PDA

View Full Version : Question about coolant

Spyderjockey
04-17-2013, 08:53 PM
I started a ride today and about 2 miles into the ride my 2008 GS went into limp mode because of overheating with 7 bars. I stopped and let it cool down and started it up again and went to 7 bars again but not into limp mode and then the bars went down to 5. When I got home I tried to view the coolant resevoir but I couldn't tell how much coolant was showing, finally took one of the tupperware panels off and with a flashlight was able to see little or no coolant in the resevoir, so I added about 1 1/2 quarts(just a guess) to bring it up just under the max line. I drained and refilled the coolant last spring and never had any overheating issues except for one day a couple of weeks ago when it went up to 7 bars momentarily and then went back down to the normal range and no limp mode. I just thought it was a fluke. My question is where did all that coolant go, it has never shown any leaks and I just changed my oil a couple of days ago and that looked absolutely normal. I am at a loss as to how it lost all that coolant. Any input would be aprreciated. Thanks!!

spyder-dude
04-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Have you checked the engine oil and see if it looks alright or if it is foamy looking?

NancysToy
04-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Depending on how infrequently you check the level, it could have leaked slowly and evaporated the leakage. It could also have blown out the overflow or could have sprung a drastic leak that dumped everything quite suddenly, while you were riding. I would be surprised if you are out of the woods yet. Better keep a very close eye on the level.

Spyderjockey
04-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I started a ride today and about 2 miles into the ride my 2008 GS went into limp mode because of overheating with 7 bars. I stopped and let it cool down and started it up again and went to 7 bars again but not into limp mode and then the bars went down to 5. When I got home I tried to view the coolant resevoir but I couldn't tell how much coolant was showing, finally took one of the tupperware panels off and with a flashlight was able to see little or no coolant in the resevoir, so I added about 1 1/2 quarts(just a guess) to bring it up just under the max line. I drained and refilled the coolant last spring and never had any overheating issues except for one day a couple of weeks ago when it went up to 7 bars momentarily and then went back down to the normal range and no limp mode. I just thought it was a fluke. My question is where did all that coolant go, it has never shown any leaks and I just changed my oil a couple of days ago and that looked absolutely normal. I am at a loss as to how it lost all that coolant. Any input would be aprreciated. Thanks!!

Ya Shawn, I mentioned that in my post. I suppose it is possible that something could have happened since I changed the oil...but I doubt it. I'll check the dip stick in the morning and see if it looks milky or if it shows high on the dip stick.

Spyderjockey
04-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Depending on how infrequently you check the level, it could have leaked slowly and evaporated the leakage. It could also have blown out the overflow or could have sprung a drastic leak that dumped everything quite suddenly, while you were riding. I would be surprised if you are out of the woods yet. Better keep a very close eye on the level.

After I filled the coolant resevoir today I went for about an 85 mile ride and checked the coolant level when I got back and it seemed to be alright. The bike ran great and never went above 4 bars.:dontknow: You might know this would happen so close to us leaving for Spyderfest.:yikes:

Spyderjockey
04-17-2013, 09:35 PM
I just went out to the garage and checked oil and it is completely normal looking, no milkiness or frothing and at same level as when I changed it a couple of days ago. I admit I haven't been checking the coolant level too often. I used to check it quite frequently and it was always up in the normal range. It is kind of a pain to see the coolant level thru the opaque plastic resevoir. I wish they would come up with another material or at least a clear sight glass that is easier to see the coolant thru.

Rayelljay
04-17-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm going through a similar thing. I was diagnosed with a split tank. Also you might have burped the cooling system when the thermostat is wide open. Remember what you go through on a car......?...when you top off the header tank when everything has been run up to operating temperature to get all the excess air out.

Chupaca
04-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Scotty
:agree: you need to very vigilant of the coolant. This may have been an oversight or freak occurrence but better safe than sorry...!! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
04-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Is your fan running when it is supposed to? You may have a bad relay for the fan which will cause you to overheat and lose coolant.

Spyderjockey
04-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Is your fan running when it is supposed to? You may have a bad relay for the fan which will cause you to overheat and lose coolant.

Hi Ann, that was one of the first things I checked and that is working just the way it is supposed to. I am going to keep a close eye on the coolant level. Looking forward to seeing you at Spyderfest this year again.:thumbup:

bobnaquin
04-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi Ann, that was one of the first things I checked and that is working just the way it is supposed to. I am going to keep a close eye on the coolant level. Looking forward to seeing you at Spyderfest this year again.:thumbup: I would change out all of the relays and tie wrap the fuse box cover firmly in place before heading out. My relays started going bad in sequence on a five year old Spyder. And the cover does not latch on the front catch for some reason that I cannot correct. Cheap enough to do. I don't have any idea where your coolant could have gone. Maybe you had some air in the system and that is why you got that momentary temperature spike and return to normal.

xpeschon
04-18-2013, 09:32 AM
burped the cooling system when the thermostat is wide open..

