PDA

View Full Version : FIRST SERVICE -- Many Questions.....

matusky
05-13-2008, 01:04 AM
I don't typically let anyone service my vehicles.... it seems they hire anyone these days who knows how to turn a wrench and the ones that ARE good enough to do the job right have their own businesses doing so and will charge so much that I'd rather do it myself ANYWAY!......... which brings me to this....

I have about 850 miles on my Spyder, oil level has been fine the whole time, it seems my front tires lost a couple lbs of air over the course of the last ......almost 3 weeks (yes, 850 miles in less than 3 weeks and it's been raining almost every other day since I've had it!)

My questions are.........

How many owners have NOT taken their spyder to the dealer for the initial 625 mile service? I know Lamonster didn't...... I'm pretty sure, but who else? since most of us are 100's of miles from the nearest dealer, myself included!

Also, other than an oil and filter change, and a basic 'once-over' what else would one need to be worried about?

Would it be safe to say your risking the warranty by not having the dealer do the first service?

Where's the best place to purchase the oil filters? This is a 'proven' motor that's used on other machines, what other filters can be used and can they be sourced somewhere other than the BRP dealer??

What kind of oil is everyone running?

That's all I have for now, I'm sure there will be lots of other questions as I think of them. Weather will be nice here tomorrow so I think I'll be putting a few more miles on it.... would love to set aside time on Saturday to do the oil change but trying to determine how to proceed.

Putt-Putt
05-13-2008, 07:18 AM
I took mine in for it's first check up. But I will do my own from now on. All I can say to help you is on the oil. I will use Shell Rotella T 5w/40 synthetic. Which you can buy at Wall-mart about $17 a gallon. As good as any and mist reasonably priced.

Buelldog
05-13-2008, 07:45 AM
I guess the major factor to consider for scheduled Dealer service is the computer log in to BRP that Required service was performed at or near recommended mileage.The dealer doesn't do this ......your SPyder is plugged in and codes are transmitted to BRP!So I guess it is the warranty factor.......How BRP will react with a warranty issue when no info shows up in their system!! :dontknow:

Danimal
05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't do the 1st service yourself.... they have the tools to check belt tension and then hook the computer system up and see if anything else is wrong......

majinbusa
05-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Took mine to the dealer for the First initial Service then i did the 3,000 oil change myself took it again to the dealer for the 6250 Service then I'll be doing the oil change again at 9,000 then the dealer for the 12,000 service anything according to the owners manual that can be done by owner I'll just do it myself.

Danimal
05-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Sounds like the good plan majinbusa... that is also what I plan to do.

bjt
05-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Took mine to the dealer for the First initial Service then i did the 3,000 oil change myself took it again to the dealer for the 6250 Service then I'll be doing the oil change again at 9,000 then the dealer for the 12,000 service anything according to the owners manual that can be done by owner I'll just do it myself.

Sounds like the good plan majinbusa... that is also what I plan to do.

Me 3!

:spyder:

COSpyder
05-23-2008, 09:49 PM
We are doing our own service. My sig other was a mechanic for 10 years before becoming a firefighter and he can fix anything with a motor. He has all of the professional tools and he cares about my bike way more than a service tech at the dealer does. I will take it in periodically to be hooked up for software updates but my dealer won't charge for that. The sig other recently worked on some beemers for a trip to Alaska and one of the guys had been paying for serice at the dealer for some time. Turns out, most of it had never been done. I believe if it is okay for Lamonster, it is certainly okay for me!

tfjunkie
05-28-2008, 12:15 AM
BJT...........

What was the price tag for the 6250 mile service?

I am curious too about the training the service techs have received to work on spyders.

John

bjt
05-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Sorry if I somehow created confusion here but I have not had the 6250 mile service done yet. I'm only just hitting about 1500 miles now. I was agreeing with Danimal that I will follow the same service plan as what majinbusa has already done, when the time comes.

majinbusa
05-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I took mine for the 6250 service and the bill was around $270.00.They have a long checklist on what they did.

Derwin
05-31-2008, 12:19 PM
What is the average cost to get the first service done? I will be picking up my Spyder from a dealer in Benton Harbor, MI, which is about 2 hours away from me. But I have a local dealer right down the street that said he would be able to do it. Is it required that we take it to the ORIGINAL dealer for service, just like a car, or will I be able to use my local guy? I know.....probably a stupid question. But I thought I would ask. :-[

Derwin

GinVA
05-31-2008, 12:41 PM
American Can-am stocks filters and brp oil for the spyders. We also have brp certified techs in our shop. If you have any questions on services on your spyder feel free to call us 804-520-4008

VIspyderman
05-31-2008, 12:59 PM
What is the average cost to get the first service done? I will be picking up my Spyder from a dealer in Benton Harbor, MI, which is about 2 hours away from me. But I have a local dealer right down the street that said he would be able to do it. Is it required that we take it to the ORIGINAL dealer for service, just like a car, or will I be able to use my local guy? I know.....probably a stupid question. But I thought I would ask. :-[

Derwin

Your local guy will be able to do it. Cost... well that will probably depend on your relationship with your local dealer as every shop has a different price. And... there's no such thing as a stupid question... just use the military phrase I always use.... "The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask!!!"

Derwin
05-31-2008, 02:34 PM
And... there's no such thing as a stupid question... just use the military phrase I always use.... "The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask!!!"

Thanks. I usually go by that statement myself!

