PDA

View Full Version : DESPERATE - RT Wont Start

viiiball
04-17-2013, 06:28 PM
I am desperate as (funny enough) trying to get RT started to get into shop for an already scheduled maintenance tomorrow. Have a 2011 RT that developed a problem this morning. Bike will turn over but not start. After trying to start the oil lamp stays lit. Oil measurement on dip stick is low so I do need to add some oil but question is this... Will a low oil or oil pressure situation cause the RT not to start? I can't imagine that would be the issue. Headed to the store to get oil though.

Any thoughts on why it won't start?

My dealer is over 80 miles away and I would have to get it towed and that will be an expensive tow so I'd rather find a way to get it started

NEW INFO: This is my wife's bike. She washed it yesterday. Says it started fine getting back into the garage so it may have sit wet. Any thoughts here?

Thanks, Doug

Illinois Boy
04-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Put oil in it as you planned to do and see. Let us know.

It is somewhat peculiar that it "turns-over" without ignition though. That scenario opens-up a variety of potential causes.

We'll see if it is something as simple as the oil-level. If so, that would actually be impressive, in my opinion.

Let us know though...

spyryder
04-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Crank it with the throttle wide open, it could be flooded.

Jeriatric
04-17-2013, 06:52 PM
You are checking the oil level COLD... it may or may not need oil......if it is low as you say it may be well within normal operating range when checked hot.

Won't start? Could be moisture. Especially if she washed it in sun light and left it standing there when drying it off. jmy2c

Not saying she did anything wrong. It's as simple as there could be a bad seal on something like the kill switch and with the sun heating it, it sucked in some moisture. Not likely, but possible.

Netminder
04-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Crank it with the throttle wide open, it could be flooded.
Have to agree, had the same issue once last year and doing the above, it started right away!:thumbup:

bikeguy
04-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Crank it with the throttle wide open, it could be flooded. :agree: This would at least be a good starting place. Cotton

boborgera
04-17-2013, 07:21 PM
If you can't start the engine, The dipstick will read low, as in to the bottom. If you add oil you will most likely over fill it and when you do start it you will get blow-by in the air box ,And also it may foul the spark plugs.
Like spyrider said, hold the throttle wide open.

billybovine
04-17-2013, 07:35 PM
It is absolutely normal for your oil pressure light to be on with the key on and the engine not running. This is the same as most vehicles on the road today. The Spyder does not have a oil level sensor so even if the oil was low there is no light to warn you. So it is highly unlikely that oil has anything to do with it. Some good advice about the engine being flooded. Try that and let us know.

viiiball
04-17-2013, 07:38 PM
WOT did nothing but completely kill the bike. Now it won't even turn over. I'm suspecting a battery/electrical issue. Guess I'm towing it.

NancysToy
04-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Charge your battery and try again.

dadof4
04-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Hi ViiBall,

I have a question. Check your messages. Thanks