This is what I was thinking right off the bat.. Sounds like you have resolved the issue though, see ya soon..

X Man

Bootie
04-18-2013, 10:35 AM
After the BRP Event last year in Durango, CO, I rode up to Montana with a couple of friends. We planned to
go into Alberta and BC. The weather was HOT (110 deg) but we chugged right along. After I got up into
Northern MT, my RT began losing power. I could only get to 45mph but the Limp Home light never came on
and the temperature never read more that 5-bars. I decided to turn around and ended up in Kalispel, MT
where the nearest dealer was. It was Sunday so I had to stay overnight. Next morning everything ran fine.
I went to the Dealer in Kalispel and had them check it over anyway ($35) and they found nothing wrong.
As the tech was putting the tupperware back on he checked the coolant reservoir and there was ZERO COOLANT.
It had all boiled away in the Colorado heat. He refilled the reservoir and I have not had the problem since:bowdown:

It looks, to me, like this is what happened...
1) The coolant boiled out because of the high temps.
2) The engine began to overheat.
3) The computer increased the fuel mixture to compensate for the increased cylinder temps.
4) The temp stayed in the acceptable range but the fuel mixture was too rich for efficient combustion.
Hence the poor performance.
Next morning after things had cooled down, everything ran fine.
Lesson here...Keep an eye on your coolant:lecturef_smilie:

Sarge707
04-18-2013, 11:32 AM
I just went out to the garage and checked oil and it is completely normal looking, no milkiness or frothing and at same level as when I changed it a couple of days ago. I admit I haven't been checking the coolant level too often. I used to check it quite frequently and it was always up in the normal range. It is kind of a pain to see the coolant level thru the opaque plastic resevoir. I wish they would come up with another material or at least a clear sight glass that is easier to see the coolant thru.

When I changed my coolant Last Spring the Service Manual said to fill it then check it after a decent ride because the coolant level could have lowered after a good run and maybe you really didn,t notice it All summer ? and in NY it never got steamy hot like down south?
That would help explain the loss?:dontknow:

donec
04-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks about asking about coolant. Just yesterday I noticed I got 6 bars and it wasn't that hot (in the hi 70's). I did notice that when the fan came on at a light the temp would drop a bar but I still feel like 6 bars is too high and then I saw your thread.

Can some one explain what it meant by burping your coolant system and how you do it? I was a mechanic for many years but never heard of that.

Also the manual says use 50% antifreeze with 50% distilled water and for years I have just used the Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant in my cars, but don't know if it should be mixed with distilled water for the spyder. Suggestions welcome.

asp125
04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Can some one explain what it meant by burping your coolant system and how you do it? I was a mechanic for many years but never heard of that.

Burping means simply getting all the air out of the coolant circuit. I experienced that on my GSXR after a coolant flush one time; higher than normal operating temps. I was advised to squeeze the hoses and check all the high points in the circuit for air pockets. Once I got rid of any air pockets, and topped off the coolant, temps returned to normal.

Sarge707
04-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Thanks about asking about coolant. Just yesterday I noticed I got 6 bars and it wasn't that hot (in the hi 70's). I did notice that when the fan came on at a light the temp would drop a bar but I still feel like 6 bars is too high and then I saw your thread.

Also the manual says use 50% antifreeze with 50% distilled water and for years I have just used the Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant in my cars, but don't know if it should be mixed with distilled water for the spyder. Suggestions welcome.

Just make sure the bottle Jug says 50/50 Mixture like most do--- BUT some are 100% antifreeze so be careful Not to use that unless you dilute it 50/50 with Distilled water? (I think thats the kinda water)
:pray:

r1100rider
04-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Don't ignore the possibility of bugs ,straw or other things plugging the fins on radiator then slight over heating and slow boil off of coolant and loss to the overflow tube

BLUEZL600EFI
04-23-2013, 08:34 AM
You could have had an air pocket that finally "burped" (meaning it was stuck somewhere in the cooling system) after some miles of heating/cooling and bouncing.
I would just keep an eye on the level and don't stress about it too much.

Tierhog
04-24-2013, 12:26 AM
I used a silicate free/aluminum safe premixed prestone. Maybe I read to fast and you found the problem already. If not, double check that coolant cap is on tight (beyond the indent), inspect coolant bottle and all hoses for cracks...the bottle has been known to crack. I have a link for a new one if needed. Look over the radiator and if check the drain bolt for snugness. Any recent service?

Following the hoses is a pain, but necessary. Hope that helps.

beanoil
04-24-2013, 07:03 AM
Also the manual says use 50% antifreeze with 50% distilled water and for years I have just used the Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant in my cars, but don't know if it should be mixed with distilled water for the spyder. Suggestions welcome. Always distilled water with coolant. The BRP stuff is mixed with distilled, it's indicated on the label. There is a thread here somewhere with the links to msds for BRP products. The BRP offering is Shellzone, made obviously by Shell. It's a low silicate formula, which surprises me, because most bike engines use a silicate free formula. I would shy away from any universal or DexCool product for the Spyder.