The local place that is now carrying Spyders is actually a marine. They sell boats and watercraft, and most of what they sell is VERY expensive. I hope it don't cost me an arm and a leg to get the Spyder serviced there. But I guess I'll find out.

Derwin

Greg H.
07-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I took mine for the 6250 service and the bill was around $270.00.They have a long checklist on what they did.

$270 for the service including the Valve Adjustment? That would not be very bad at all!

BRPjunkie
07-10-2008, 12:27 PM
600 mile service completed today at C&C Sports in Brighton, MI. $91/hr labor, 1.5 hrs, $136. Oil $44, misc washers, o-rings and disposal fees brought total to $192. I provided the filter as I purchased one when I took delivery. That would have added $17. Only adjustment needed was drive belt which had worked its way too close to the flange. Response to the muffler burn spot was that the replacements have been burning too, so I should wait until BRP gets it right. Not sure if that means they are working on it, that they hope we all just ride and forget or that we switch out pipes and don't care. I've seen lower and higher prices, but not too unhappy with $200.

jimjel
07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
There is a recent post on another board where a guy said he paid $800 for the 6k mile service. Required valve adjustment on the front cylinder.

dltang
07-10-2008, 07:17 PM
There is a recent post on another board where a guy said he paid $800 for the 6k mile service. Required valve adjustment on the front cylinder.

6000 check up is different than 600 check up. I don't know anything about valve adjustment costs but I sure hope I don't pay $800 at 6000k because that is not that far away for me.

csmead
07-10-2008, 08:44 PM
I hear you dltang...I am 500 miles away from my 6000K. I bought the extended warranty and will need to take it in for service. My husband changed the oil at home, but I purchased oil and filter at my dealership (I had them ship it to me, along with some parts that had been replaced under warranty). I hope the service cost is reasonable as I also have a little ways to travel and don't feel like gouged twice (services + gas prices).

Rokonman
07-11-2008, 05:31 AM
How much did the 6,000 mile service cost? They do a valve check at that service, correct?

Belo
07-11-2008, 07:18 AM
It is important to verify the belt tension after 600 miles and I doubt any home mechanics has it's own sonic tension meter! If you do have one, make sure you keep bills for oil and filter with the date to back you up if you ever have a warranty issue.

IMO, 200$ is cheap for the first service and the peace of mind (my 2 cents...)

mike3069
07-11-2008, 08:29 AM
My first service cost: $69.98 for oil & filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love my dealer Progressive Motorsports, Hudson Falls, NY.

At 1st service my belt tension when I rode in was ~350 on the meter. After cool down meter read ~250. Factory recomended is 1500. Had them reset to 1400. I have since lowered the tension another 1/4 turn (90 degrees) on the screws. And I'm considering going looser yet.

At Homecoming, I talked with one of the enginners at the factory and asked him how critical this tension thing is.

His reply: "As long as there is no issue with belt vibration FOR YOU (my emphasis) the tension is not critical." :shocked:

NancysToy
07-11-2008, 09:27 AM
At Homecoming, I talked with one of the enginners at the factory and asked him how critical this tension thing is.

His reply: "As long as there is no issue with belt vibration FOR YOU (my emphasis) the tension is not critical." :shocked:
Now that's some useful inside information. Thanks!

blown34
07-15-2008, 02:14 PM
I spoke with my selling dealer and they said that anyone can do their own 600 mi. service. I spent about $55.00 for the BRP Oil and filter and did it myself. My dealer wanted $200.00. I strongely recommend doing the oil services yourself, I was able to pull the drain plugs and leave them out for a few hours to throughly drain all the oil, the dealer can't spend that much time and they aren't nearly as careful as I am doing the work.

Sopher
07-16-2008, 09:59 PM
600 mile service completed today at C&C Sports in Brighton, MI. $91/hr labor, 1.5 hrs, $136. Oil $44, misc washers, o-rings and disposal fees brought total to $192. I provided the filter as I purchased one when I took delivery. That would have added $17. Only adjustment needed was drive belt which had worked its way too close to the flange. Response to the muffler burn spot was that the replacements have been burning too, so I should wait until BRP gets it right. Not sure if that means they are working on it, that they hope we all just ride and forget or that we switch out pipes and don't care. I've seen lower and higher prices, but not too unhappy with $200.

My dealer charges $70/hr and the first service takes 2.5 hrs. Final charge: $250

scottmanesis
07-16-2008, 10:16 PM
My first Spyder addition is going to be the Service Manual. The way I see it, I will have just as much experience with the machine as the local tech, he is just going to refer to same manual, pretty sure I own the wrench already....if I did not I would still go buy that before I pay that other guy to read the manual and follow directions. The split knuckles, well that just strengthens our relationship now don't it? We can fight all nite out in the garage if need be but she better be nice to me while out on the road because of the love I gave her in blood and sweat to get us out there!

Wait a minute is this a vehicle I am talking about? :rolleyes:

Wheelz
07-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Man, down here in San Diego (alba action sports) the initial 600mi service was $327. You guys are getting a bargain. And to top it off, (literally) the tech put too much oil into the crankcase. it was way over the "full" mark. I swear man, it's better to do our own service if you want it done right.

SSL4X4
07-16-2008, 11:33 PM
My dealer charges around $300 for the first service. I bought a service package/extended warranty however. This covers UNLIMITED service and warranty for an extra year beyond the standard BRP warranty and they will service it as often as I like. This includes oil changes and there is no mileage limit. As much as I plan to ride this could definitely be worthwhile. While I never buy extended warranties this seemed like a decent deal since it covers all the service too!!