop dealerships from having a monopoly.
My only concern would be the diagnostic check and service reset carried out by the dealer at time of service and the cost of the BRP BUDS is a little too high.

NancysToy
04-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Too bad you can't find another dealer. Your sump never gets drained, and your magnet and strainer weren't checked and cleaned. That does not meet BRP specs, and could jeopardize your warranty. It also leaves a pint or more of old oil remaining to contaminate your new oil. I'm not a fan of shops that think they are smarter than the engineers.

Wiredux
04-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Dealers like this should be flogged.

Netminder
04-18-2013, 09:09 AM
That is just not right! And I bet it happens more then we think. :yikes:

3 wheeler
04-18-2013, 02:21 PM
This is exactly why I do my own service, I just don't trust someone else working on my machine. If I were you I would drain that oil back out and do it the right way. Who knows what they put it there and it has to come back out anyway because they never drained the crankcase, or cleaned the oil screen. It also sounds like they didn't check the belt tension or all the other things they should be checking.

GuitarPlayer
04-18-2013, 02:29 PM
I think I'd get BRP involved. You shouldn't have to be treated like this. BRP should know what's going on here.

ARtraveler
04-18-2013, 02:38 PM
:agree: with all the above. Shoddy service indeed!

Chupaca
04-18-2013, 02:39 PM
happens allot. True (this from working bike shops for too many years) they cut corners. Not always the dealership but the mechanics. They work flat rate and make more if they can beat the flat rate. The first service is done before any thing needs to be changed but for a reason. They know the oil is not bad and the plugs are not worn out etc. so why bother. The better mechanics don't do first services so in many cases your getting the newbie who does not always know what to look for. If you can do your own. Most dealers don't have a problem hooking you up to buds for a look see. Jmho...:ohyea:

HuckFin
04-18-2013, 05:09 PM
I plan on doing the 600 mile service myself. Besides the oil change and usual maintenance, what else needs to be checked? And what is BUDS?

boborgera
04-18-2013, 06:27 PM
I plan on doing the 600 mile service myself. Besides the oil change and usual maintenance, what else needs to be checked? And what is BUDS?

BRP's Utility and Diagnostic Software Aka. B.U.D.S. Checks for updates and reset maintenance.
Read the manual, there's too much to do for me to list with my hunt and peck typing....

HuckFin
04-18-2013, 07:10 PM
BRP's Utility and Diagnostic Software Aka. B.U.D.S. Checks for updates and reset maintenance.
Read the manual, there's too much to do for me to list with my hunt and peck typing....

Ok thanks....I know, I type the same way myself. I won't be getting the Spider until May so don't have a manual yet. I'll look around and see if I can download one.

NancysToy
04-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Ok thanks....I know, I type the same way myself. I won't be getting the Spider until May so don't have a manual yet. I'll look around and see if I can download one.

You can download one from the Owners Center at the BRP Spyder site. I'd give you the link but I am having some difficulties with my provider right now.

HuckFin
04-18-2013, 09:43 PM
You can download one from the Owners Center at the BRP Spyder site. I'd give you the link but I am having some difficulties with my provider right now.

Thanks much! I just downloaded it.